Shell Canada EV charging network from BC to Ontario revealed by Natural Resources Canada

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/sh...ontario-revealed-by-natural-resources-canada/

Shell Canada EV Charging Network
https://goo.gl/maps/Q8Lb2hC9WhTnTWRQ9

Shell Canada is following in the footsteps of Petro-Canada and planning to build an electric vehicle (EV) charging network across the country from British Columbia to Ontario.

The network was revealed by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), which provided partial funding for the project through its Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative. (h/t: EV Society – Sudbury)

According to a list of locations that received $3,950,000 in funding, the company is planning to build a total of 36 charging stations across the country.

The majority of the chargers will be built in two provinces.

British Columbia will receive 11 stations with a total of 23 chargers, and Ontario will see 17 stations built with a total of 35 chargers.

Alberta will get 4 stations and 9 chargers, while Saskatchewan gets 2 stations (4 chargers) and Manitoba 2 stations (5 chargers). You can see our map of all the locations below.

Since these are the stations that received funding from NRCan, it is possible Shell plans to build more without funding to better connect central Canada, as well as east of Ontario.

The Shell Recharge network is already up and running in the United Kingdom, where the company has been converting old gas stations into EV charging stations.

This isn’t the first time NRCan has disclosed the locations of upcoming EV charging stations. The location of 14 Superchargers in B.C., Alberta, and Saskatchewan were also revealed earlier this year.
Sponsored

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I wonder what the speeds will be. Hopefully up to 350kwh

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder what the speeds will be. Hopefully up to 350kwh
I feel like that's pretty much the standard now, particularly in high traffic areas like a gas station where want more traffic, and less loitering.

If you look at what Petro-Canada has done, they are all pretty much 350Kw sites, with the rare exception where a few are only 150kw so I feel like Shell will likely try to compete on that front. With that said, I personally go out of my way to use those Petro-Canada sites whenever I pass them so that I can let them know with my wallet that we want to see more of these sites come online, even if there are cheaper options available.

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I don’t find many cheaper options than petro Canada. An IVY in my town is cheaper but that’s the only 150kwhr or better I’ve come across cheaper than petro Canada. Unfortunately for me the 3 times I attempted to use petro Canada I had issues and could not use the stations. Very disappointed and had to go out of my way for an Electrify Canada.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t find many cheaper options than petro Canada. An IVY in my town is cheaper but that’s the only 150kwhr or better I’ve come across cheaper than petro Canada. Unfortunately for me the 3 times I attempted to use petro Canada I had issues and could not use the stations. Very disappointed and had to go out of my way for an Electrify Canada.
I should have clarified, I meant cheaper in the sense that many DC "Fast" chargers around where I live in Etobicoke, ON seem to be 50Kw chargers like Chargepoint, but are obviouslymuch slower. I find Petro-Canada pricing to be very reasonable particularly at the speeds they deliver. Now if we can only move towards a per Kwh billing system in this country, rather than charging for time, I think we would be moving in the right direction. It still boggles my mind that they can't get past the beurocratic red tape and update age old laws such that the only way to sell power based on Kwh rates is if your an electric utility company.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I should have clarified, I meant cheaper in the sense that many DC "Fast" chargers around where I live in Etobicoke, ON seem to be 50Kw chargers like Chargepoint, but are obviouslymuch slower. I find Petro-Canada pricing to be very reasonable particularly at the speeds they deliver. Now if we can only move towards a per Kwh billing system in this country, rather than charging for time, I think we would be moving in the right direction. It still boggles my mind that they can't get past the beurocratic red tape and update age old laws such that the only way to sell power based on Kwh rates is if your an electric utility company.
Be careful what you wish for. Here in the states, per minute rates on EA chargers come out to about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of per kw rates. Some states charge by the minute and some by the kw.
Sponsored