SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT error screen - Service Vehicle Soon!

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My AWD ER just popped up a SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT screen. Service vehicle soon! in now says four wheel drive fault. Can’t get it into service until Feb 11th!

Not pleased.
Sponsored

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
My AWD ER just popped up a SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT screen. Service vehicle soon! in now says four wheel drive fault. Can’t get it into service until Feb 11th!

Not pleased.
Mine did that once. Happened when I shifted into reverse too quickly. Turned off car and let it completely shut down. Everything was fine after and hasn’t come back

MeekelMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E LR AWD (Ordered 4.15.21)
Country flag

Not pleased.
I have to wait until the 14th to get mine looked at.

Badger66

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E ER AWD
Country flag
If it doesn't appear again after turning the car off, leaving for a period of time and turning on then don't go it dealer... it's a warning that happens. If it appears again the next time you drive the car then that's the time to see the dealer.

OP
OP

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There’s a TSB for it

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Mine did that for the 3rd time just yesterday. It took me 45 minutes to get the car to start into gear. I ended up driving it straight to the dealership it will probably be there for a few days :(

Where can I see the open TSB for it? I do not see it listed in the sticky thread.

OP
OP

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine did that for the 3rd time just yesterday. It took me 45 minutes to get the car to start into gear. I ended up driving it straight to the dealership it will probably be there for a few days :(

Where can I see the open TSB for it? I do not see it listed in the sticky thread.
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator - Various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) - Built On Or Before 09-Sep-2021
21-2405
16 November 2021
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 09-Sep-2021 may exhibit an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and/or display the message Shift System Fault – Service required with DTC U0103:87 stored in the secondary on board diagnostic module (SOBDMC). Some vehicles may also exhibit DTCs U0100:00, U0121, U0140, and/or U0155 stored in the gear shift module (GSM). This may be due to the software in the GSM. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the GSM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 09-Sep-2021
• Illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and/or display the message Shift System Fault with DTC U0103:87

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Retrieve DTCs And Reprogram The GSM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212405A
0.4 Hrs.
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:RECAL
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Reprogram the GSM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool

RailBlazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME
Country flag
Any news @Electric Goat? I guess I'm the second one in the shop from what I can tell. Here's my situation/experience so far:

Ordered my Premium, AWD, ER MME in June '21, Oct 11 build week (so the TSB posted here in theory isn't an issue), and delivered early Dec. I'd had the car for about 6 or 7 weeks and only 770 miles before this issue popped up for me. Started on a Monday morning when I first powered up car and when I shift back to Park from Reverse. Has happened every time ever since. The car has never shown any issues with drivability however so added another 200+ miles before a service appointment was available yesterday.

Dealership failed to provide any info yesterday but called me around noon today. So far, nothing obviously wrong has been observed but the fault persists. Apparently all module diagnostics report back no problems so not clear that Ford will authorize any module replacements. Service advisor suggested that a networking issue is a consideration so a wiring harness or gear shift module (possibly being the knob in the cockpit...advisor wasn't sure) replacement may still be a possibility. The dealership is working with the Ford hotline to determine next steps so I'm guessing I probably won't have any details until tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Curious as to what others will learn when they bring in their MMEs in the next few days...

OP
OP

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@RailBlazer Mine was built near the end of September '21. I"m in the exact same situation as you and I have been told the exact same thing. Currently waiting for multiple teams to figure it out. :confused:
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator - Various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) - Built On Or Before 09-Sep-2021
21-2405
16 November 2021
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 09-Sep-2021 may exhibit an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and/or display the message Shift System Fault – Service required with DTC U0103:87 stored in the secondary on board diagnostic module (SOBDMC). Some vehicles may also exhibit DTCs U0100:00, U0121, U0140, and/or U0155 stored in the gear shift module (GSM). This may be due to the software in the GSM. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the GSM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 09-Sep-2021
• Illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and/or display the message Shift System Fault with DTC U0103:87

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
Description Operation No. Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Retrieve DTCs And Reprogram The GSM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212405A
0.4 Hrs.
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part: RECAL
Condition Code: 04
Service Procedure
1. Reprogram the GSM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool.

RailBlazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME
Country flag
So I'll be getting a new GSM. Sounds like 4-5 business days to get the part (which isn't horrible given the general supply chain circumstances). Hope it addresses it.

Fold88

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A
Occupation
A
Country flag
I got this message today for the first time. Less than 500 miles on the vehicle. Taking it in on Tuesday. I love the vehicle, but obviously have concerns with service needed this soon.

OP
OP

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I got this message today for the first time. Less than 500 miles on the vehicle. Taking it in on Tuesday. I love the vehicle, but obviously have concerns with service needed this soon.
Had the software loaded at my dealer yesterday and everything is fine now

RailBlazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME
Country flag
Gear shift module. I would hope the dealership would check the firmware version of the module to ensure that it's the latest but when I mentioned the TSB, they didn't seem terribly interested given my car was built after it was released. Makes one wonder if I got one sitting at the back of the warehouse shelf though. :p
Sponsored