Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Bookkeeper
Country flag
I use a tire shop to rotate the tires, so maybe I'll hit up a dealer for the 20,000 mile service, but it sure as hell won't be the place where I bought the car. Their service department sucks. I took it in once when I got a battery warning light (it had set in the garage for a week while I was sick), and after making me wait over a week for an appointment, they said I needed to leave the car with them for a few weeks until their EV certified employees could get around to it.

I see articles regularly about how the charging network is the biggest problems EV owners face, but I disagree. I only use public chargers on rare trips (two in the 16 months I've had the car), but dealers who consider the vehicles they sell to be a nuisance are a problem that Ford needs to address.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So this is my first ev and have had it since August. I am about to reach the 10K mile mark and Ford recommends taking it in for service. Other then rotating tires is there really anything that needs to be done? Should I take it in or just get the tires rotated at a discount tire or tire shop?

Thanks,
I do not use Dealers for 'regular Service'.
I DID have them check a few error codes, take care of outstanding Recalls (windshield) and TSB at the appointed time instead.

I rotate my own tires... mostly because I have jacks, lift pads installed, and AL nuts I don't want the Dealer to strip with an impact wrench.

I fill my own washer fluid, and will replace the wipers myself.... that's about it until you want the cabin air filter replaced, which I will probably order and do myself.

OP
OP

wblachfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition/Mach E
Country flag
I took mine in so that there is a record that it has had the recommended preventative maintenance, in case warranty issues later question that. It was $24.95 total.
Probably not a bad idea...

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I took mine in for the 10k... its going in for the 20k next week.

It's good to have the services done as suggested and the cost is minimal.

I'd rather have the dealer do a tire rotation than a tire store simply because it is possible to make bad decisions jacking the car... the dealer knows how to do this for sure.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I took mine in for the 10k... its going in for the 20k next week.

It's good to have the services done as suggested and the cost is minimal.

I'd rather have the dealer do a tire rotation than a tire store simply because it is possible to make bad decisions jacking the car... the dealer knows how to do this for sure.
One note about the 20K service. It calls for cabin air filter replacement, so if you’ve already upgraded it to an aftermarket carbon filter, be sure to tell them not to replace it. Otherwise you’ll pay about $30 for them to throw away your superior filter!

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Has Ford published the list of dealers that are certified or going to be certified for their new EV brand? I would feel much more comfortable knowing the dealer I take the MME to is certified to work on EVs.

bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I opted not to take mine in. The dealer called as a reminder and offered me the 10k service and an oil change. My car has been in the shop 16 times figured I could skip this one. I do swap summer and winter tires so no need for a rotation either.

The 30k service I will probably have done because it's close to warranty expiration and would like to catch anything that may be an issue

Did I read that right? The dealer is offering to do an "oil change" on your Mach-E?

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Dealer nearby is asking for 79.99 + tax for my first service
You forgot to put CAD after your $. You just made our friends in the U.S.A spit out their morning coffee! Yes my 16k kms Service would have been $69.30 CAD if I did not use my FordPass points. Chilliwack Ford, B.C. And yes that is a ridiculous amount of money for a tire rotation and "multipoint inspection".

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I have a 2021. I’m coming up on 2 years / 30k. I haven’t taken it in for “scheduled service check” because:

1. It is still under warranty, plus extended bumper to bumper coverage.
2. It’s been in a few times for warranty work, including replacing the half shafts about a year ago.
3. It’s an EV with a LOT less to inspect. This is perk of owning an EV, but people are still treating them like ICE.
4. Why rotate tires when I’m gonna replace them around 45k anyway? I’ve never rotated, and I still have decent tread life at 30k.

Paying for a scheduled service check this early seems like a waste of time and money.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
My dealer just called me based on the kilometers that they are monitoring somehow...
Great
Tire rotation, "recommended brake service", "recommended alignment check" etc...

I swap my tires for winter and summers already, I don't need a rotation and the rest of it can take a hike.
I already feel like the stealership is about to try to pull a bunch of crap on me

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Did I read that right? The dealer is offering to do an "oil change" on your Mach-E?
Yep, you read it right. I am sure the folks making appointments are not trained very well

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
One note about the 20K service. It calls for cabin air filter replacement, so if you’ve already upgraded it to an aftermarket carbon filter, be sure to tell them not to replace it. Otherwise you’ll pay about $30 for them to throw away your superior filter!
wow, thanks for the tip!

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I took mine in. They also check the battery system for leaks, check suspension and steering links, etc. Just be sure to fill your windscreen fluid.. My dealer has a flat rate of $20.00 for topping it up even if they only add 50ml!! I could have bought 4 or 5 jugs for that price LOL Live and learn...
What???? I do have one can in my garage all the time but whenever I go to the dealer, they top it up for free even if I did not go in for service.
Sponsored