Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ā€˜21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last updated 6/14/22
DO NOT CALL YOUR DEALER TO SCHEDULE SERVICE! PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!!

At the bottom of this post I have added information to help people understand what is going on.

NOTE: NOT ALL VEHICLES ARE AFFECTED NECESSARILY. VIN lists will be distributed when the time comes. Please be patient. Just know Ford has recognized this problem exists and it is a safety related issue. No action should be done at this time from any Mach E owner.

It's finally here! This is the recall for the HVBJB issues people have been having. Note this is an ADVANCE NOTICE recall meaning no fix is available but Ford has identified a problem! It is safe to continue driving your car in my opinion.

Anyone with an affected VIN that hasn't taken delivery of their car yet...I'm sorry but if it was built before May 24th you won't be able to until at least Q3.

You will be notified in the mail if you have an affected vehicle when parts/software updates are available! Do not call the dealer now!

Bulletin to dealers below:
------------------------
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Advance Notice - Safety Recall 22S41
Certain 2021-2022 Model Year Mustang Mach-E Vehicles
Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) Software Update

Affected Vehicles: Certain 20201-2022 Mustang Mach E's produced at Cuautitlan between May 27, 2020 and May 24, 2022.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In the affected vehicles, it is possible that the high voltage battery main contactors may overheat, which can result in an open contactor or welding condition. Should the contactors weld closed while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated on the next drive cycle, along with a no start condition.
If the contactors open while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated, the vehicle will display Stop Safely Now in the instrument panel cluster, and the vehicle will experience an immediate loss of motive power. The vehicle will coast to a stop, and all 12V systems including power brakes and steering will remain functional.
SERVICE ACTION
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 3rd quarter of 2022 when it is anticipated that software and/or parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.

PDF HERE:

View attachment r22S41AN.pdf
----------------------------
Another Note from me: This thread is just to help people become informed. There are NO publicly released FACTS about this issue. Anything is speculation. Please wait for Ford to notify you and release more information.

What we do think we know. NOTE THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL FORD STATEMENTS THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON INFORMATION I HAVE GATHERED ON THIS FORUM!
What is the HVBJB?
HVBJB is the assembly that has contactors, fuses, and some other electrical components at the front inside of the battery pack. This connects the DCFC to the HVB as well as the rest of the car when it is turned on.

What is the problem?
The HVBJB contactors can get in a stuck open or stuck closed state. From reading failures on the forum I have gathered that MOST failures are the + contactor that powers the whole car welding closed due to excessive heat. If this happens the car will not turn off while driving but will not restart.

Why is this a safety recall?
If the contactor gets stuck open while driving the car will lose its propulsion and 12v battery charging. This could be dangerous. If it gets stuck closed it is unlikely to cause an unsafe condition, but if both the + and - become stuck closed then the battery cannot be isolated which can be dangerous. Therefore the vehicle will not restart if one is stuck closed.

Am I a part of the recall?
We don't know yet. You need to wait for Ford to notify you. There is no reason to look now, though you can find out with Ford chat or running your vin in Ford ETIS. I do not recommend calling your dealer at this time unless your vehicle has a drivability issue. It appears possibly every single Mach E built before May 24, 2022 may be impacted but it is unknown at this time.

What is the fix?
Exact fix for each vehicle is unknown. It appears a new HVBJB part may be required, a software update may be required, or both. We do not know and will not know until Ford releases more information.

What should I do now?
Absolutely nothing. Continue driving your car. The only advice I can give is especially if you have a GT/GT Performance model try to avoid a lot of high speed driving (90MPH+) and try to do your best to be easy on the throttle. Back to back full throttle applications can generate a lot of heat in the battery components including the HVBJB and heat seems to be the largest cause of this failure. Again this is MY OPINION, not any facts given to us from Ford.

When can I expect more information?
Great question! Ford says fix coming Q3...but from what I've gathered its most likely late August at the earliest we will see something. I would expect more information released when the fix is available around then. Patience is a virtue now. I will update this with the latest information as it is released.

Also guys I wouldn't hold your breath on this removing the 5 second power limit for the GT. I believe there are other limitations of the battery pack causing that.
Would be nice to know the theory of operation/ sequencing of mechanicals.
HVBJB contains only the main contactor ?
the main contactor is energized when start is pushed? Stays on until car is turned off?
What does Ford use for arc-suppression? Pre-charge contactor?
Are any of the other contactors suspect? DCFC CONTACTORā€¦ā€¦.?
Are there any OBD pids I should be monitoring?

