Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks Norm! My apologies if the info I was seeking was in your signature file all along.
The build date info could be useful as well in this matter.
It would be rare for Ford to change springs mid-model year. But tire changes aren't uncommon. Would you mind sharing what your 18 & 19 tires are?
OEM Michelins on my Select (18") and my Premium (19"). My snows are 18" Continental Viking 7's, soon to grace the Premium on my take off Select OEM wheels.
Sponsored

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
OEM Michelins on my Select (18") and my Premium (19")....
Which Michelins? Lots of different compounds and sidewall designs available there.
I assume your sizes are 225/60R18 and 225/55R19, as per Ford literature?

I've never bought tires from TireRack but I sure like reading the reviews. It's amazing how the same tire can get drastically different reviews on different cars. They really are a key component in the total (unified) dynamic design package.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Which Michelins? Lots of different compounds and sidewall designs available there.
I assume your sizes are 225/60R18 and 225/55R19, as per Ford literature?

I've never bought tires from TireRack but I sure like reading the reviews. It's amazing how the same tire can get drastically different reviews on different cars. They really are a key component in the total (unified) dynamic design package.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Selling up to a Premium ER AWD and First Impressions (Long) vs. Select Mach-E 1638478555278

KneelB4Zod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 BMW 535i; 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Country flag
Count me in the camp of "ride somewhat harsh, kinda of annoying" when I first got my Premium RWD ER MME. However, after much poking around the forums, I discovered that a simple solution that helped immediately - not a drastic change but a significant one - was lowering the tire pressure. It was up to 45PSI when I got it which is wayyyyyy too inflated. Dumped it to 37-38PSI and it made a big difference in ride quality. Now to get rid of the wind noise from the roof/windshield gap... other than that I LOVE this vehicle.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
I just don't get the current infatuation with low-profile tires. As a Miata enthusiast I can assure you low profile tires might win races but skinny tires are much more FUN...with lots of nice sounds warning you when you're getting close to the edge. And I drive for fun, not money.
And in big-engine luxury cars purporting to be smooth-riding, but riding on rubber bands? No thanks.
The MME would be for my wife who definitely wants the 18" wheels whether she knows it or not. Problem is I want the up-trim trinkets which force you into the bigger rims.
I assume you have no complaints about the ride in your std-battery, rear-drive Select?
I just don't get the current infatuation with low-profile tires. As a Miata enthusiast I can assure you low profile tires might win races but skinny tires are much more FUN...with lots of nice sounds warning you when you're getting close to the edge. And I drive for fun, not money.
And in big-engine luxury cars purporting to be smooth-riding, but riding on rubber bands? No thanks.
The MME would be for my wife who definitely wants the 18" wheels whether she knows it or not. Problem is I want the up-trim trinkets which force you into the bigger rims.
I assume you have no complaints about the ride in your std-battery, rear-drive Select?
Still waiting for my MME. But a few people noted a big difference in ride quality between 18" and 19" Here

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
....45PSI when I got it which is wayyyyyy too inflated. Dumped it to 37-38PSI and it made a big difference in ride quality...
Even at the lower numbers, that's still only about a 3" long contact patch on the ground...in other words you are nowhere near overheat or damage to the tires at all at those pressures and you are still at a footprint that's greatly favoring handling over ride. Most forum members talk about 41psi all around, which only makes sense if Ford is going for minimal drag, max range, which of course is a huge marketing issue with EV's.

Since you have the ER battery, you've got 7% more weight in the rear so you may want keep them 3psi higher than the fronts.

So what does Ford mark on the door jam for recommended pressure? They seem to be doing the exact opposite of what they did with their heavy old Lincolns (of which I've owned a few). There you'd always want to increase pressure by 10%...the sacrifice in ride quality was negligible while the handling responsiveness improved immensely.

