'Service Vehicle Soon' (SVS) Alert: w DTC confirming HVBJB needed - Dealer must use COPIS ticket to expedite !

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
There have been a couple threads lately (post software 'recall'/update OTA) from people that got the error Alert 'Service Vehicle Soon'. (SVS Alert)

I got just such an alert 10/5/22 at 18,165 mi on the OD. I have a Select AWD-SR, so was in a 'lower' risk group, but it did eventually happen. I decided to start this thread to post how things progress knowing that in my case diagnostic code P0ADE(00) was thrown.... which verifies it is a Contactor problem which will require physical HVBJB replacement to actually fix the problem.

The most important things to a speedy resolution are:
- get your Dealership to read the error codes (DTC) as soon as possible, and
- if a DTC indicates a HVBJB replacement is Warranted, make sure the Dealership orders the parts thru the COPIS program... this is the only way to obtain the parts as the regular system will show them as 'backordered' forever.

First, how to verify.... Unfortunately, you MUST get a service appt with your chosen Service Dealership so they can plug in diagnostic equipment, extract and verify the appropriate Diagnostic Codes before they can open an official Case and order the replacement HVBJB. This verification process *could* be done remotely, but most Dealerships are not setup to pull the information OTA. So, if you see the 'Service Vehicle Soon' Alert.... do not delay in making an appointment at the Dealership!

How does it look you ask.... well, like this in my 2021 Select-AWD-SR:
Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Service Vehicle Soon' (SVS) Alert: w DTC confirming HVBJB needed - Dealer must use COPIS ticket to expedite ! 20221005_DisplaySVSalert

and then in FordPass, you'll see:
Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Service Vehicle Soon' (SVS) Alert: w DTC confirming HVBJB needed - Dealer must use COPIS ticket to expedite ! 20221006-FordPass-Alert

and the alert details will show this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Service Vehicle Soon' (SVS) Alert: w DTC confirming HVBJB needed - Dealer must use COPIS ticket to expedite ! 20221006-FordPassBattDetails

I am PISSED OFF AT @Ford Motor Company for not treating this like a real 'Recall' and allowing Dealers to pre-order the parts and schedule replacements before they actually fail, or at least have ONE HVBJB on hand to service one of their customers coming in with SVS in a timely manner, since all of the 50k+ vehicles are known-to-be-at-risk with first generation HVBJB.

Why? Because I had to take a couple hours to bring my MME in so they can verify the code I can see myself, then I had to wait 3-10 days for the part and limit my work trips out of town for fear of being stranded with a 'Stop Safely Now' somewhere remote and needing an expensive and possibly damaging tow to the Dealership until the part was replaced. Then I had to wait for Service schedule to open up at the Dealership with the one tech they have certified for this work, then I had to bring MME in again for a whole day, or two and possibly three more likely, for the Service to replace the part we all know is bad already.

================================================
Here is the timeline for resolution in my case, and a big tip on how to expedite the ordering:

10/5/22 - SVS Alert appeared on display while driving, and in FordPass

10/6/22 - I pulled DTC code P0ADE(00) from my ODB2 reader with my CarScanner App, which reads in exportable report:
P0ADE(00)
Raw code: 0ADE00
ECU: 7EC
Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Warning indicator requested
OBDII: Hybrid battery positive contactor - control circuit range/performance
This code verifies the need for a replacement HVBJB, so I emailed this report to my dealer, and they were understanding and apologetic, but said " we have to generate the ODB2 report here in the shop with FDRS to initiate the warranty service before we can even order the part.... and next Tuesday is first available time to get you in to verify the DTC code." ..... so I made the appt ASAP. This is a good opportunity to really get to know your Dealership Service team, and try to expedite the appointment since you have a legitimate problem that *could* leave you stranded and require an expensive tow to the nearest Dealership.

10/7/22 - I drafted and sent a email to my local Dealership GM to encourage him to push on Ford a little for a policy change to enable Dealership to order and inventory at least one HVBJB of each flavor to service customers they sold MMEs to during the Recall eligible period of the first 50k vehicles. This has had no real affect, but maybe if more of us get our Dealerships to write Ford it will get noticed. The email I sent is as follows, and I'd encourage anybody with a VIN eligible to write the something similar to your local Dealership GM:

