mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
Any news on timeframe for self-driving capabilities to be activated? i can imagine that the pandemic might potentially make it actually easier to complete the mapping and software development needed.
Sponsored

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-PACE SE, x-Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV and x-Tesla S owner
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My guess is that these 2021 cars will not have the "right" equipment for Self Driving when Ford and its partners finally come with it. If Tesla is any example, then they will need to change/add more gear from cameras, computers, Sonar, Radar, Lidar?, etc. Tesla left most of its past cars "behind" in this area. They are on the 3rd rewrite of the their Self Driving software....a different language each time.

I would be happy with just some camera centric features like "Sentry" mode that Tesla has giving me the ability to record the activity around my car whether I am there or not.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I don't think these will ever really be 'self driving'. The Mach-E will have the hardware for hands free highway driving (w/ adaptive cruise control and lane keeping), but the driver must still pay attention (no napping). I'd be really surprised and delighted if the hands free driving included automatic lane changes too (like Tesla and GM's new Super Cruise).

I could see the hands free highway driving features being activated with the first year after delivery.

OP
OP

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
I don't think these will ever really be 'self driving'. The Mach-E will have the hardware for hands free highway driving (w/ adaptive cruise control and lane keeping), but the driver must still pay attention (no napping). I'd be really surprised and delighted if the hands free driving included automatic lane changes too (like Tesla and GM's new Super Cruise).

I could see the hands free highway driving features being activated with the first year after delivery.
Thanks. This is what I meant - Level 2 Autonomy, like GM Super Cruise (which is actually better than Tesla, IMO, as it does not require hands on the steering wheel). I understand MME will have the hardware for it but plan was to wait on OTA to activate it). FWIW, I believe Level 3 and Level 4 autonomy will be around well before 2050, but that's off-topic :).

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I would imagine what ever it will get won't be activated until late 2021. Personally have little interest in any of the so called 'advanced' self drive systems currently on offer. Until I can have in drive me home from a pub / bar with me sleeping in the back seat it is of little use lol, I doubt we will have that in my life time. :(.

Having looked at videos of GM's super cruse it to me is utterly pointless, as soon as you look away it switches off and there are multiple places where the system switches off and prompts you to take control and not exactly in complex areas either.

Once you are out of the city and on major highways in USA it is endless straight roads with minimal steering input needed not the most taxing of driving and something that cruise control and adaptive cruise control with lane keep already takes care of.

However as the USA road deaths per 100000 are much higher than should really be acceptable in a first world country :( if these newer autonomy systems helps reduce the deaths and problems caused by all the tailgating, inattentive idiots that plague the highways then all the better..

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I would imagine what ever it will get won't be activated until late 2021. Personally have little interest in any of the so called 'advanced' self drive systems currently on offer. Until I can have in drive me home from a pub / bar with me sleeping in the back seat it is of little use lol, I doubt we will have that in my life time. :(.

Having looked at videos of GM's super cruse it to me is utterly pointless, as soon as you look away it switches off and there are multiple places where the system switches off and prompts you to take control and not exactly in complex areas either.

Once you are out of the city and on major highways in USA it is endless straight roads with minimal steering input needed not the most taxing of driving and something that cruise control and adaptive cruise control with lane keep already takes care of.

However as the USA road deaths per 100000 are much higher than should really be acceptable in a first world country :( if these newer autonomy systems helps reduce the deaths and problems caused by all the tailgating, inattentive idiots that plague the highways then all the better..
Probably one of those things you have to try. I haven't yet. My friend has a Tesla Model 3 with a 100 mile commute. He says it would be murder w/o the Autopilot.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Until I can have in drive me home from a pub / bar with me sleeping in the back seat it is of little use lol, I doubt we will have that in my life time.
That's what Uber is for. :cool:

While I was sort of joking with that, it's also got a lot of truth to it. I've said before that I don't think it makes much sense to put anything more than driver-assist features in private vehicles. The real value of full autonomy should be in commercial vehicles, like delivery trucks and automated taxi service. Once people can just summon a vehicle for door-to-door service (like Uber can now) --but without being burdened by the cost of a driver, and using cheaper "pods" that don't need the cost of leather seats and Bose sound systems and all those other thing we load our private cars us with -- then there isn't as much need for private car ownership anymore.

Which then has dramatic effects on things like parking.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Probably one of those things you have to try. I haven't yet. My friend has a Tesla Model 3 with a 100 mile commute. He says it would be murder w/o the Autopilot.
I have it on my Model S and never use it except to show someone that's never been in it how it works. If you enjoy driving, you don't use these things...at least I don't.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

My 2016 RAV4 Hybrid has--adaptive cruise control and lane keeping with a warning if the driver does not keep the hands on the wheel after so many seconds-rear cross warning-BlIS warning and beeps. It does not have self parking as my 2017 CMax has. Neither vehicle has auto lane chaning that the MME should have. Ford Self driving cars are being tested in various markets vai Argo Al as found not far from my location in Pittsburgh and Detroit. Ford is expected "limited" self driving (defined areas?) in one form or other for 2022. via the CEO.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
I have it on my Model S and never use it except to show someone that's never been it how it works. If you enjoy driving, you don't use these things...at least I don't.
Concur.

Even in Model 3, these features seem fairly crude. I didn't care for the wandering when road markings aren't exactly perfect.

The only reason I can see for self-driving is "Get me to the nearest hospital".

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Concur.

Even in Model 3, these features seem fairly crude. I didn't care for the wandering when road markings aren't exactly perfect.

The only reason I can see for self-driving is "Get me to the nearest hospital".
Or: "I'm driving for hours down the highway to get somewhere and want to be able to stretch and change position for comfort". Not having to touch the wheel significantly helps that situation, as you'd be able to relax and stretch your arms - for me cruise control is a godsend for being able to shift and move my legs on a long drive. The only caveat is that it shouldn't turn off the lane keeping if I look to the side to read a billboard/sign for 10 seconds - it should just beep/announce that I should look forward.