Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If anyone gets a delivery in July from a post May 25 build and that delivery is not on the recall list and can be driven off the lot then we know Ford has a workable solution and if it’s truly just software then those of us with stop sale cars at dealerships could see our cars by end of July.

If however, post May 25 builds are not delivered or are included in the recall and stop sale then it’s likely the wait for the fix could be much longer maybe into late September assuming they can meet the Q3 target.

So for me a key data point will be if anyone gets a delivery from a post May 25 build in the next 4 weeks let’s say. This is what I will be watching for
Just for clarity Ford states in one of their documents that all vehicles manufactured 5/25 and after will have the new software installed. So no recall for them. No comment on new hardware in the document. It also states the OTA’s will begin in July and I would assume after the letter goes out scheduled for July 18th. Ford also stated the consumer can go to the dealer for the update versus OTA. So my guess is once the OTA is available dealers will update cars in inventory/hold asap to make the sale. Hopefully the timing does not change unless sooner for those waiting for their cars.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This.

My 5/25 build is arriving between 6/27 and 7/3 but I hear it is already in Jacksonville so I suspect it will be at my dealer next weekend at the latest. My dealer thinks it needs to be held but none of us really knows until the car arrives.
Which dealer?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
In case anyone is interested Ford paid $2188.83 for this claim on my car. $932.20 in labor $1256.63 for the part. 6.1 hours of labor billed. 286 claims according to the NHTSA doc means this has cost Ford $600k so far + a bunch of engineering and admin time.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Does anyone know how this works if you are out of the country? Our next planned trip is up into Canada. Still planning to Take the Mach-e, but if it does while we are North of the Border, I am not sure how Ford would handle that....
That is a very good question. I would reach out to Ford directly for that answer. I know for some manufactures the warranty on a USA sold car is only good in the USA. At the very least I am sure there would need to be some "special approvals" that would have to be made if the car broke down in Canada for warranty work to be completed in Canada.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Hi,
New to this forum, new MME owner (premium). Appreciate the intel I've been getting on various topics. Our car falls within the dates of this battery snafu. Read all I can find about this, but have not found anything on whether it's dangerous to drive the car. The "and the vehicle will experience an immediate loss of motive power" particularly concerns me. Have y'all seen anything about what people who already have the car are supposed to do? Many thanks.
--Mark
Most occurrences were when the vehicle was parked, turned off, then it wouldn't turn on. That is the contactor welded shut scenario, apparently the most common.
But a few folks experienced the "stuck open" scenario, where you lose power while driving. It scared people a bit, but it was very rare.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
It's a big bummer. I was scheduled for the following week and skipped the recall.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
If anyone gets a delivery in July from a post May 25 build and that delivery is not on the recall list and can be driven off the lot then we know Ford has a workable solution and if it’s truly just software then those of us with stop sale cars at dealerships could see our cars by end of July.

If however, post May 25 builds are not delivered or are included in the recall and stop sale then it’s likely the wait for the fix could be much longer maybe into late September assuming they can meet the Q3 target.

So for me a key data point will be if anyone gets a delivery from a post May 25 build in the next 4 weeks let’s say. This is what I will be watching for
I don't know yet if post 5/25 cars will be delivered or not. Evidence suggests it will because my car, which production is wrapping up now (and others listed as shipped) doesn't show on the NHTSA list and therefore is not recalled. I will ask the dealer as soon as it ships.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
and even if it does brick itself, Ford will fix it and you will be back on the road with the updated part at no charge to you.
Exactly! One could even see as beneficial to have a failure now because of the possibility of getting a new part.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

6/15 build: Went into production 4/20 ( two months sitting around for no reason )
5/25 build: Went into production 5/24 or 5/25 (delayed by a week since I was in the 5/16 week)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Those free hours expire for me at the end of March, 2023. So if I have to rent another car for the trip, since the MME is not capable of safely making that trip and those free charging sessions expire, what a deal for Ford!!!
In the FWIW department, Fird already paid for those hours (generally 250 or 500) so it’s a deal, of dirts, for EA. Ford did not pay full retail though as you can imagine.

You also have company. I personally have not used a single kWh of my free hours. Nowhere to use them here. As for the rest, drive conservatively approaching and leaving a DCFC station. Minimize the risk.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I took the repurchase from GM. The process took about four months from start to approval. Whether you get one depends heavily on the lemon laws in your state. All that said, I was part of the first recall on my 2017 Bolt. The initial software solution wasn't really designed to fix defective batteries, it was designed to identify bad cells in batteries with the manufacturing defect. It didn't work, but not because it was supposed to fix defective batteries. We don't have to imagine the conversations that were going on behind the scenes between GM and LG about what to do next, we can tell by what happened, which was LG ended up paying 90% of the cost of replacing all of the batteries. BTW, who makes the batteries for the MME?

So now where am I now? Waiting on the MME I ordered to replace the Bolt. It was supposed to be delivered in a week or so, but now I have no idea when I will see it. The dealership knows nothing. Out of the frying pan...
That sucks The Bolt's pack design compounded the failures from LG in construction in terms of combustible nature and thermal runaway due to a single anode breach or short. Unfortunately, LG makes a hell of a lot more than just those packs but that is what it is. Same with whoever the A-holes are they either under-specced the MME contactor or made it with too high a variance.

I don't believe GM handled the battery issues well, at least not at the beginning and the stupid changing recommendations were a joke and I should remind you They even coined one of the software updates "a final solution" so they were on essence bumbling through something which is how it felt all along until the battery replacement plan came out. They righted that ship eventually and eventually I did also take a trade/swap for some money down (Mine took way longer than yours as my concierges and buyback coordinators kept getting fired/quitting/dying) and although I had intended to keep my new EUV, but then the $6k MSRP drop came and would wipe out much of what looked like a great deal. That MSRP drop was tone deaf right now on the heels of a massive recall still underway.

The new ones gone, I took the equity and what should have been my original trade in value if I hadn't been waiting on a new battery still and left GM. Time will tell if Kia and Ford end up being any better.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know yet if post 5/25 cars will be delivered or not. Evidence suggests it will because my car, which production is wrapping up now (and others listed as shipped) doesn't show on the NHTSA list and therefore is not recalled. I will ask the dealer as soon as it ships.
Ford’s document sent to NHTSA states cars manufactured after 5/25 will have the software installed during manufacturing process. So no logical reason for them to not be released when they arrive at the dealer.
Sponsored