roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Volta Charge has the highest concentration of its chargers in California, Texas, and Illinois, with metro areas being the main focus of the company. In total, Volta operates 990 locations in North America, covering 399 cities. The company is also one of many that have attempted to make charging as cheap as possible by selling “billboard space” on each of its chargers. Nonetheless, Volta’s network is dwarfed by the Shell Recharge network, which, through the backing of the oil giant, has quickly expanded to 54,000 “charge points” in North America across countless locations.
It keeps going in the right direction for adding EV charging.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Volta Charge has the highest concentration of its chargers in California, Texas, and Illinois, with metro areas being the main focus of the company. In total, Volta operates 990 locations in North America, covering 399 cities. The company is also one of many that have attempted to make charging as cheap as possible by selling “billboard space” on each of its chargers. Nonetheless, Volta’s network is dwarfed by the Shell Recharge network, which, through the backing of the oil giant, has quickly expanded to 54,000 “charge points” in North America across countless locations.
It keeps going in the right direction for adding EV charging.
Filtering for CCS, there aren't that many:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shell snaps up EV charging operator Volta for $169 million 1674083498690

Last edited:

machev

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I can't speak to the total number of Shell Recharge for the US, I have personally charged at several Shell Recharge branded dispensers in the Northeast

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shell snaps up EV charging operator Volta for $169 million 1674083602193

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I’m unimpressed with Shell Recharge out here. Might as well have no DCFC. If the experience here is any indication, things aren’t going to get better fir the Volta stations.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
looks like Shell Recharge in OR are 50kW or less.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Stopped at one shell recharge station, 125kw or something, it took probably 40mins to get started and had the strangest connection to the car… I had to do some background trickery with the app to make it work, and I only figured that out because of a taxi/Uber driver that knew the station helped me, customer service was no help. They need a lot of work to fix their issues..

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I have only used one Shell Recharge station located outside Greenville SC. There were two dispensers. The first one I tried would not activate. The second one did. I reported the issue through the app and got a response the next day that they would look into the issue.

The station has a 10 rating on PlugShare. Looking at the reviews it looks lIke one or both dispensers break every other month. But is fixed within a few days.

Hopefully that is how they treat all their stations.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
This sucks, I use the free L2 Volta station a block away a couple of times per week (since I have no charging at my apartment building). Guessing they'll convert to a paid model soon after the transaction finalizes

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
I was watching Volta to see who was going to win viable marketshare. I reckon there will be a lot of home EVSE and small providers like Volta falling by the wayside. Their stock has dropped 80% in the past year, and bounced back on the announcement - all the way back to $..80

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I hope this doesn't end the free charging I have been enjoying at the small county zoo in Paramus, NJ and the free charging at the Paramus Park Mall.....losing the free charging would not be the end of the world, but I have become used to it......if gone I'll surely adjust
Sponsored