Dear GM at _________ Ford ,​
I am really enjoying the MME you sold me _____. However, since I am in the first 50k produced, I am very concerned about the eventuality of needing the HVBJB replaced since it is a known failure part and has a re-designed version available to correct the flaw.​
I understand that your Service team is currently operating within current Policy, apparently set by Ford Corporate, that prevents you from stocking any of the actual HVJBJ replacement parts ( think there are 2 part models, one for GTs and one for non-GT ). My Issue is that the delay in ordering the replacement part (for a known recall) puts the resolution of the issue several weeks down the road once the diagnostic codes verifying a failed unit are available. In the meantime I feel like I am driving a time bomb that could die at any moment and leave me stranded....​
So, I wanted to suggest that this specific Recall procedure would serve your Customers better, reduce 'emergency costs' to cover tows and rentals to Ford, and greatly enhance Dealership and Ford reputation with a small but important change in Policy. I am hoping you can request a Policy change to Ford corporate to enable Service dept to stock at least one HVBJB of each flavor..... along the lines of:​
Dealerships intending to move forward with continued EV Sales and Service and having sold Mach-es during the Recall period (the first 50k Mach-e produced) applicable for HVBJB replacement are eligible to order and stock one HVBJB unit of each type to be held in Service Inventory to be used for authorized replacement per Recall procedure upon verification of appropriate diagnostic codes recorded with FDRS.
Since Ford is asking Dealerships to Pony up $1M for chargers if they want to continue to sell and service EVs, can you ask them to allow you to stock at least one HVBJB to have on hand to better serve the Owners you have already sold to? Especially knowing that these parts are required to actually fix a KNOWN recall? It's not a matter of if, its just a matter of when they will fail and how well you can handle it.​

10/11/22 - first available service date for Dealership to verify DTC. I went in with a copy of the TSB 22-2178 printed out to make sure that they would know the DTC P0ADE indicated a replacement. They verified in less than 20 minutes, and initiated the authorization/order process. First thru the regular Order process, and they were told the part was backordered.... I tried to open a Case with the BEV Team, but that was a slow and painful process.

10/12/22 I found out that the best way to expedite the Order is to make sure the Dealership knows they have to order the part thru their 'COPIS' program. This resulted in the Order for the part being accepted same day, and shipped with 'expedited' delivery to my Dealership. I am still waiting for confirmation from the 'Case Manager' 4 days later.... So, I would suggest you don't waste your time on hold with Customer service. Just make sure your Dealership orders the HVBJB thru the COPIS process.

While waiting for the part, I noticed that once the SVS Alert pops up, something in the 'Software Recall Update' not only logs the Alert and codes, but it also clamps down on max output Power. My AWD Select SR had max output of 200 kW, and now post-SVS max output is 125 kW. Presumably this will prevent the issue from progressing to full stop SSN.... But its a lot less fun to drive, and very worrisome not knowing if I'll make it until Part arrives. I ended up driving several hundred miles between Alert and when I brought my MME in for replacement. so.... chances of outright failure moving to SSN are minimized by the power limiting once the SVS Alert kicks in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Service Vehicle Soon' (SVS) Alert: w DTC confirming HVBJB needed - Dealer must use COPIS ticket to expedite ! CarScanner-shows-125kw-limit-wSVS

10/18/22 - the replacement HVBJB arrived, and Service was scheduled to start. Since this is the first one my Dealership is doing, they are estimating 2 days in the shop rather than the Ford allocated 6 hour service; and they were nice enough to set me up with a Loaner until they finished. I'd imagine after they do a couple, it will go faster. The work ended up taking 3 days as the certified tech was not available to work on my MME full-time.

10/21/22 - picked up my MME.... new HVBJB installed, and everything back to 'normal' 10 days after the Dealership verified the DTC.

I am still PISSED OFF @Ford Motor Company that my Dealerships can't have at least one HVBJB sitting in Service Inventory. I *could* have avoided 2 trips to the Dealership and the stress of the wait for the Part to arrive.

The better way @Ford Motor Company could handle this is:

- Ford corporate should allow/enable pre-order and ship at least one replacement HVBJB to Dealerships that are trained and certified to do this Service so they can have at least one replacement part on hand to service each of the (3) models they sold in 2021-22 period subject to recall. Most Dealerships allow Corporate to manage their Inventory, so Corporate just has to change their Policy to pre-stock the parts at Certified EV Dealerships.

- to allow remote read/verification of DTC either with remote FDRS read from corporate, or FordPass, or Customer to enable Dealership to initiate order of replacement HVBJB if they don't already have one in stock.

- revise and re-issue TSB 22-2178 to clarify to Dealerships that ordering thru COPIS more effective and timely than having the Customer struggle thru the Corporate Customer Service swamp to initiate a 'case'.

