itzbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The stupidity of it all is that if Ford has stated that a software fix has been applied since the end of may so why is it even taking until July for it to be released. I know there is the usual excuses of Ford is not a software company, but f'k me talk about a pathetic slow roll out.
Not defending Ford's perceived lack of progress.. but speaking from a position as a software engineer, installing an update in a semi controlled environment with known variables (factory or dealership) is an infinitely simpler task to perfect and provide troubleshooting for, compared to sending out an ota update where every home network could be different and having to deal with potentially corrupted downloads or other minor issues that were overlooked during development.

For perspective, even giant software companies like Apple and Google took years of manually applying updates through a computer before you could perform ota updates on your phone (mostly) without it disrupting your daily routine.
Sponsored

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
I would imagine the software is going into the post 24 builds, and the actual fixed part will be as my original comment we just don't know yet as we don't have enough information on production lead times for all of the components and existing stock levels.

The stupidity of it all is that if Ford has stated that a software fix has been applied since the end of may so why is it even taking until July for it to be released. I know there is the usual excuses of Ford is not a software company, but f'k me talk about a pathetic slow roll out.

I can understand the delay when dealing with a recall of existing vehicles due to needing to post out letters, but there can't be that many cars sitting on lots that owners now have to twiddle thumbs over waiting on a software fix that already exists that could have easily been applied at the dealer as part of PDI.
Ford hasn't stated anything about the software except that the OTA updates will start rolling out next month. When the cars on the stop-sale will be updated, they haven't said one, single thing. I would guesstimate at least six weeks of production is in this category. Maybe 5-6,000 cars? All are stuck in the twilight zone, along with the customers who ordered them.

Ford is clear that post 5/24 Mach’s have the software update but say nothing about the part number change. I have no idea on the part other than the number changed for some reason and it could be upgraded but I do not know. If I remember the part number changed prior to 5/25 and I would suspect it is cars after that. Once again all that is for sure is Ford’s stated resolution to the recall is the software update period.
Well again, Ford hasn't said anything about the software update except that it will start rolling out OTA next month and is the fix for the pre-5-25 production. Whether it's being applied to all cars coming off the line since then is simply not known. The many weeks (possibly, months) of delay between 5-25 and when the update will be available for the stop-sale cars suggests to me that perhaps it hasn't been deployed at all yet.

Another analogy to the Bolt recall. In that mess GM told customers nothing about when their cars would repaired. This can be taken only one way, which is anything they told us about how long we'd be waiting would be bad news. And it has been. Many Bolt owners are still waiting for their new batteries almost a year later. If Ford could give us encouraging news, they'd have done it already.

reirey

First Name
Reina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
From what I've read so far Ford has yet to notify which cars (VIN) are affected by this recall. They probably won't for another month or so. I'm in SF and I have a road trip to Socal planned for July 4th week. Should I not take my Mach-E with me? This is a bummer because I was looking forward to driving my car on a much longer trip for the first time. I can't help but feel anxious about this recall. What do you guys think?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford hasn't stated anything about the software except that the OTA updates will start rolling out next month. When the cars on the stop-sale will be updated, they haven't said one, single thing. I would guesstimate at least six weeks of production is in this category. Maybe 5-6,000 cars? All are stuck in the twilight zone, along with the customers who ordered them.

Well again, Ford hasn't said anything about the software update except that it will start rolling out OTA next month and is the fix for the pre-5-25 production. Whether it's being applied to all cars coming off the line since then is simply not known. The many weeks (possibly, months) of delay between 5-25 and when the update will be available for the stop-sale cars suggests to me that perhaps it hasn't been deployed at all yet.

Another analogy to the Bolt recall. In that mess GM told customers nothing about when their cars would repaired. This can be taken only one way, which is anything they told us about how long we'd be waiting would be bad news. And it has been. Many Bolt owners are still waiting for their new batteries almost a year later. If Ford could give us encouraging news, they'd have done it already.
Please read the NHTSA filing. Ford states vehicles built after 5/25 have the software update. The 573 report page 10

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
From what I've read so far Ford has yet to notify which cars (VIN) are affected by this recall. They probably won't for another month or so. I'm in SF and I have a road trip to Socal planned for July 4th week. Should I not take my Mach-E with me? This is a bummer because I was looking forward to driving my car on a much longer trip for the first time. I can't help but feel anxious about this recall. What do you guys think?
Your vehicle IS part of this recall.

