Security cam

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Was wondering if something like this could be installed to enable security on the cheap when the car is parked outside home. Get a WiFi camera (like the ones used for home security, starting at $30 or less), attach it facing a window (front, rear, side, or all), power it up via USB - using a constant power source, of course - and have it stream live or only motion-triggered footage wirelessly to an old phone hidden away inside the car. Kinda like Tesla cam saving footage to a USB drive locked inside the glovebox. If your old phone is connected to a data plan, you can access the footage from anywhere. Not the greatest cameras for dashcam use, but would this be a feasible option for in-car security? Anyone tried this before?

You could also directly use your old phone as a cloud-connected security cam, with different limitations.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You make the invalid assumption that the USB port will remain powered up during this time.

chuchutrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Select RWD
Country flag
Does the 12V outlet under the armrest turn off by itself? That was my assumption but my dashcam stays on for a little while after I turn off the car. But it also seem to shut off after a period of time.

Can anyone confirm that it actually shuts off after a certain period of time? I'd like to stop unplugging my dashcam when I get out of the car but I'm scared of draining the 12V battery.