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Hey at least you seem to have a dealer that has some basic competence. Look at the mega thread on the HVBJB issue and you'll see a poor guy who had his clueless dealer drive his car around for 65 miles and a week of BS before he was able to scream at them enough to call Ford to tell them to order the part.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I am PISSED OFF @Ford Motor Company that my Dealership can't have at least one HVBJB sitting in Service Inventory.
Not that you need to hear it from me, but you have every right to be "I am PISSED OFF @Ford Motor Company that my Dealership can't have at least one HVBJB sitting in Service Inventory." It is clear that Ford is prioritizing selling new MMEs over servicing their existing customers. This will ultimately bite them. It's extremely disappointing. The MME made me a first time Ford customer. I fear it could very well be my last...

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Not that you need to hear it from me, but you have every right to be "I am PISSED OFF @Ford Motor Company that my Dealership can't have at least one HVBJB sitting in Service Inventory." It is clear that Ford is prioritizing selling new MMEs over servicing their existing customers. This will ultimately bite them. It's extremely disappointing. The MME made me a first time Ford customer. I fear it could very well be my last...

I most aggravating aspect to me is that this could be handled SOOOOO much better with a very small policy change. If Dealerships were 'allowed' to stock at least one new HVBJB unit for 'regular' and 'GT' if they had sold any... Then the remove/replace could be scheduled with very little delay.

I see this as a pretty basic goal for a local Dealership that actually wants to be prepared to Service what they have sold.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I most aggravating aspect to me is that this could be handled SOOOOO much better with a very small policy change. If Dealerships were 'allowed' to stock at least one new HVBJB unit for 'regular' and 'GT' if they had sold any... Then the remove/replace could be scheduled with very little delay.

I see this as a pretty basic goal for a local Dealership that actually wants to be prepared to Service what they have sold.
Agreed. I've no idea what their HVBJB supply chain constraints are, but they do have ~10,000 US dealerships (and of course the cars fail globally, not just here), so that's a lot of potential HVBJBs sitting around. While I don't like it, and of course think that Ford should be doing proactive HVBJB recall with replacement rather than a BS s/w "fix", I get it that supply chain logistics may make this difficult.

@Ford Motor Company, here's an idea:

1. Update your contactor failure bulletin to all dealerships with the following changes:
    1. when any MME driver reports an SVS/SSN the vehicle must immediately be diagnosed remotely using FDRS (after all, if Forum members can do it, so can any dealership).
    2. If the vehicle has any of the contactor imminent failure codes (or contactor failed codes), the dealership must immediately order the appropriate replacement HVBJB which will be overnighted to the dealership free of charge. The dealership must also schedule the car for service as soon as possible given the dealership's current service schedule.
  2. Send out a bulletin to all MME customers notifying them of this situation (not all MME owners are members of this forum), explain the procedures for resolving the issue, and most importantly establish a hotline for MME customers to call with a dedicated 800 number as well as online chat to report SVS/SSN problems (and ideally perform initial FDRS DTC lookup and diagnosis), with help scheduling the replacement by checking with all dealerships in the customer's area to determine to earliest available service appointment. (When my MME threw a dozen warnings and all kinds of stuff stopped working two days after I purchased it, Ford customer service helped me find a dealership that could service my MME sooner than the 1-2 weeks I was quoted by the first dealership I called.)
In other words, if you're not willing to proactively do an actual real world recall (instead of the BS s/w one) for a part that is clearing almost certainly going to fail on all MMEs, then you should at least setup the systems to expedite replacement when the problem inevitably occurs.

PS. Your customers should not need to be designing your customer service protocols, but since you seem unable to, I figured I'd make some suggestions...

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Agreed. I've no idea what their HVBJB supply chain constraints are, but they do have ~10,000 US dealerships (and of course the cars fail globally, not just here), so that's a lot of potential HVBJBs sitting around. While I don't like it, and of course think that Ford should be doing proactive HVBJB recall with replacement rather than a BS s/w "fix", I get it that supply chain logistics may make this difficult.

