John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Pretty interesting . . . Elon himself does NOT recommend buying early production Teslas.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Pretty interesting . . . Elon himself does NOT recommend buying early production Teslas.
If you watch Ben Sullins video about his Tesla Model X P90D, he doesn't recommend it either. He bought that one second hand and the out of warranty repair costs basically ate him alive.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
It's good to see Musk talk to Munro. If he listens, it can only help Tesla quality.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Wait... If he doesn't recommend their early production cars, should he not sell them to customers then? Or should he give at least some reasonable discount? I do not understand...

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Wait... If he doesn't recommend their early production cars, should he not sell them to customers then? Or should he give at least some reasonable discount? I do not understand...
Elon has said many different times the early model s and x are not as great as the model y and x now.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Elon has said many different times the early model s and x are not as great as the model y and x now.
I might have to rewatch it, but the impression I got was he was saying that the early production of any of their cars was not good or perfect.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I might have to rewatch it, but the impression I got was he was saying that the early production of any of their cars was not good or perfect.
yes, correct you are. I'm just going off of his discussions from before. Elon also didn't think Telsa would make it this far but it has which is great for BEV

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
BTW - I have not seen him speak much other than short clips. He is really not a very good speaker. He may be brilliant, but a great speaker he isn't.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Yeah. Heavily paraphrasing here, he said basically if you want a quality built car by one of the first ones off the line, or once production is near max. Do not buy during ramp up.

I actually found this HIL. ARI. US. He's basically implying that, during production ramp, they ship cars as-is and don't run them back through the line to correct any quality issues. I mean, we all know this because of the reports of customers basically having to do self-PDI at delivery. But, it's a whole different ball-game when the CEO essentially encourages buyers not to buy during production ramp. Seriously ... watch that part of the video again! It's b.a.n.a.n.a.s.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
BTW - I have not seen him speak much other than short clips. He is really not a very good speaker. He may be brilliant, but a great speaker he isn't.
He's OK as a public speaker but clearly not so great in a one-on-one.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Clearly consistent car quality is not a goal Elon will concern himself to achieve. He seems to agree the quality is important in the long run but the fact that some cars are crappy doesn't seem to bother him much. It's a shrug.
Sponsored