If you're stuck with 19" rims, you'd probably would like a 215/60 tire, alas no one makes that size. There are lots of 235/55's, and they'll probably fit in the wheel wells fine, but it's not just your speedometer that will read 1.4% low...your ranges won't agree with the computerized maps.

It'd be nice if Ford's software would allow you to input a different wheel diameter.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks Norm. Primacy's on the Premium too? Michelin doesn't have a lot of options in that size.
Yes, the 19” is the same tire. They are great tires and last a long time. You cannot go wrong with Michelin except with your checkbook.

greenaero

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME gray , Mazda Cx5, Honda CBR250R
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Country flag
Great report! Thanks for sharing your experiences, we do live in interesting times.

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
...You cannot go wrong with Michelin except with your checkbook.
Ha-ha. And true. And with a few exceptions, Michelin emphasizes ride over handling. All the more reason why Ford seems to be telling us "we say run in the 40's so we can advertise long EV range but if you want a smooth ride, screw the rolling resistance and lower your pressure to the mid- to upper-30's. Especially if you bought a Premium with 19" rims. But if you can afford the upscale trim package, you must be rich so a few more kW-hr each month ain't gonna' kill ya'."

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
With all this ride comfort talk, what's the impressions with Premium (19" wheels) SR RWD vs. Select 18" RWD and Premium ER (heavier)?

Last edited:

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I'd be surprised if the stock springs are different between a Select and Premium trim level. However between standard range and (heavier) extended range battery packs, that seems quite likely. Norm, can you comment on the batteries of the S and P you compared? Same or different?

Tires are huge in handling but play a part in ride quality too. Basic compliance varies pretty much inversely with treadwear rating, at least for the same size. But 18 vs 19 vs 20 (or more precisely 225/60R18, vs 225/55R19 vs 245/45R20) will have huge compliance differences.

Anyone with particularly annoying bouncing try playing with tire pressures?
It was the first thing most of us tried. I also swapped to GT springs in the rear and it didnt help me at all, although someone with an awd extended range model had much more luck.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
Ha-ha. And true. And with a few exceptions, Michelin emphasizes ride over handling. All the more reason why Ford seems to be telling us "we say run in the 40's so we can advertise long EV range but if you want a smooth ride, screw the rolling resistance and lower your pressure to the mid- to upper-30's. Especially if you bought a Premium with 19" rims. But if you can afford the upscale trim package, you must be rich so a few more kW-hr each month ain't gonna' kill ya'."
I've tried lowering the pressure to around 36-37 and didn't really seem to help me much.

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
re: adhesive rubber filler strip that is recommended

Great post; thanks.

I picked up my Premium, 4WD, ER yesterday (silver). I only have a couple of miles on it--spent most of the day selling my old car (great used car market!). So, I'll be setting up the new car today and hopefully taking a drive or two.

I have seen several posts about adding that filler strip. Can you pass along the recommendation on what to use? I know it must be out there on the forum, but it will save a search.

I may post on my experience, along with a picture or two, if I get a chance. Right now, I'm quite pleased. My first vehicle was a '65 Mustang. I've been telling folks that I want my last vehicle to be a Mustang as well.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
re: adhesive rubber filler strip that is recommended

Great post; thanks.

I picked up my Premium, 4WD, ER yesterday (silver). I only have a couple of miles on it--spent most of the day selling my old car (great used car market!). So, I'll be setting up the new car today and hopefully taking a drive or two.

I have seen several posts about adding that filler strip. Can you pass along the recommendation on what to use? I know it must be out there on the forum, but it will save a search.

I may post on my experience, along with a picture or two, if I get a chance. Right now, I'm quite pleased. My first vehicle was a '65 Mustang. I've been telling folks that I want my last vehicle to be a Mustang as well.
I have not installed yet, but this is what was recommended From the earlier posts. Cheap enough. I need to find a warm place to install it.

AC9F04A5-9702-4E72-82BB-4A7A3B3E433A.jpeg
Sponsored