Seriously considering the Tesla Y now, talk me down

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I went back and forth between the TMY and MME a lot over the past year. Ultimately I ordered the ER AWD MME (premium in infinite blue). The reason basically boiled down to quality - or the lack thereof - with Tesla. Honestly the TMY would have been a no-brainer for me *IF* the quality was there - range, power, cargo capacity, and an available tow-hitch here in the US. The fact that it is made in the US was also a nice plus. Buy American when possible you know?

But even a year into the TMY's production you still see people who rave about their cars and then say "yeah there were a few minor issues but they got fixed!" Uh, what? Hold on there hoss. Why were there any issues in a car that goes for around 55-65k (including sales tax)?

Then stories about how Tesla recycles their "lemons" into loaner cars for people. Cars that, being lemons, may very well be seriously unsafe to drive!

Bumpers that fall off...

Panoramic glass roofs that fly off on the highway....

And on and on and on.....

I just couldn't justify it. I've driven sh*tboxes before that needed a lot of maintenance and in the best of circumstances that sucks. Between that and the fact the nearest service center is an hour by car from where I live while there's a Ford dealership a couple of miles (basically *walking* distance if necessary) the quality issues just ended up being a deal breaker for me.

Meanwhile the MME gets rave reviews nearly everywhere. Edmunds declares it the best luxury electric SUV for 2021 (against several other very nice BEV electric SUVs) and even very pro-Tesla commentators like Ben Sullens were very complimentary of it. Based on all of that I am taking the calculated chance that Ford isn't taking any risks with the reputation of the Mustang badge and quality will be excellent. However even if it isn't I somehow doubt it will fail as bad as Tesla seems to be lately.
Yeah we e been discussing this for some time here and there’s just no logic involved in a lot of it. Honestly all makes and models are going to have problems and a few are going to be shabby enough to be officially lemons. But really, when it’s such a large percentage of your output, someone’s not minding the store. And in Tesla’s case, no one is minding a thing.

My neighbor has a brand new model Y. When my Mach-e arrives, it’ll be interesting to see them side by side and do a quality cross check. Just two random BEVs that ended upnext door to each other.

Last edited:

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I went to the MME show event at a dealer out of state this weekend. Since I was also visiting SLC I decided to test drive the Y. I was super impressed with the power and handling. The interior was very bland, and almost felt unfinished. However it made me take another look.

I have put together a spreadsheet and some of the big selling points are better warranty, much better range, than the MMR and available in 2-4 weeks. It is more expensive after the MME tax credit, but I won't see that until mid 2022 now (since 2020 tax year will not be possible).

Talk to me about range. I need AWD and will get the MME premium with extended battery. I also live in a cold climate (Idaho). My commute is 100 miles per day, which is why I am going electric, but that doesn't worry me. I often do weekend trips to Utah (250-500 miles each way depending on who I am visiting) and to the national parks (200-300 miles per day).

What can I realistically expect for highway range, in the winter with the MME AWD extended range and the Tesla Y long range (not performance)?
How much you paying for this consulting?
Sponsored