Sterling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Titan, Sequioa, Yukon, Rogue
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I went to the MME show event at a dealer out of state this weekend. Since I was also visiting SLC I decided to test drive the Y. I was super impressed with the power and handling. The interior was very bland, and almost felt unfinished. However it made me take another look.

I have put together a spreadsheet and some of the big selling points are better warranty, much better range, than the MMR and available in 2-4 weeks. It is more expensive after the MME tax credit, but I won't see that until mid 2022 now (since 2020 tax year will not be possible).

Talk to me about range. I need AWD and will get the MME premium with extended battery. I also live in a cold climate (Idaho). My commute is 100 miles per day, which is why I am going electric, but that doesn't worry me. I often do weekend trips to Utah (250-500 miles each way depending on who I am visiting) and to the national parks (200-300 miles per day).

What can I realistically expect for highway range, in the winter with the MME AWD extended range and the Tesla Y long range (not performance)?
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I went to the MME show event at a dealer out of state this weekend. Since I was also visiting SLC I decided to test drive the Y. I was super impressed with the power and handling. The interior was very bland, and almost felt unfinished. However it made me take another look.

I have put together a spreadsheet and some of the big selling points are better warranty, much better range, than the MMR and available in 2-4 weeks. It is more expensive after the MME tax credit, but I won't see that until mid 2022 now (since 2020 tax year will not be possible).

Talk to me about range. I need AWD and will get the MME premium with extended battery. I also live in a cold climate (Idaho). My commute is 100 miles per day, which is why I am going electric, but that doesn't worry me. I often do weekend trips to Utah (250-500 miles each way depending on who I am visiting) and to the national parks (200-300 miles per day).

What can I realistically expect for highway range, in the winter with the MME AWD extended range and the Tesla Y long range (not performance)?
Why should we talk you down? MME all the way

I assume you have a confirmed order in for the MME already? Isn't the TAX break on the "Y" down to $0? Full break on the MME what else do you need? But wait there's more, comes with really cool pony badges only available from Ford :).

Honestly if you need maximum range go for the Tesla Model "S" as it gets 402 Miles per charge :). Not cheap, sorry.

You will need a good charing network and extra time to get those long trips in cold weather. Even at 300 miles, that will be at a 100% charge and you need a perfect foot, who has that? So it will be even less when it's really cold out. Tesla charing network wins at that, but keep in mind the time and or side tracking that needs to happen. They are also sometimes all filled up and you have to wait.

Either way, thanks for joining the group, hope the MME works out for you in the end.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Good news is EA coverage is good on I-15, with locations in Pocatello, Perry, Salt Lake, Provo, etc. Sucks on I-80 still, but that should be filled in over the next year or two, I would think.

If you've already made that decision that BEV is workable for you vs ICE or PHEV, then I really don't think the difference between Mach-E range and Model Y range is enough to matter significantly, at least for the daily commute. As long as your daily commute is around 100 miles (total), you should be good in the MME. Word is the MME is hold up at highway speed pretty well in terms of efficiency. Although UT interstates are a real test with those 80 MPH speed limits. There's some clues that 70 MPH will only be modest loss but 80 MPH is anyone's guess. But I think in Idaho for your daily commute you max at 75 MPH. Figure maybe 10% high speed loss in good weather. If you charge to 90% nightly with a 10% floor, that's 80% of 270 = 216. Subtract 10% for high speed = 194. The real wildcard is cold. Some people say as bad as 30% loss in really cold weather. That's down to 136. Still OK for your 100 mile commutes, and on cold forecast days, you can charge to 95 or 100% those nights.

Those long weekend trips and national parks will be the problem. I'd spend some time researching CCS and Tesla option for charges on Plugshare and the other sites for places you might frequent. Tesla surely has the edge there, but CCS and L2 destination charging should significantly improve year by year.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
ask yourself how close is the nearest service center and what is their customer rating
+1 on this one - one of the main reasons I’m staying away from Tesla. I’ve heard horrible comments from friends who have waited months for the smallest repairs/parts.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

