Select standard range RWD vs Premium extended range RWD

Tamadrummer88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
Country flag
Been going back and forth for the last few days between a Select with the standard range battery and the premium with the extended range battery and RWD. Anyone own a Select? I personally think the select with the comfort and tech package is well equipped and I could
live with the standard range battery ( I live in Austin, we just have summer for 3/4 of the year and then winter for the last half) so I’m not worried about winter range loss. And it seems that Ford has been conservatively rating the range so either battery would get more than irs targeted range ( based on driving habits of course) Or would the Premium with the extended range battery be worth the extra $5k?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Been going back and forth for the last few days between a Select with the standard range battery and the premium with the extended range battery and RWD. Anyone own a Select? I personally think the select with the comfort and tech package is well equipped and I could
live with the standard range battery ( I live in Austin, we just have summer for 3/4 of the year and then winter for the last half) so I’m not worried about winter range loss. And it seems that Ford has been conservatively rating the range so either battery would get more than irs targeted range ( based on driving habits of course) Or would the Premium with the extended range battery be worth the extra $5k?
I'm happy with my standard range ride.

Your gonna get opinions all across the board on this.

It really comes down to your specific wants and needs. Most people don't need an extended range battery, but most also want it anyway.

It was hard for me to fight that temptation in my own case.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Your gonna get opinions all across the board on this
THIS. You're going to have to figure out what's important to you.

The extra range is handy when traveling, especially in areas where DCFC coverage is sparse. I chose to split the difference between premium ER and went for a RT1 instead of the Select with tech/comfort package I had originally ordered. Play with abetterrouteplanner, and see if you can make the trips you want to take on the standard battery.

monolith10101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier
Country flag
THIS. You're going to have to figure out what's important to you.

The extra range is handy when traveling, especially in areas where DCFC coverage is sparse. I chose to split the difference between premium ER and went for a RT1 instead of the Select with tech/comfort package I had originally ordered. Play with abetterrouteplanner, and see if you can make the trips you want to take on the standard battery.
We did this, too, because we wanted the extended range battery. We are getting 3.9-4.1 mi/kWh to date here in Southern California, so needless to say, we have much more range than we actually need day to day. However, we have enjoyed having the extra range for day trips so far—it’s a luxury not having to worry at all about range for trips below 275 miles (at least), but it is nice.

You need to figure out if you 1. actually need the extended range, or 2. you don’t need it most of the time but would find it useful occasionally, and that’s worth the cost for you.

Timbop’s recommendation to use ABRP to route some trips you’d like to take is a good idea and definitely something you should do. If ER makes a material difference for them, maybe consider it. If not, then it is probably not worth the cost for you.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Are those the only two choices? You could compromise and go with a SR Premium. By the time you add the comfort/tech package to the Select, it’s almost the same price as a Premium. I’ve found that the SR battery is already far more than I need.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I have given up on fretting over the options on cars when purchased which is a luxury since the math works out like this. If you get the ER at an additional cost of 10% over the value of the other model then when you go to sell it or trade it you will likely recoup a similar amount. In the case of the ER I think you would actually recoup more since in the resale market ER's will be considerably more attractive due to battery degradation, range for the new owner etc.

For me, I ordered a Premium ER AWD since I believed that I would recover much of the premium for the ER and AWD when I got rid of it.

It also helps my business since I sell Lithium :)

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Have a SR, RWD Select w/com,appear pkg ( got the pkg for the heated seats which I feel are needed in northern NJ in the winter, should have been standard on this car like they were in my 2013 c max )......no regrets......for a variety of reasons, going on trips is not in my future, so it's mostly local driving (under 100 round trip)....as others have said, take a good look at what your needs are as far as battery size (obviously)

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I went with Premium RWD and standard range

Range isn't an issue for me and I felt the asking price in Canada for the extended battery was above what I was wishing to pay

Wife wanted the white interior and the Pano roof so we went Premium

So far... Ok one day of ownership, I don't regret

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Are those the only two choices? You could compromise and go with a SR Premium. By the time you add the comfort/tech package to the Select, it’s almost the same price as a Premium. I’ve found that the SR battery is already far more than I need.
So that's an interesting choice. SR Select with tech vs SR PRemium. Yes the SR Select with comfort/tech package is abit cheaper (about 4k in Canada).

You loose some stuff: panoramic glass, 19" wheels, acoustic laminate glass, perforated seats, ambient lighting in the back seat. However the functionality is teh same with the tech package since you get all the safety stuff, heated stuff and power liftgate. You also get Blue cruise prep.

In the end I didn't care for the pano roof or bigger wheels so I got the SR. It's still way more car then I have ever owned before, and I used to own a Volvo s60 inline 6 turbo (another of Ford's bastard children).

OP
OP

Tamadrummer88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
Country flag
So that's an interesting choice. SR Select with tech vs SR PRemium. Yes the SR Select with comfort/tech package is abit cheaper (about 4k in Canada).

You loose some stuff: panoramic glass, 19" wheels, acoustic laminate glass, perforated seats, ambient lighting in the back seat. However the functionality is teh same with the tech package since you get all the safety stuff, heated stuff and power liftgate. You also get Blue cruise prep.

In the end I didn't care for the pano roof or bigger wheels so I got the SR. It's still way more car then I have ever owned before, and I used to own a Volvo s60 inline 6 turbo (another of Ford's bastard children).
looking at the Select with comfort and Tech package, it is pretty well equipped for the money after you factor in rebates (not including the tax credit) I’d say, even with how conservative Ford is with their range estimates, I would say it’s a better deal than the ‘off menu’ Tesla Model Y.

