Service at 20,000 miles, is it necessary?

djjerv91

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just went over the 20,000 mile mark and am curious if anyone has scheduled the 20,000 mile service recommended by the app and how it went/what was the cost? I couldn't find other forums on this topic but if there are, that's my bad.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The manual specifies 10,000 mile service intervals and tells you exactly what should be done at each point.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I had mine done. Tire rotation and cabin filter. I changed out the cabin filter myself and brought it in for tires and bluecruise update. Ford Server issues prevented that but rotation was like $30.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Had mine completed and cost was $19.95.

I changed out the cabin air filter on my own later. I think manual says to do the every 20k miles but I've done it at the 10k intervals and felt it was dirty enough to keep that schedule up

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
It depends on whether you want to deal with a hassle for a warranty issue down the road.

Do the work, keep the receipts, add to the log book.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It depends on whether you want to deal with a hassle for a warranty issue down the road.

Do the work, keep the receipts, add to the log book.
Pretty hard to void a warranty over a tire rotation lol

Reactions: SWO

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Reanimating this thread because I have a big road trip coming up and the nearest EV-certified dealer is booked until I have to leave. So... Doing it myself.

The service is:
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
  • Inspect vehicle cooling systems level, strength and hoses.
  • Inspect half-shaft boots.
  • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
  • Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
  • Inspect tires and check tire pressures.
  • Perform multi-point inspection.
  • Rotate the tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
  • Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
I don't have the service manual, so inspecting the vehicle cooling strength will be a best-guess as to what they mean there.

My torque wrench is only good up to about 100 ft-lbs, so will need a new one.
Everything else I've done before in other vehicles.

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Reanimating this thread because I have a big road trip coming up and the nearest EV-certified dealer is booked until I have to leave. So... Doing it myself.

The service is:
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
  • Inspect vehicle cooling systems level, strength and hoses.
  • Inspect half-shaft boots.
  • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
  • Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
  • Inspect tires and check tire pressures.
  • Perform multi-point inspection.
  • Rotate the tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
  • Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
I don't have the service manual, so inspecting the vehicle cooling strength will be a best-guess as to what they mean there.

My torque wrench is only good up to about 100 ft-lbs, so will need a new one.
Everything else I've done before in other vehicles.
My God do you know how much work it would take to inspect the cooling system. If they actually said the cooling system that would mean they would have to take half the car apart to get to all the hoses to look at all of them that would include taking out the front track the battery dow that would be absolutely insane. Worth a small fee laugh out loud

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My God do you know how much work it would take to inspect the cooling system. If they actually said the cooling system that would mean they would have to take half the car apart to get to all the hoses to look at all of them that would include taking out the front track the battery dow that would be absolutely insane. Worth a small fee laugh out loud
Yeah, I'm not going through every hose. But I will check the coolant levels and etc. I may get a couple of other things I've been putting off done while the frunk is out, too.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Just went over the 20,000 mile mark and am curious if anyone has scheduled the 20,000 mile service recommended by the app and how it went/what was the cost? I couldn't find other forums on this topic but if there are, that's my bad.
Must be different service intervals in UK.

Started at every 1yr/18,500 miles, paid c£160 for first service after about 6 mths old.

Service intervals changed to 2yrs unlimited miles.

2 years for me is c60,000 miles!!!

Notwithstanding, at around 42,000 miles paid c£60 for interim service/checks.

Just booked in for 2yr service next Monday at around 58,000 miles inc brake fluid change for total of c£320.

Cheap maintenance, saved me around £7,000 in fuel, great looker and super drive.

Not bad for a works van 😬

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I am due for my 20k. I can get tires rotated for free. Will my warranty be voided if I don't go for this service. I don't really want to spend 2 hours at the dealer for a tire rotation. Plus, I hate the dealership I bought from but they were the only one that had the car we wanted.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have been rotating my tires at ~3000-3500 mile intervals. I replaced the cabin air filter with a washable filter back when the car had very few miles on it. I haven’t had to wash the filter yet. 🤷‍♂️🐩

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I am due for my 20k. I can get tires rotated for free. Will my warranty be voided if I don't go for this service. I don't really want to spend 2 hours at the dealer for a tire rotation. Plus, I hate the dealership I bought from but they were the only one that had the car we wanted.
And you should be able to take it to any Ford dealer for such a service.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
And you should be able to take it to any Ford dealer for such a service.
Thank you. My husband convinced me to do this at a dealer. I am going to where we bought it because I called another and they didn't seem thrilled about me coming there. They said only tire rotation and oil change and that they wouldn't do any warranty or other service because it was purchased elsewhere and they don't have enough EV certified techs. I didn't feel welcome so, I will go to the crappy one closer to my house.
Sponsored