Seriously considering the Tesla Y now, talk me down

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
I am with you on most of what you said about both cars. I really like the looks of the MME over the MY. I am hoping that with the MME, Ford will at some point in the future, open up some of the top end of the reserved battery and raise the mileage range to over 300? I really like the interior of the MME, especially the display behind the wheel. I think it is more natural for the eyes to look down between the steering wheel for speed and battery information rather than to the right on the single Tesla center display, that at any time can go dark? The fact that the MME has a nicely sized frunk very similar to Tesla's, tells me how much thought went into the engineering of the vehicle. Look at the VW ID4 and Nissan Ariya, they both will not have a frunk, and neither will the Fisker Ocean!
The other question that comes to mind is how much will the MME be worth in 2-3 or 5 years VS the MY? Another thing that bothers me is the shorter warranty on the MME. You get 3yrs/36k miles bumper to bumper, 8yrs/100k miles on the battery and 5yrs/60k on the drive train VS the MY you get 4yrs/50k miles bumper to bumper, 8yrs/120k miles on battery and drive train? In the end the MME is eligible for the $7500 tax credit which is not available on any Tesla. I have not made a decision either way yet. I will wait to see what the new year brings.
There might be a bigger warranty, but from what I have read online, when something breaks down in a Tesla, it's hard to get it fixed / working again. I read numerus posts about people who called Tesla to get things fixed and Tesla just tells them they'll call them when they have the parts and apparently, often the parts are missing. This is just experience in my opinion. Ford has years of dealing with fixing their cars and they have a process of being able to live up to the warranty and fix your car. With the MME, you'll have plenty of dealers to go to to get your vehicle fixed with people who are used to doing that. Tesla makes interesting cars, but they still have work to do in terms of fixing up things that are broken, you know, the after selling the car :p

As far as how much the car is worth in 5 years, Tesla's values will start to diminish as more and more EV's start to hit the road, giving buyers much more choice in terms of what they want in a used EV. Tesla were the first to come out, so it's only natural that the resell is higher, as people don't really have options. But add options to the market, and in 5 years, people will be selling their MMEs, ID.4s, Aryas, etc...So MME's resell value will not be as high as a Tesla, but Tesla's resell value will also be dropping over time. For me though, this is not a point I consider, as I try to keep my cars as long as I can. My current plan is to keep my MME for at least 8 to 10 years. I've had 2 cars before in my life. Nissan Sentra SER - Lasted me 8 years because it started falling apart and it started costing me too much to fix it. So I went with a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, lasted me 10 years. Would have kept on going with it, but family gew (2 kids now, had 0 when I bought it), so I needed something bigger and I wanted to go electric. So I'm expecting the MME to last me very long, hoping only to change the battery in a few years, hoping ford does a good job at allowing us to do that... we'll see :)
Sponsored

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
My Wife just tried to enter out Model 3 this morning, she preheat 10 minutes.
it was -5 degrees Celsius and the window would not go down, she manage to open the door the she tried to close the door but the window wouldn’t go down again so she went inside to take the hairdryer and spent 30 minutes to heat the window to make it go down.

she did not go shopping because she didn’t want to have the same problem at the store.

now she said she would only use the dodge caravan.

I told her to preheat 30 minutes next time.

the window design and door handles is probably superior for the Mach E but I have never tried it.
This is one of the design issues that I see, a design that is far more complicated than is needed. What happens when the vehicles is out of warranty, what is the cost to repair that? I've had two cars with power window problems, but they were both about 7 to 10 years old at the time, however it didn't prevent opening the front doors.

The Mach E doesn't need the windows to open for the front door to work. Even if the door actuator doesn't work, the handle is available to pull open the front doors, and can be done with a single finger, not requiring the hand be free.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
My Wife just tried to enter our Model 3 this morning, she preheat 10 minutes.
it was -5 degrees Celsius and the window would not go down, she manage to open the door the she tried to close the door but the window wouldn’t go down again so she went inside to take the hairdryer and spent 30 minutes to heat the window to make it go down.

she did not go shopping because she didn’t want to have the same problem at the store.

now she said she would only use the dodge caravan.

I told her to preheat 30 minutes next time.

the window design and door handles is probably superior for the Mach E but I have never tried it.
Put this on all of your rubber seals. Gummi Pflege This isn't a problem unique to Teslas. Before I started using this stuff All of my cars had doors freeze to the door seals at times. This is great stuff and very popular in Europe. It not only will keep your doors/windows from freezing to the seals, it does a great job of preserving and extending the life of the seals.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I bought those and spread it over the rubber portion of the door cou tour however the window was frozen in the door mechanism.

do you recommend spreading that between the window and the door too?
Never heard of that before. You should make a service appointment. You must have defective slide strips? I''d just request mobile service to come to your location; that sounds like something they could do pretty easy. Probably replace the slide strip and re-grease the mechanism inside the door.

akf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RX450H, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I have looked at Tesla too on my search for a replacement vehicle ...

I think at end of the day, it depends on what you are looking for, a family/commuting car or a high-tech gadget.

As a high-tech gadget, Tesla is currently unbeatable on Battery performance (range/efficiency) as they have been developing for years compared to other automakers that just start getting serious a year or two ago. same goes with OTA or FSD technology.

