Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
(It was charging my Focus Electric at the time I took the picture.)
We would have really wondered if you said it was charging your Mach E :D
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
We would have really wondered if you said it was charging your Mach E :D
Don't I wish!! It will eventually...

Well it could have been charging a C-Max Energi, or my current EV the Bolt.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep, I meant auto-detecting the max current for the circuit. Manually setting it is no problem, of course, but I don't know of any way for it to auto-detect.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
My Juicebox can go to a much higher current than the breakers its connected to (almost double). I've had it set for the appropriate level in software and never have the breakers tripped ( :thunk:...what was that noise??)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1597963946586

Here is a "trip curve" for a breaker. So... if you draw 40amps from a 40amp breaker, according to the graph it would trip after 60 seconds. I got 60 from: 40amps/40 breaker = 1, find 1 on the x axis, go up until you hit the "tripping zone", then go left and get the time in seconds. So if you feed it 120amp/40 = 3, you would trip it in about 2 seconds. If you give it 400 amps, it will trip in about .001 seconds (pretty much instantly). Most trip curves don't list anything under 1, as many breakers won't trip in that zone. This one is just less confusing looking than most, and for some reason has an animal in the middle as an added touch (lol).

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Grizzl-E showed up today. Here is the “unboxing”. Only flaw I asked for a black handle and I got white. Not a deal breaker. The cord is 24’. I measured. Well the video kept timing out saying “oops we ran into a problem” after four tries I gave up
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 01F466C6-1FDC-44EB-808D-1F54A6AABA5F

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Grizzl-E showed up today. Here is the “unboxing”. Only flaw I asked for a black handle and I got white. Not a deal breaker. The cord is 24’. I measured. Well the video kept timing out saying “oops we ran into a problem” after four tries I gave up
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 01F466C6-1FDC-44EB-808D-1F54A6AABA5F
That looks amazingly like my old school first generation JuiceBox, which was an open source design. It would not surprise me to find out it was the same basic device.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That looks amazingly like my old school first generation JuiceBox, which was an open source design. It would not surprise me to find out it was the same basic device.
Yeah, I thought it did look like the original Juicebox before they went to a plastic enclosure.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
The Juicebox I have doesn't detect any current: It has a remote and you can increase/decrease the amount of current that it indicates to the car (I think its in 2 amp steps--been a few years since I've adjusted it). It stores the value in non-volitale memory so that it survives power cycles.

If I wanted to I could tell it to report 40 amps to the car and the car would happily start charging at 40 amps..my wiring/breakers aren't setup for 40 amps and thus the breakers would trip (hopefully before anything happens to the wiring since that is their function).

My SPX/Bosch EVSE is also adjustable but not via software: It has some DIP switches for 4 different current levels that it can be set to.

Here is the display on the JuiceBox:
evse4.jpg

Note that it is set for 27 amps: pressing A on the remote increases the current and pressing D on the remote reduces the current. (It was charging my Focus Electric at the time I took the picture.)
Again....video of unboxing And install would be awesome.
Arrived and unboxed. Scheduling electrical install soon.

IMG_20200820_204055.jpg

IMG_20200820_203904.jpg

IMG_20200820_203825.jpg

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Got a quote for installing the 240v outlet. $900. I was hoping for closer to $500 but was kinda figuring it would be more. My panel is tight. This will fill it up, and they have to rearrange a few breakers to get there. Adds extra.

For another $350 they could add a whole home surge protector, which I wanted anyway. I should probably have gotten multiple quotes but these guys are local and well rated (and already here), so I just bit the bullet and let them do it. Working on it now.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Got a quote for installing the 240v outlet. $900. I was hoping for closer to $500 but was kinda figuring it would be more. My panel is tight. This will fill it up, and they have to rearrange a few breakers to get there. Adds extra.

For another $350 they could add a whole home surge protector, which I wanted anyway. I should probably have gotten multiple quotes but these guys are local and well rated (and already here), so I just bit the bullet and let them do it. Working on it now.
As a point of reference, here is what I paid this week for a new 60 A circuit.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1598058696136

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As a point of reference, here is what I paid this week for a new 60 A circuit.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1598058696136
Yeah that's more what I hoped for initially. Things are kinda expensive here, so I figured it world run higher. If my panel weren't so full and they could just drop a breaker in, it would be cheaper too.

Oh well, getting a 30% tax break on it all helps.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Is that labor and materials? How far was the run?
Yes, and maybe 45 feet - up from the panel on one side of the garage, across the attic above the 2 car garage, then down the wall.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, and maybe 45 feet - up from the panel on one side of the garage, across the attic above the 2 car garage, then down the wall.
I’m still awaiting my quote. It is about a 30’ almost straight run from the box in the basement to the spot on the wall in the garage where I want it. Straight across and just up.