If I were you, I'd enjoy the road trip. Your rear wheel drive, standard range Mach-E (much like mine!) seems to have a much lower likelihood of suffering from this component failure than any of the other Mach-E trim combinations.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
IMHO, the software patch is simply going to give Ford time to gather up 50,000 HVBJB replacements and install them over a longer period of time. They simply do not have the capacity to fix all of these immediately. But if these fail at say 3000 per month, that is quite do-able, since there are about 3,000 Ford dealerships in the USA. I know, some dealerships will have five and some zero per month. The question is, can they get this part delivered in this kind of volume? The point is that if they can, they can have all affected cars fixed in less than 18 months. If the GT's are being driven hard, the contactors are going to fail more quickly, so those will be fixed in the early months.

If Ford wants to keep this from blowing up in their faces, they need to make sure the software is tracking the contactors, and at the first sign of a problem to get the car to the dealership before the car dies. And in a perfect world, the parts should be in stock at every dealership with a repair procedure that can get the car fixed in a day. The current system of waiting a week or two for the part to arrive is just not going to cut it with people that spent this kind of money from a major manufacturer that said they would stand behind their vehicles.

So my hope is that this new software patch will not reduce performance and/or charging until it senses that the contactor is no longer working at spec. Then it reduces power to give you time to get things set up for repair. Once the repair is completed, performance is returned to normal.

We can hope, can't we??? Because quite honestly, my MME is just about 15 months old, and it has already been in the shop over 30 days for windshield, roof glass, frozen brake pads, 1.7.1 stuck software, and other CSP/TSB recalls. My charge port is now overheating and not working correctly and now we find out that the main contactor for the battery is going to fail at some point, requiring more shop time. And I am not happy about it. My 2012 Chevy Volt with a serial # in the low 7000 range was eight years old when I traded it in, and it was in the shop for about 14 days total. That is the kind of reliability I was hoping for with my MME with a serial number in the high 8000's. Continually inconveniencing me is not how to make me a loyal Ford repeat customer.

Jim

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
compared to sending out an ota update where every home network could be different and having to deal with potentially corrupted downloads or other minor issues that were overlooked during development.
What “home network”? I’m one of those Verizon Fios users who can’t connect my car to my home network despite reading through the many threads here in the topic. But that aside, point well taken.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
The failure rate is nowhere near that.
Agreed, but we have no idea how many of those parts are near the failure point, which is what the software patch is going to show us. And better to get them fixed before they do actually fail!

I would actually like to know this information, as right now I am concerned every time my wife takes the car out.

Jim

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Yeah, but isn't that 5/25 switchover akin to a beta test? Although, then why not release the post 5/25 cars at the dealer? maybe they will.

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please read the NHTSA filing. Ford states vehicles built after 5/25 have the software update. The 573 report page 10
Thanks, I have actually seen that wording. But it doesn't explain why the software has been installed on cars at the factory for a month now, but dealerships are still unable to install it on cars on delivery hold, let alone, when that will happen. It also doesn't explain all this talk (rumors) about a "new part," which only confuses the issue further over whether some mechanical change was also made to the post 5-24 builds. Ford could clarify all of this. The fact that they choose not to clarify it is not encouraging. I will shoot another email to my dealership today and see if they can shed any light on this situation, but my guess is they continue to know nothing, at least not anything they will be willing to share.

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, but isn't that 5/25 switchover akin to a beta test? Although, then why not release the post 5/25 cars at the dealer? maybe they will.
Probably the post 5-24 builds are just starting to arrive at dealerships. If anyone is able to take delivery of one they might let us know.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Agreed, but we have no idea how many of those parts are near the failure point, which is what the software patch is going to show us. And better to get them fixed before they do actually fail!

I would actually like to know this information, as right now I am concerned every time my wife takes the car out.

Jim
I don't think the software patch is going to show us (the customer) anything at all.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
My MME is just about 15 months old, and it has already been in the shop over 30 days for windshield, roof glass, frozen brake pads, 1.7.1 stuck software, and other CSP/TSB recalls. My charge port is now overheating and not working correctly and now we find out that the main contactor for the battery is going to fail at some point, requiring more shop time. And I am not happy about it. My 2012 Chevy Volt with a serial # in the low 7000 range was eight years old when I traded it in, and it was in the shop for about 14 days total. That is the kind of reliability I was hoping for with my MME with a serial number in the high 8000's. Continually inconveniencing me is not how to make me a loyal Ford repeat customer
Ford needs to stop talking about how great their quality is, and actually have some quality. That is crazy amount of issues. I have an early Volt also it is great.

This Ford article bragging is laughable now.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/ford-mach-e-tesla-model-y-quality/
Sponsored