We have a 600 mile trip planned for the end of July, still going, but this situation IS in the back of my mind!
The highest HVB amp draw I have seen is around 660 ampsā€¦..
ā€˜21, premium,ER,AWD. Thanks for all the information you have provided. Bill P.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, I have actually seen that wording. But it doesn't explain why the software has been installed on cars at the factory for a month now, but dealerships are still unable to install it on cars on delivery hold, let alone, when that will happen. It also doesn't explain all this talk (rumors) about a "new part," which only confuses the issue further over whether some mechanical change was also made to the post 5-24 builds. Ford could clarify all of this. The fact that they choose not to clarify it is not encouraging. I will shoot another email to my dealership today and see if they can shed any light on this situation, but my guess is they continue to know nothing, at least not anything they will be willing to share.
I believe the updates at the dealer and OTA may be a different upload process than at the factory. It could also be legal jumbo jumbo that is causing the delay in pushing the software out to already built cars. As for the part there was much discussion about it. A forum contributor who seems fairly knowledgeable shared quite a bit of good information regarding the HVBJB issue. That is where I first saw information about a changed part number. That being said I have not seen anything that discusses what was changed within the part. My general sense was and is that those more in the know were greatly disappointed that the fix is software and not upgraded hardware. Personally I have a GT but do not worry about driving it. I do think the software reduce occurrences of the failure and mitigate the effect when it does begin to fail. Only one week till July.

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
I believe the updates at the dealer and OTA may be a different upload process than at the factory. It could also be legal jumbo jumbo that is causing the delay in pushing the software out to already built cars. As for the part there was much discussion about it. A forum contributor who seems fairly knowledgeable shared quite a bit of good information regarding the HVBJB issue. That is where I first saw information about a changed part number. That being said I have not seen anything that discusses what was changed within the part. My general sense was and is that those more in the know were greatly disappointed that the fix is software and not upgraded hardware. Personally I have a GT but do not worry about driving it. I do think the software reduce occurrences of the failure and mitigate the effect when it does begin to fail. Only one week till July.
I imagine you are right and it is a different process, yet it isn't as if the dealerships don't do software updates all the time, and Ford has had more than a month to firm up the process for this one. As of now the dealerships (mine, at least) don't have a clue about when any of this will happen. Third quarter is all they know. So, it's a mystery. BTW my car has now been delivered and is being held in the dealership hoosegow. I haven't been offered an opportunity to even look at it so I guess the warden doesn't permit visitations.

Anyhow, I don't like to spread rumors so take this one with a grain of salt but I ran into someone in a similar situation whose dealership told them August. Accurate or not? I dunno, but I do get the idea that the turning of the month to July might not mean a whole lot. Also, having recently been through the trenches with GM in a similar deal, that they share good news when they have it, and hide the bad for as long as possible. Ford seems to be in the latter mode.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Probably the post 5-24 builds are just starting to arrive at dealerships. If anyone is able to take delivery of one they might let us know.
@Sealevel just took delivery of his car built after 5/24

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
So unfair to all of us who are still waiting but good news for him, wish him best of luck !

rapture89

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Corvette
Occupation
Information Technologist
Country flag
As per FAQ, if I avoid DC (CCS) fast charging and don't have "repeated wide open pedal events".. I should be good, right? :)

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/06/15/mustang-mach-e-recall-faq.html
Boring, just messing aroundā€¦ thatā€™s how I read that too! This is my first Ford since I was stationed in the UK many moon cycles ago and it was a resurrected junkyard special. I sold my 455 HP Camaro for a 480 HP GT and 3.5 sec 0-60! and found out after that the GT is limited in power, the 5 sec limit Iā€™ve read/heard about on here and on the YouTube videos. Needless to say Iā€™m not thrilled with the limitations but Iā€™m hopeful they can fix the issue down the road and collect the needed information with the recall software. It is disappointing that a car with both the Mustang and GT label is limited.

