Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
What do you think the odds are that we'll see a Shelby or Cobra variant of the Mach E?

Personally, I think they'll hold those 2 for the coupe version(s) to kill off the ICE Mustang. That'll be a decade away.
Sponsored

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I don't see Ford waiting a decade for the BEV coupe versions. They are making gigantic investments in infrastructure which will take a while to build, but they will need to move their showcase brands quicker. The F150 is first, the coupe Mustang will be next.

Second, the marketplace is moving fast. If GM comes out with a BEV Camaro or a hybrid Corvette, Ford will have to respond. Add in the European brands - think 2 door BEV BMW or Audi coupes and Ford will lose the interest of the higher end of the market.

Ford marketing seems to be good, communications are abysmal, but they are investing in the transition and will need that attractive BEV coupe soon.

Hopefully, the Shelby or Cobra versions will be something more than stickers and some facia. Suspension tuning, a revised power curve and aero components. Nobody in their right mind would buy a Shelby for range after all.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I can't say I see it happening. That will very likely be something that gets extended into the (actual) Mustang lineup but this ain't it.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
We'll see something in three weeks at SEMA.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think it’s very likely - Ford Performance Chief Program Engineer Ed Krenz sort of let it slip around the Mach-E reveal in November 2019.

The current S550 generation had the GT350 for its launch for the 2015 model year. The prior S197 generation got the GT500 for 2007, i.e, the third model year after the 2005 launch.

My money is on a 2023 GT350. I bet they will come out with a GT500 at some later date.

I don’t think they will wait for the coupe Mustang to go for the first Shelby, I bet the battery weight issue makes it so that a Shelby electric coupe would still be a big challenge - I think the Mach-E is the easier conversion for them.