1. Update your contactor failure bulletin to all dealerships with the following changes:
    1. when any MME driver reports an SVS/SSN the vehicle must immediately be diagnosed remotely using FDRS (after all, if Forum members can do it, so can any dealership).
    2. If the vehicle has any of the contactor imminent failure codes (or contactor failed codes), the dealership must immediately order the appropriate replacement HVBJB which will be overnighted to the dealership free of charge. The dealership must also schedule the car for service as soon as possible given the dealership's current service schedule.
  2. Send out a bulletin to all MME customers notifying them of this situation (not all MME owners are members of this forum), explain the procedures for resolving the issue, and most importantly establish a hotline for MME customers to call with a dedicated 800 number as well as online chat to report SVS/SSN problems (and ideally perform initial FDRS DTC lookup and diagnosis), with help scheduling the replacement by checking with all dealerships in the customer's area to determine to earliest available service appointment. (When my MME threw a dozen warnings and all kinds of stuff stopped working two days after I purchased it, Ford customer service helped me find a dealership that could service my MME sooner than the 1-2 weeks I was quoted by the first dealership I called.)
In other words, if you're not willing to proactively do an actual real world recall (instead of the BS s/w one) for a part that is clearing almost certainly going to fail on all MMEs, then you should at least setup the systems to expedite replacement when the problem inevitably occurs.

PS. Your customers should not need to be designing your customer service protocols, but since you seem unable to, I figured I'd make some suggestions...
This would be one approach, but why incur the overnight expenses, why not just ALLOW dealerships to stock at least one HVBJB of each flavor to be help in inventory until a car throwing a code rolls in?

The number could be help down by allowing ONLY the dealers that actually sold any of the first 50k MME to order, and narrow it further by allowing ONLY the Dealerships that are signing up for 'elite level' EV sales and service in the future.... Ford is requiring them to buy in with $1M of chargers and service equipment, the least they could do is allow stocking KNOW recall parts that will need service/replacement eventually.

Today I drafted an email to my Dealership, to encourage the GM to negotiate with Ford in hopes they will change policy and allow the Dealership to order and inventory at least one HVBJB of each flavor...... I think I will put the text of it in my top post, and perhaps all of us Owners that are interested can send something similar to local Dealerships that they may need to utilize for Service.

@Ford Motor Company , I hope you are watching this thread.... and also hoping your Marketing team figures out that getting the first 50,000 Owners back on board will be your best Marketing for selling the NEXT 50,000.

Last edited:

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I would be annoyed too. I'm still annoyed that after 3 months I still haven't received the recall OTA patch. I guess non GT '22s are at the end of the line?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I fully agree that Ford Corporate should have EV certified dealerships stocking at least one each of the three HVBJB parts (single motor, AWD, GT) so that dealers can actually service their customers. Unfortunately, that is not the current reality. And yes, I am also very upset that Ford Corporate is not allowing this. 🤬🐩

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
This would be one approach, but why incur the overnight expenses, why not just ALLOW dealerships to stock at least one HVBJB of each flavor to be help in inventory until a car throwing a code rolls in?

The number could be help down by allowing ONLY the dealers that actually sold any of the first 50k MME to order, and narrow it further by allowing ONLY the Dealerships that are signing up for 'elite level' EV sales and service in the future.... Ford is requiring them to buy in with $1M of chargers and service equipment, the least they could do is allow stocking KNOW recall parts that will need service/replacement eventually.

Today I drafted an email to my Dealership, to encourage the GM to negotiate with Ford in hopes they will change policy and allow the Dealership to order and inventory at least one HVBJB of each flavor...... I think I will put the text of it in my top post, and perhaps all of us Owners that are interested can send something similar to local Dealerships that they may need to utilize for Service.
I guess my perspective is different in that I didn't buy my MME from the dealership where I get it serviced. Yes, they do sell lots of MMEs, so yes, they would still qualify for have-one-in-stock, but I think the logistics of all that would complicate things. To my mind, the ability to get one overnight as soon as a a dealership remotely confirms a failed HVBJB would solve the bulk of the issues. Having Ford find the closest dealership that can do the service quickly would be just as important since we hear of owners waiting weeks for the service...

But I do like your letter-writing campaign idea. I think as owners we need to be making more noise one way or another.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The policy was changed because some dealers were stockpiling them. There are 2100 Ford EV dealers in the USA, so that would require 2100 junction boxes diverted to just sitting around. That’s going to tie up a lot of stock on a very limited supply part.

I would feel better about only letting large EV dealers that service lots of Mach-Es stock them, so maybe only 100 dealers instead of 2100. Another change that would help a lot is if the dealers could just use the codes that show up in the computer remotely (vehicle telemetry) for warranty claims. Dealer should be able to look up your VIN on the phone, see the code in the computer system, and order the part right then. You shouldn’t have to bring the car in to order the part, but that may be the case currently.

This is a moonshot, but if Ford was REALLY tech savvy they could even automatically send the part to your preferred dealer when your car sets the trouble code for a failed junction box. It would just be a computer script that triggers when the specific code is set in the system. You could then receive an automatic notification in FordPass:

“We’ve detected a failure in your HVBJB, a replacement part is now being sent to your dealer automatically. A case manager will be contacting you shortly to schedule your service.”

