mbia

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 xDrive40i & Mach E FE Carbonized Gray
Country flag
Has there been a poll on which chargers people will be opting to buy and install? The Ford charger looks like it will not deliver until late-December or more realistically early January. In addition to the Ford charger, I'm looking at Chargepoint, Juicebox, etc. but still struggling to understand differences/advantages of one over the other. Thought a poll would highlight a leader.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I went with a Juicebox 48 ($639) for fastest charging, but it needs a 60 amp circuit and hard wired. We also have a CMax Energi and a Fusion Energi. Needed a whole new 200 amp electric box (boo!) bc we were maxed with the 100(?) amp supply after a kitchen reno couple years back. Almost added a new box back then but squeaked by and maxed it out. So the electrician bill was a lot higher... $3700. Since we needed to add a new box for any level charger, went with the 60 amp juicebox 48.

Don’t forget to save your receipts and claim the $1000 federal tax credit on your income taxes!

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Has there been a poll on which chargers people will be opting to buy and install? The Ford charger looks like it will not deliver until late-December or more realistically early January. In addition to the Ford charger, I'm looking at Chargepoint, Juicebox, etc. but still struggling to understand differences/advantages of one over the other. Thought a poll would highlight a leader.
I ordered the Grizzl-e because it has a great name, and if you check out the videos on their site, there is one where the CEO drives over the charger with a car and shows it still working afterwards. Maybe others have different criteria on which to base their decision....

Also, its available now, and can draw up to 40A from a standard 14-50 outlet, which is what I wanted. My utility company does not offer any time-of-day pricing, so I don't really see a need for any of the "smart" features that other products offer.

I am hoping the MME itself will have some simple charge settings like stopping charging at 80%, and/or telling it you won't drive again until 7am tomorrow, etc.

mbia

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 xDrive40i & Mach E FE Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I ordered the Grizzl-e because it has a great name, and if you check out the videos on their site, there is one where the CEO drives over the charger with a car and shows it still working afterwards. Maybe others have different criteria on which to base their decision....

Also, its available now, and can draw up to 40A from a standard 14-50 outlet, which is what I wanted. My utility company does not offer any time-of-day pricing, so I don't really see a need for any of the "smart" features that other products offer.

I am hoping the MME itself will have some simple charge settings like stopping charging at 80%, and/or telling it you won't drive again until 7am tomorrow, etc.
Is this the one?
https://grizzl-e.com/product/usa/chargers-usa/grizzl-e-classic-nema-14-50/

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
I just had JuiceBox 40 installed. Consistently high ratings at a good price.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
It definitely has that ability, which is partially why I didn't think I'd need the wifi options available at this time. I saw GrizzlE had an upgrade path planned to add WifI to existing charge units soon, so if my desires change I'm assuming it won't be a huge cost to add that feature.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Yes, that's the one I ordered. Mine will be outside, so I got the premium cable which is better in cold weather. Also, I will be mounting on the side of our house near the driveway and will paint the box the same color as our house.
Since its an outlet and not hard-wired, I could decide to use a different product in a couple of years without requiring an electrician to switch it over.

Lukeh02

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14’ Taurus (21’ Mustang ME)
Country flag
I went with a Juicebox 48 ($639) for fastest charging, but it needs a 60 amp circuit and hard wired. We also have a CMax Energi and a Fusion Energi. Needed a whole new 200 amp electric box (boo!) bc we were maxed with the 100(?) amp supply after a kitchen reno couple years back. Almost added a new box back then but squeaked by and maxed it out. So the electrician bill was a lot higher... $3700. Since we needed to add a new box for any level charger, went with the 60 amp juicebox 48.

Don’t forget to save your receipts and claim the $1000 federal tax credit on your income taxes!

it is 30% off tax credit, up to $1,000.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Is the juicebox 80 for one car or two? 80amps is huge. Will it charge one car at that rate or will you only give one car half that much juice?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Is the juicebox 80 for one car or two? 80amps is huge. Will it charge one car at that rate or will you only give one car half that much juice?
The charge rate is the lessor of what the car can charge at and what the EVSE can provide.

An 80 amp EVSE connected to a car that can only charge at 10kW will charge at 10kW.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
The charge rate is the lessor of what the car can charge at and what the EVSE can provide.

An 80 amp EVSE connected to a car that can only charge at 10kW will charge at 10kW.
So for the mach e that can charge at 150kw it will charge at what rate with a 80 amp charger? Sorry I don’t know the math.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So for the mach e that can charge at 150kw it will charge at what rate with a 80 amp charger? Sorry I don’t know the math.
Nope we're talking Level-2 chargers here not DCFC. Elsewhere in the forums it has been mentioned that the fastest the Mach-E will charge on a Level-2 is around 10kW.

Using DCFC it will charge at 150kW max (it depends on the starting state of the battery, temperature, etc. DCFC stuff is complicated).

Remember EV's have 2 ways to charge:
  • Using AC which is called either Level-1 (120V) or Level-2(240V)
  • Using DC which is called DCFC (or fast charging)

On AC it maxes out inside the Mach-E around 10kW.

On DC it can go as high as 150kW.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It won't charge at 80A AC. Max is 48A. Adds about 31 miles per hour.
Sponsored