As a family or commuting car, for the price you are paying, the quality just not there (interior/exterior, comfort level, and material ... etc). As Elon once said, it is a 'minimalist' design, but honestly, it is their cost-cutting measure as they are putting the money on the battery/OTA/FSD instead of quality/comfort.

So at end of the day, it is really the buyer's opinion on what they are looking for: a $60K tech gadget or a $60K reasonable luxury/comfort family/commute vehicle.

Last edited:

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This the main thing. The ranges are similar, if not better for the MME. Tesla really games the system to squeeze the EPA numbers to get the stock market hot and bothered

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...-factor-tesla-uses-for-big-epa-range-numbers/

The battery is much bigger in the MME. And remember that in the tesla that is close to 100% of the battery capacity. Which, yeah, can be useful to have available for rare road trips, but you can not charge your battery to that level every day. It will destroy the battery in months. In the MME it reserves a little more than 10% of the battery capacity, meaning you can get that much range every day no problem.

Also OP the tax credit is just a reduction to your tax bill. I'm going to stop withholding taxes on my paycheck to get the $7,500 ASAP.
The Federal Government thanks you for the interest free loan. They need everything they can get...

Ricmic8560

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Cadillac XT5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just wanted to point out that everyone needs to remember that Ford battery backs are 75kw and 99kw. However, they only using 66kw and 88kw. So technically I for see Ford over the next few years as they continue to tune the car via OTA updates that they will do like Tesla has and increase range as they tune vehicles to be more efficient. Remember tesla started out with the S60 that only did what 140 miles now they are up to 402 miles with the 100Kw battery back.

So with Ford just starting out I say they doing pretty good with a 260 mile and 300 mile range which varies on battery pack RWD or AWD and driving habits. Like most people I do not see the average consumer driving more than that in a day unless for business or road trips.
I was thinking the exact same idea about the battery packs now and what it could be in the future after Ford gathers enough data. I don't know if there is a buffer at the top and bottom to prevent overcharging (top end & shortening battery life) and running completely dead (bottom end & causing you to be stuck)? As much as I'd like to have AWD, I don't want to loose those precious 30 miles of range that the RWD has with the ER battery.

Ricmic8560

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Cadillac XT5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This sounds like a reasonable well summed up post.

+10
I agree. You would probably have to go up to a Tesla Model S to enjoy the comfort ride with its air suspension. The new models have just over 400 miles range with the 100Kwh pack. But most people can not afford the $70k+ entry level cost? Maybe a used Model S?
From all the videos I've seen of pro test driver/reviewers, every one of them said the MME is impressive in just about all areas.
I have only ever owned 2 Ford products in all of my 47 years of car buying. But I think I am now leaning towards the Mach-E for my next purchase and my first EV purchase. The styling both inside and outside, tech features, a usable frunk, pretty good horsepower, even in the lowest amounts.
I would go with the RWD ER Premium. I do want to see some more test drives showing a better use of power consumption than just 2.7 miles per Kwh? Those test drives were not a true measurement of straight highway efficiency though. Ford is giving the test drivers just an hour or two to play with it. The center stack is pretty cool as it shows you where all the energy was used: (inside)climate, accessories, trip, (outside)temperature. One of the engineers said the center screen will learn your habits after about an hour of driving. Pretty cool!

Reactions: ARK

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

bagger

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am with you on most of what you said about both cars. I really like the looks of the MME over the MY. I am hoping that with the MME, Ford will at some point in the future, open up some of the top end of the reserved battery and raise the mileage range to over 300? I really like the interior of the MME, especially the display behind the wheel. I think it is more natural for the eyes to look down between the steering wheel for speed and battery information rather than to the right on the single Tesla center display, that at any time can go dark? The fact that the MME has a nicely sized frunk very similar to Tesla's, tells me how much thought went into the engineering of the vehicle. Look at the VW ID4 and Nissan Ariya, they both will not have a frunk, and neither will the Fisker Ocean!
The other question that comes to mind is how much will the MME be worth in 2-3 or 5 years VS the MY? Another thing that bothers me is the shorter warranty on the MME. You get 3yrs/36k miles bumper to bumper, 8yrs/100k miles on the battery and 5yrs/60k on the drive train VS the MY you get 4yrs/50k miles bumper to bumper, 8yrs/120k miles on battery and drive train? In the end the MME is eligible for the $7500 tax credit which is not available on any Tesla. I have not made a decision either way yet. I will wait to see what the new year brings.
I was thinking the exact same idea about the battery packs now and what it could be in the future after Ford gathers enough data. I don't know if there is a buffer at the top and bottom to prevent overcharging (top end & shortening battery life) and running completely dead (bottom end & causing you to be stuck)? As much as I'd like to have AWD, I don't want to loose those precious 30 miles of range that the RWD has with the ER battery.
With the car being so heavy, do you need AWD in Ohio weather?

bagger

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
With the car being so heavy, do you need AWD in Ohio weather?
Maybe not in Westerville, but in NE OH, I would say yes.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Another reason I went from Tesla fanboy to MachE.

The paint on this 21' Tesla Model 3 in our shop is so thin, it probably can't be polished again safely.
Sponsored