MadLaserist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD ER Space White
Country flag
Has anybody with carscanner seen a 655 amp spike in current on disconnect at the end of DCFC charging? Charged 4 times on a 735 mile trip on Thursday with 2 charges having the high spike. This happen on EA chargers, on the 2nd and 3rd charges, not the 1st and 4th, at 85-87% charge levels, disconnecting only after the button on the car is pushed to stop the charge and the lights have stopped flashing.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Has anybody with carscanner seen a 655 amp spike in current on disconnect at the end of DCFC charging? Charged 4 times on a 735 mile trip on Thursday with 2 charges having the high spike. This happen on EA chargers, on the 2nd and 3rd charges, not the 1st and 4th, at 85-87% charge levels, disconnecting only after the button on the car is pushed to stop the charge and the lights have stopped flashing.
Is it 655 or 65536? (CarScanner might truncate the number depending on how your display is configured)

65536 is 2^16, aka a 16-bit integer. CarScanner uses 16-bit integers to display amps, and it might default to the largest value if it sees something that's out of range (either too small or too large). Either way, if it's consistently hitting 2^16, I'm willing to bet it's not actually that many amps.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I don't think the software patch is going to show us (the customer) anything at all.
It may not actually come out and tell us, but if we assume the car's power levels are cut when the contactor begins to fail we would notice the change in performance in our cars. And there should be a message displayed about setting up a repair. Or they could be a bit more obscure than they already have been with this and when the power cut kicks in then the software sends back a notification to the Ford servers that will send out a paper / email / text notice to the owner to set up the service. Actually, that method could work to Ford's advantage as they could then have the time to get the part(s) to the dealership and be prepared for the call from the owner. They would look very proactive! As a programmer, that is how I would write the patch.

Either way, people will be posting here when they have to get the HVBJB replaced. So we will have some idea how many are failing immediately and then for months after the new software is installed.

Hopefully Ford learned something from the 1.7.1 OTA lockup debacle that took Ford 5 or 6 months to correct and they get this one done is a more reasonable time frame...

But my next project is to call and get a service appointment set up to look at my failing charge port that tells my EVSE to shut down after about 25-35 minutes of charging and the charging connector gets very warm. :(

Jim

Last edited:

PharmilyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Select
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
My Select AWD arrived at the dealer this week and they are wanting me to pick it up today. It has a build date of 4/02/22 so I assumed it would be held for the safety recall. I pointed this out to the salesman who then spoke with their service department about it and he claims they stated my vehicle is not affected. I re-read the notice from Ford to dealers and it does read that ā€œcertainā€ 2021-2022 models are affected which implies it is not all MME built in the timeframe specified. It also reads that affected vehicles are identified in OASIS which I assumes is a system that dealers have access?

I'm chomping at the bit to get the car but I also want to avoid a situation where Iā€™m asked to rerun the vehicle in a few days because they made a mistake. Any thoughts?

Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue 4x Extended
Country flag
Your vehicle IS part of this recall.

If I were you, I'd enjoy the road trip. Your rear wheel drive, standard range Mach-E (much like mine!) seems to have a much lower likelihood of suffering from this component failure than any of the other Mach-E trim combinations.
Agreed, you should enjoy the car and you will likely be fine for a shorter trip. I have an AWD extended with just under 8k miles and I'm nervous about doing a 2500 mile round trip, but my risk is probably lower than folks with GT/GTPE with 20k miles. My risk isn't zero, of course, so I might end up stranded. Still mulling it over on my end.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Agreed, you should enjoy the car and you will likely be fine for a shorter trip. I have an AWD extended with just under 8k miles and I'm nervous about doing a 2500 mile round trip, but my risk is probably lower than folks with GT/GTPE with 20k miles. My risk isn't zero, of course, so I might end up stranded. Still mulling it over on my end.
Ford will pay for a rental, it would still be a pain in the ass, but you wouldnā€™t be totally stranded. But the likelihood is still very low.

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
My Select AWD arrived at the dealer this week and they are wanting me to pick it up today. It has a build date of 4/02/22 so I assumed it would be held for the safety recall. I pointed this out to the salesman who then spoke with their service department about it and he claims they stated my vehicle is not affected. I re-read the notice from Ford to dealers and it does read that ā€œcertainā€ 2021-2022 models are affected which implies it is not all MME built in the timeframe specified. It also reads that affected vehicles are identified in OASIS which I assumes is a system that dealers have access?

I'm chomping at the bit to get the car but I also want to avoid a situation where Iā€™m asked to rerun the vehicle in a few days because they made a mistake. Any thoughts?
As far as I can tell, "certain" means all cars manufactured before 5-25 and sold in the U.S. I was told by my dealership initially that my VIN was not included, and later that (as I suspected) it was. I hesitate to give you advice, but if it were me, I'd take that delivery in a heartbeat. Once you've taken title to the car, no way can they force you to return it. If the dealership got it wrong, let them sort it out. The alternative is waiting to take delivery, possibly for months.
Sponsored