Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
That's an interesting take. I wonder if the new 'modifications' to EV's would be battery swaps that allow for more power and things like that. It could definitely help the longevity of the 2021/2022 Mach E if you could do a direct solid state battery swap in 5 years.

Ideas like this always sound very promising.

But in reality, if the car is 10 years old, there are usually many other things that are starting to wear out. Would you really want to put in a new battery pack at a cost of possibly $10,000 into a 10 year old car? Most people would not....

JMHO

Jim

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Ideas like this always sound very promising.

But in reality, if the car is 10 years old, there are usually many other things that are starting to wear out. Would you really want to put in a new battery pack at a cost of possibly $10,000 into a 10 year old car? Most people would not....

JMHO

Jim
True, but it could be a possibility let's say 8-10 years from now to find a used MME cheap and even do a battery and motor swap and make it into a dedicated drag car or something like that.

I mean people were swapping motors into Fox bodies loooonnngg after they were gone. But I also think it's signs of the time that those things don't happen as much anymore just because technology moves so fast. As more and more EV's take over the market, and more and more manufacturers promising to be all EV by 2030, we may actually see stuff like that though.

Find an MME in a junk yard that was in an accident and buy it cheap to make a drag car. Could be kind of cool.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Several issues, but to start with, his chart should have excluded pack weight since the pack is also part of the vehicle structure, and the percentage of body structure represented by each pack design differs. It would have been more useful to see curb weight with cell capacity and true range, but there's no way Munro and Associates will be able to pull that together (true range is too fuzzy).
Yeah, they acknowledge in the video that pack weight is significantly impacted by structural properties, so why then did they even include it in the chart? The range numbers are likewise flawed, as should have been obvious by comparing the M3 to the heavier MY. Makes me wonder what they were even trying to show with that chart?

The videos are interesting from a layman’s perspective to see the guts of the car, but from an engineering perspective all these guys really care about is the nuts and bolts and snaps and welds used to hold everything together. So that’s at least 75% of every video.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
True, but it could be a possibility let's say 8-10 years from now to find a used MME cheap and even do a battery and motor swap and make it into a dedicated drag car or something like that.

I mean people were swapping motors into Fox bodies loooonnngg after they were gone. But I also think it's signs of the time that those things don't happen as much anymore just because technology moves so fast. As more and more EV's take over the market, and more and more manufacturers promising to be all EV by 2030, we may actually see stuff like that though.

Find an MME in a junk yard that was in an accident and buy it cheap to make a drag car. Could be kind of cool.
yeah, someone's done that already. ;)

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a33660589/rich-benoit-tesla-rich-rebuilds/

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
That's an interesting take. I wonder if the new 'modifications' to EV's would be battery swaps that allow for more power and things like that. It could definitely help the longevity of the 2021/2022 Mach E if you could do a direct solid state battery swap in 5 years.
I swapping out old batter tech with newer being the "upgrade" path of the future. There was a recent article on this. Smaller/lighter solid state should provide the same range but with less weight would be quicker. If one put the same capacity in at the same weight, they could get further range. Very happy with the car as is but knowing it could get better in the future is exciting. Yes, it may be 3-5 years but I tend to keep my vehicles for 10-12 years anyway.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I swapping out old batter tech with newer being the "upgrade" path of the future. There was a recent article on this. Smaller/lighter solid state should provide the same range but with less weight would be quicker. If one put the same capacity in at the same weight, they could get further range. Very happy with the car as is but knowing it could get better in the future is exciting. Yes, it may be 3-5 years but I tend to keep my vehicles for 10-12 years anyway.
Which is also interesting because the thing people are most worried about with buying a Mach E right now is what will happen with battery tech before their financing is paid off? Well, if the biggest change in 5 years is solid state batteries then it may be worth upgrading the battery instead of trading in the current car for a new model. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
I don't think either of your concerns are real issues. Hard brake lines don't need to be replaced, or really even inspected, unless they are damaged. They will typically last the life of the car. Roll-bar bushings may need to be replaced, but as you say, thats 10 years or more into the live of the car. Wouldn't worry me in the least.
Hard brake lines don't last. Maybe in the US where you don't have annual vehicle inspections it's not an issue, but it is not uncommon for vehicles to start failing MOTs on mild steel brake lines failing at ten years over here. I think it's flippant to call these things not real issues, it will be an utter pain for the second or third owner of the car when parts need replacing, parts which on other cars are easily accessible.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Hard brake lines don't last. Maybe in the US where you don't have annual vehicle inspections it's not an issue, but it is not uncommon for vehicles to start failing MOTs on mild steel brake lines failing at ten years over here. I think it's flippant to call these things not real issues, it will be an utter pain for the second or third owner of the car when parts need replacing, parts which on other cars are easily accessible.
We have a very U.S.centric view of the world. But you already knew that. :)

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't watch for Sandy's editorials.

Several issues, but to start with, his chart should have excluded pack weight since the pack is also part of the vehicle structure, and the percentage of body structure represented by each pack design differs. It would have been more useful to see curb weight with cell capacity and true range, but there's no way Munro and Associates will be able to pull that together (true range is too fuzzy).

I am happy to see all the effort Ford put into protecting the pack during crash events.

I hope Ford finds a way to donate a Mach-E to Weber Auto so that Professor Kelly can explain everything to us and show the shop tools, etc. :) I'm especially interested to learn how the various cooling systems work.
I took the bootcamp at Weber University last Nov 21 and Professor Kelly said that the college purchased a Ford Mach-E GT and should be arriving at the college in Dec 21. I hope they got it. He said they would be tearing that vehicle all a part and see want makes it tick. Great class and Professor Kelly is an outstanding teacher. Wish his class was longer.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I took the bootcamp at Weber University last Nov 21 and Professor Kelly said that the college purchased a Ford Mach-E GT and should be arriving at the college in Dec 21. I hope they got it. He said they would be tearing that vehicle all a part and see want makes it tick. Great class and Professor Kelly is an outstanding teacher. Wish his class was longer.
Professor Kelly rocks.