I'm assuming you have a mache on order. Which mache that is we don't know. so i can't compare the price.
cargo room, 0 to 60 times are just about dead the same.
true DC charge curve we don't know yet but we will find out more on December 15th.
Range true driving we don't know also. I just drove all of the tesla models and none got what the range was said. It could be the same with the mache, but again we don't know yet.
I can say the mache to me hands down had a better look and the seats are way better.
the 7,500 tax credit also is massive right now.
Some people know of my trips last week and this week involving tesla. The main cause for it was my nephew tesla needed three covered repairs.
One was tail like shorting out. The second was the rear window passenger side little window starting discoloring. The third repair was passenger side window sometimes did not go back up after exiting the vehicle.
In Louisville, there is no tesla shop. the closes are Cincinnati or Indianapolis. They offered to have the so-called traveling repair to fix it, but they said have to wait to tell they have enough in a route to fix it. They told him 6 to 8 weeks, or bring it up to the tesla store and they have it done in a week.
that is a big factor with ford dealers close by compared to a long drive to a tesla store.
I really can't wait for December 15th and the embargo is lifted for then info for everyone to be out.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I was super impressed with the power and handling.
I've never tried, but Mach E will not disappoint with power and handling.

better warranty
It's funny you said that. I read that shady warranty practice is one of the common Tesla complaints. (blame customer for warranty issue, treat warranty repair as good will repair and refused to follow lemon laws, etc) And, since you're in Idaho, lack of service locations may also be a concern.

much better range
Model Y wins EPA range by 20% (Model Y LR AWD: 326, Mach E ER AWD: 270). On WLTP, Mach E wins Model Y by 7%(Model Y LR AWD: 314, Mach E ER AWD: 335).

I expect the real life difference to be in between -20% and 7%. It's hard to say which is going to be better. Some people say that even though WLTP range is farther from real-world, it's more useful for comparison between cars.

My commute is 100 miles per day, which is why I am going electric, but that doesn't worry me.
100 miles per day should be fine with either vehicle.

I often do weekend trips to Utah (250-500 miles each way depending on who I am visiting) and to the national parks (200-300 miles per day).
Right now, in California, Spercharger availability around National Parks is much better than CCS DCFC. However, EA has a few that popped up in the map on their website in the past 2 or 3 months. They are still under construction. In my opinion, those locations are pretty good, and will give EA parity with SuperCharger. I don't know what it's like in Idaho and Utah.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

you can see the range outlook right there. temp was around 50 degrees that day. car is warmed up aslo. tesla model y
Ford Mustang Mach-E Seriously considering the Tesla Y now, talk me down 1607387951307

Ford Mustang Mach-E Seriously considering the Tesla Y now, talk me down 1607388054364

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Best advice. Read/watch the Mach-E reviews after the embargo is lifted on December 15th. There will still be some unknowns, but there will be a lot more expert opinions out there based on actual test drives. Waiting a week won't make much difference and you will have access to a lot more info then.

RedFive17

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
6 owned Mustangs. '22 MME, '15, '11, '05, '03, '66
Occupation
IT Geek
Country flag
I ever so briefly thought about ordering a Y a few weeks ago. The couple things that made me completely rule it out was 1) Lack of Service Centers/Dealerships which warranty repairs requires and 2) Much higher insurance compared to Mach E. I could be a bit wrong on the insurance thing as there isn't much info about Mach E's and insurance but it would make sense that they will be cheaper. Also, Ford has been building cars for a hundred years, their quality control should be better equaling superior build quality. Tesla's battery tech is obviously better but if the vehicle itself isn't built very well, that battery tech advantage means little (at least to me).

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a huge group of tesla people going to the mache. Once the demo models are out and everyone gets to see the difference. well.......... let's just say I think everyone will be happy with the mache.

tesla 2.png

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was a Day 1 Y reservation. Test drove it. Really loved it.

BUT so many fit and finish issues. Also if you get in a accident, not an easy feat to get your car fixed. Lots of customers have documented their horror stories regarding not being able to get parts after an accident, cars sitting at auto body for weeks or months.
If these things won’t drive you crazy, there are definitely advantages including Supercharger network, consistent OTA updates with quality of life improvements, and superior level two driving system.
I really love Tesla but I’m way too finicky about my car being perfect to deal with the fit and finish shortcomings.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The only Tesla Service Center in Idaho is in Boise. None in Wyoming. One in SLC.
Lithia Ford Idaho Falls is EV Certified and can take care of all of your Mach E's needs.
Sponsored