Wouldn’t that be something?

Last edited:

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
There have been a couple threads lately (post software 'recall'/update OTA) from people that finally got the error Alert 'Service Vehicle Soon'. (SVS Alert) I just got just such an alert. I decided to start this thread to post how things progress knowing that in my case diagnostic code P0ADE(00) was thrown.... which verifies it is a Contactor problem.

How does it look you ask.... well, like this in my 2021 Select-AWD-SR:
Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Service Vehicle Soon' (SVS) Alert: w DTC confirming HVBJB needed - Dealer must use COPIS ticket to expedite ! CarScanner-shows-125kw-limit-wSVS

and then in FordPass, you'll see:

and the alert details will show this:

I copied your suggested email message and sent to my dealership. Maybe we should all send it to Ford Motor co as well.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The policy was changed because some dealers were stockpiling them. There are 2100 Ford EV dealers in the USA, .... I would feel better about only letting large EV dealers that service lots of Mach-Es stock them, so maybe only 100 dealers instead of 2100.
I dunno about limiting it to 100, but I think the number of dealerships that are going to pony up the $1.4M to install L3 chargers if they intended to remain EV certified sales & service will be thinning the crowd substantially very soon.

Another change that would help a lot is if the dealers could just use the codes that show up in the computer remotely (vehicle telemetry) for warranty claims. Dealer should be able to look up your VIN on the phone, see the code in the computer system, and order the part right then. You shouldn’t have to bring the car in to order the part, but that may be the case currently.
This *should* be possible right now..... I got 'Alert' on my dashboard, and in FordPass, which indicates that the appropriate code was sent to some Ford server somewhere, right ?! Since FordPass has my VIN, mileage, and selected service Dealership I would hope that the Dealership would be pre-authorized to order the appropriate HVBJB, or even better to automatically create an order and ship the damn thing as soon as the Alert hit the system.

I think any and all of us having MMEs 'at risk' should contact our chosen Service Dealership and ask the Dealership GM to petition for the ability to either pre-order and stock, or to pre-authorize and order upon (remote) verification of Alert and DTC code via FDRS

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

My impression is that:

1. Ford is not a customer-focused company. They are optimized to produce and sell vehicles, but not to make sure owners are super-happy and remain loyal. It's just not the most important thing to them. It's interesting, however, because EV owners generally expect far more.

2. Ford has ginormous recall costs and quality issues, and it favors doing the bare minimum to save on warranty costs.

Let's see how well Rivian handles its steering recall, and just contrast how customer-centric they'll be with how the typical owner is treated when arriving at a Ford dealer with a hosed Mach-E that needs a HVBJB.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The policy was changed because some dealers were stockpiling them. There are 2100 Ford EV dealers in the USA, so that would require 2100 junction boxes diverted to just sitting around. That’s going to tie up a lot of stock on a very limited supply part.

I would feel better about only letting large EV dealers that service lots of Mach-Es stock them, so maybe only 100 dealers instead of 2100. Another change that would help a lot is if the dealers could just use the codes that show up in the computer remotely (vehicle telemetry) for warranty claims. Dealer should be able to look up your VIN on the phone, see the code in the computer system, and order the part right then. You shouldn’t have to bring the car in to order the part, but that may be the case currently.

This is a moonshot, but if Ford was REALLY tech savvy they could even automatically send the part to your preferred dealer when your car sets the trouble code for a failed junction box. It would just be a computer script that triggers when the specific code is set in the system. You could then receive an automatic notification in FordPass:

“We’ve detected a failure in your HVBJB, a replacement part is now being sent to your dealer automatically. A case manager will be contacting you shortly to schedule your service.”

A colleague at work with Brand T had her car do exactly that recently when it apparently also needed new contactors. The app told her it scheduled service because it said she needed a junction box replacement.

The crux of the whole problem is that Ford is requiring a "fail to fix" policy for these parts, so there is no planning for dealers or customers, and you're almost guaranteed to give the customer a major inconvenience (at best) or a horrible experience (at worst). Allowing the part to be replaced via dealer appointment without a failure would solve many of these issues, but would cost Ford more money in the short-term.

I don't think they seem to care what it costs them in customer loyalty in the long-term.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

I love this, Lee. And hey, the US went to the moon using 1960’s technology. Ford should be able to be proactive using 2020’s technology! This truly isn’t rocket science!!!
Sponsored