Illinois Selling my Premium RWD SR Carbonized Gray Mach E Chicago area (northern suburbs) SOLD

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Going a different direction; no issues with the car. The Ford dealer will buy it for $44K if I let them know by tomorrow (March 18). Send me a private note ASAP if you're interested in beating that offer without additional hassle on my part. Car has 800 or so miles and is less than 30 days old. Original sticker price: 48,100. Clear title. Carbonized gray over black interior. Like new.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Also the buyer of your (very lightly) used car would not qualify for the tax credit.
Right, that's why taking the $44k offer from the dealer and coming out ahead is likely the best scenario.

Reactions: UW2

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also the buyer of your (very lightly) used car would not qualify for the tax credit.
So basically the car is worth 44K minus the $7500 tax credit since the original owner still can get it. So $36.5K would be the opening offer.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
So basically the car is worth 44K minus the $7500 tax credit since the original owner still can get it. So $36.5K would be the opening offer.
If the sticker was $48.1K, anything under $40K would be ok. More interestingly if the dealer is offering $44K, most likely he forgot about the tax credit, and thinks he will be able to sell at MSRP. If this my choice, I would run (not walk) and take the dealer up on the offer.

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Well, I doubt the OP is going to accept an of $36.5K since they already have an offer for $44K.

However -- and this is pure speculation on my part -- maybe the reason for posting here is they'll accept a little bit less than $44K from someone on this site (a sort of "friends" discount). Whomever buys it gets the car slightly used in exchange for not waiting until next year to actually recognize the tax credit when they do they're taxes. Just a thought.

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
If the sticker was $48.1K, anything under $40K would be ok. More interestingly if the dealer is offering $44K, most likely he forgot about the tax credit, and thinks he will be able to sell at MSRP. If this my choice, I would run (not walk) and take the dealer up on the offer.
I doubt the dealer forgot about the tax credit. Based on the reports that dealers are marking up new ones, this dealer figures they could still get someone to buy for something north of $46K, as compared to a new one with ADM subtracting for the tax credit.

OP
OP

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Don't forget that I paid MSRP plus tax. So, there is no profit. And the reasons for posting here are: (1) some people are not eligible for the tax credit (requires a tax liability of 7500 or more), (2) there is a sales tax savings in certain cases by buying private party versus from a dealer, (3) many dealers are still charging markups over sticker, so this would enable someone to buy the car today for a market price (as indicated by the dealer's offer to me).

Again, no skin off my back if I have to sell to the dealer tomorrow, but I wanted to give this excellent forum the opportunity to take it if someone wants it for more than the dealer will give me.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't forget that I paid MSRP plus tax. So, there is no profit. And the reasons for posting here are: (1) some people are not eligible for the tax credit (requires a tax liability of 7500 or more), (2) there is a sales tax savings in certain cases by buying private party versus from a dealer, (3) many dealers are still charging markups over sticker, so this would enable someone to buy the car today for a market price (as indicated by the dealer's offer to me).

Again, no skin off my back if I have to sell to the dealer tomorrow, but I wanted to give this excellent forum the opportunity to take it if someone wants it for more than the dealer will give me.
Even breaking even, you're doing pretty well at $44k. But I don't fault you for posting it hear, as a lot of people can't find what they're looking for, and somebody might spring for it. Does Illinois not charge sales tax based on the bill of sale when you register a car purchased from a private party?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Does Illinois not charge sales tax based on the bill of sale when you register a car purchased from a private party?
For cars over $15K, it uses this table:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Selling my Premium RWD SR Carbonized Gray Mach E Chicago area (northern suburbs) SOLD 1616007389264

This is much cheaper than buying from a dealer (6.25%).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For cars over $15K, it uses this table:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Selling my Premium RWD SR Carbonized Gray Mach E Chicago area (northern suburbs) SOLD 1616007389264

This is much cheaper than buying from a dealer (6.25%).
Wow, that's interesting. In Vermont, tax is paid on the purchase price or book value, whichever is greater.

OP
OP

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Yes IL private party sales tax would be $1500 (flat fee) compared to as much as >8% in some counties.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes IL private party sales tax would be $1500 (flat fee) compared to as much as >8% in some counties.
I wasn't aware that some counties included motor vehicles in their sales tax. I know that none of the counties in my region do.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I doubt the dealer forgot about the tax credit. Based on the reports that dealers are marking up new ones, this dealer figures they could still get someone to buy for something north of $46K, as compared to a new one with ADM subtracting for the tax credit.
Buying a used car has other additional costs, beyond losing tax credit. Higher financing rates, for example. I would never pay ADM anyway, but why would anyone pay extra for AWD SR? My dealer right now has a Premium RWD ER and RWD SR, not ADM on either.
(1) some people are not eligible for the tax credit (requires a tax liability of 7500 or more)
I've seen this claim that "some" people can afford to drop $50K on a car, and do not have any tax liability, and do not have tax deferred savings that can be converted to ROTH, but that population must be astonishingly small.
Sponsored