Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
When I picked up my FE a couple months ago I noticed the B pillars had some serious swirls and scratches. Looked like someone did the prep work with sandpaper. I put up a stink and the dealer told me to take it to their preferred body shop. When I got there the body shop guy met me in the parking lot with some wax and microfiber towels. He proceeded to put some wax on the pillars and said I should be good to go. I was not about to entertain this guy and left. I decided to fix it myself and purchased a polisher and some compounds and went to town. I was terrified at making a mess of the soft black pillars, but it turned out amazing.

This is how it looks now under seriously harsh lighting. It's like a mirror.

Last edited:

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I had the same issue with my 2018 Expedition. I complained to my dealer, and all they said was they could replace them but it will happen again. ? My Mach E was in better shape when I purchased it, but still showed slight scratches. Good to know they can get polished up nicely!

Im sure they are nice and shiny at the factory, but get scratched up when the dealership has their minimum wage kids wash the new cars. I’m anal about what touches my cars when I wash and dry them to avoid these kind of scratches. I’m sure the kids don’t really care much at all and use towels that have been on the ground, etc. ?

Eosin

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Nice job. I can't view the video for some reason, but I'm glad your polishing worked out.

Which polisher did you buy?

I just ordered the Griots ceramic kit which comes with their G8 (2 and 3 inch pads) and G9 (6.5 inch pads). When my Mach E arrives over the next couple weeks I'm having Xpel applied to the front. Then I'm going to prep the rest of the car for ceramic and apply AvalonKing Armor Shield ceramic coating to the entire car.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I had XPEL PPF applied to the front of my car, and the shop recommended doing the pillars as well because the piano black gets messed up easily. I'm glad I did it - should help keep them looking pristine.

OP
OP
MurphyDog

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Nice job. I can't view the video for some reason, but I'm glad your polishing worked out.

Which polisher did you buy?

I just ordered the Griots ceramic kit which comes with their G8 (2 and 3 inch pads) and G9 (6.5 inch pads). When my Mach E arrives over the next couple weeks I'm having Xpel applied to the front. Then I'm going to prep the rest of the car for ceramic and apply AvalonKing Armor Shield ceramic coating to the entire car.
I got the Torq 10FX polisher with their 3" backing plate. For the pads I used Griots orange and black foam.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I had XPEL PPF applied to the front of my car, and the shop recommended doing the pillars as well because the piano black gets messed up easily. I'm glad I did it - should help keep them looking pristine.
I did the same, they are a mirror finish now with no more worries from what ever material they went with. All MME’s have this issue, no different with the other black parts of the car. Polish will get it back to new but unless protected they will continue to return when cleaning.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Scratches and swirls in B pillars 7D5D5171-44D3-4217-BB4C-85800C4E0ACC

Ford Mustang Mach-E Scratches and swirls in B pillars F28CD216-90C0-4274-AB19-43C752E04670

B15AAC6E-68CA-42D0-8C01-A2766942D38B.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I did the same, they are a mirror finish now with no more worries from what ever material they went with. All MME’s have this issue, no different with the other black parts of the car. Polish will get it back to new but unless protected they will continue to return when cleaning.

View attachment 27767

Ford Mustang Mach-E Scratches and swirls in B pillars B15AAC6E-68CA-42D0-8C01-A2766942D38B
Holy Crap that’s perfection! I need to learn to use a buffer/polisher. I’ve always been afraid to make it worse, because I know it can get uglier quick if you don’t know what you’re doing. Any pointers or suggestions for a novice? ?

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
I've used Adam's Polishes for years. The piano black parts are a challenge, but they can look nice. Pics are my 2019 Fusion Hybrid, that sits outside year round, in NW Ohio. The other is my wife's 2015 Cmax energi. Still holding up!

IMG_20210612_170434569~2.jpg

IMG_20210612_170452180~2.jpg

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Thank you. Those pillars have been driving me crazy but always too chicken to try to fix. Lightly polished and they look better than when I bought it. Used Adam’s Polisher with 38 polish. Applied some ceramic coat to it so hopefully it will last…damn it. Cleaned up and then realized the rear ones are worse. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I installed PPF on them when car was new

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
I noticed at the Rivian R2 release today, their piano black pillars were already swirled.