However, the Premium with SR battery is also quite compelling.

As far as ‘needing’ the long range battery, we don’t do many road trips (most of ours are interstate, and we go to Dallas and Houston frequently), but there’s that one time per year that we go on the long road trip that takes us more than 8 hours ( Santa Fe NM, Denver CO, etc) so I’d like the extended range. But I suppose for my needs the SR battery could be enough.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I think the decision is actually easier than you think, says the person who also struggles to make the decision.

Trim variances basically come down to a very small handful of real differences,
  • Range
  • 0-60
  • AWD vs RWD
  • Price Vs What You Can Afford
Edited: The other thing about the first 3 on this list, they can be worked around. More stops to charge which is only a problem on long road trips, you probably don't really need AWD (especially in a 2.3 ton vehicle) and a 6.5 second 0 to 60 is still plenty fast.

There are other minor differences (not all inclusive) but in my case these are things I'd like to have.
  1. Panoramic Roof (prefer not to have)
  2. Heated Seats and Steering Wheel
  3. Power Lift Gate
  4. Stereo quality
  5. Laminate side glass
  6. Park Assist
  7. Wheel appearance
  8. Colors (GT and FE)
Your minor differences may vary but none of those are absolute deal breakers, they're all nice-to-haves in my case, except the lift gate, which I literally don't care about.

What makes it hard is the way the options are positioned, and Ford does kind of a poor job of explaining the differentiation although it's better now than a few months ago.

I'm still not quite 100% on the EV world and when I started looking at replacing my sedan, ground clearance was a significant reason why. The MME has .2" more ground clearance than my current ride. I also really like having a Head Up Display, conspicuously absent here.

Still, I suspect I'd have bought one if they were more readily available but the ordering process slows it all down. So, I'm patient.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tamadrummer88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
Country flag
I think the decision is actually easier than you think, says the person who also struggles to make the decision.

Trim variances basically come down to a very small handful of real differences,
  • Range
  • 0-60
  • AWD vs RWD
  • Price Vs What You Can Afford
Edited: The other thing about the first 3 on this list, they can be worked around. More stops to charge which is only a problem on long road trips, you probably don't really need AWD (especially in a 2.3 ton vehicle) and a 6.5 second 0 to 60 is still plenty fast.

There are other minor differences (not all inclusive) but in my case these are things I'd like to have.
  1. Panoramic Roof (prefer not to have)
  2. Heated Seats and Steering Wheel
  3. Power Lift Gate
  4. Stereo quality
  5. Laminate side glass
  6. Park Assist
  7. Wheel appearance
  8. Colors (GT and FE)
Your minor differences may vary but none of those are absolute deal breakers, they're all nice-to-haves in my case, except the lift gate, which I literally don't care about.

What makes it hard is the way the options are positioned, and Ford does kind of a poor job of explaining the differentiation although it's better now than a few months ago.

I'm still not quite 100% on the EV world and when I started looking at replacing my sedan, ground clearance was a significant reason why. The MME has .2" more ground clearance than my current ride. I also really like having a Head Up Display, conspicuously absent here.

Still, I suspect I'd have bought one if they were more readily available but the ordering process slows it all down. So, I'm patient.
i feel the same way. I have never felt or heard the difference between laminate glass and a car without. The only interior quiet I know of is Lexus LS quiet. Those things are BANK VAULT QUIET.

Im not an audiophile, but i really like the JBL systems in Toyota’s, so that tells you my taste in car audio lol. Pano roofs and sunroofs I couldn’t care less about. The car comes with it, fine. If not, no big deal.

Power lift gate is a nice to have, but heated seats and steering wheel is an absolute MUST. I live in Texas where it’s warm 99% of the time, but heated seats for me help me deal with my anxiety issues, I even use them in the middle of summer in the morning when it’s 80 degrees and 90% humidity.

Either way, I may just order a Premium SR and call it done. Also, I’m patient when ordering a car, it just saves me more time to save for a down payment and pay down more of my current vehicle. My mentality is “when it comes, it comes”. No need to pester the dealer every three days asking where it is.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
orth for the last few days between a Select with the standard range battery and the premium with the extended range battery and RWD. Anyone own a Select? I personally think the select with the comfort and tech package is well equipped and I could
Well like you I live in Austin. To be more exact I live on the north side of the metro and I got the Premium Ext range AWD.
Reason for the extend range is like you I do go to Houston and DFW a few times a year and the extended range can get me safely to the south side of Houston with a very heathy amount of range to spare compared to the standard range where I will be coming in kind of tight on range. Same with DFW is I can get to where I need to go from my home in the Austin area with healthy amount of range left to spare so if I am tight on time I do not need to stop for a quick charge top off and then have enough range to get to a DC fast charger afterwards.

Now I will say while I have lived in Texas my entire life heated seats are a must have for me because those handful of days a year you want them YOU REALLY want them and the others they are just really nice to have. Heat steering wheel is also a really nice for those very few cold days but I find myself at least on my wife car over they years I do not use it nearly as often as heat seats but it was something I REALLY wanted when I was getting my Mach E.

I know I have zero regrets getting the extend range AWD. Extend range was a must and it was not much more to get AWD so zero regrets for me and still loving the car 1500 miles later.

Also if the glass roof is a worry it has not caused the car to be any hotter nor has the sun gotten in my eyes from it.
Lastly avoid Covert Ford and go to any of the others.
Sponsored