hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Seriously, though -- what I'd still like to see:

- part number and cost for the mobile charger that's included with the car
- additional pigtail options for the included mobile charger (e.g. NEMA 14-30)
I have not seen the specific Ford version included with the Mach-E. But this is close from the same vendor Webasto: https://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-dual-120240v-plug-in-ev-charger-p28.aspx

So I would guess it's in the ballpark for price $500-$600.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1596566392550

Lincoln has a mobile cord that already for sale too.
https://accessories.lincoln.com/gfci-integrated-cord.html
Part Number VLC5Z10B706-A

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1596565925033

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I have not seen the specific Ford version included with the Mach-E. But this is close from the same vendor Webasto: https://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-dual-120240v-plug-in-ev-charger-p28.aspx

So I would guess it's in the ballpark for price $500-$600.

Lincoln has a mobile cord that already for sale too.
https://accessories.lincoln.com/gfci-integrated-cord.html
Part Number VLC5Z10B706-A

Wow these are expensive. I was thinking of just using the provided charger with 240 outlet at home and buy and additional charger for travel - but with these prices its best to get a L2 40A ish EVSE charger installed I guess. I suppose these charging cords are specific to the vehicle and cant buy generics unlike an L2 EVSE charger.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Wow these are expensive. I was thinking of just using the provided charger with 240 outlet at home and buy and additional charger for travel - but with these prices its best to get a L2 40A ish EVSE charger installed I guess. I suppose these charging cords are specific to the vehicle and cant buy generics unlike an L2 EVSE charger.
No Level-2 EVSE's are vehicle specific--those above are just branded Ford/Lincoln.

(Neglecting, of course, Tesla)

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing... they all seem more expensive than I would expect for being not a lot more than a heavy-duty extension cord with a specialized plug on the end.

I know it's more that just that, as it has to have the smarts to communicate with the vehicle. And some have extra features like wifi management. But seems like the simple ones should be closer to $200 than $600. I'd never really sat down to seriously price them before. Oh well, not much we can do.

The outlet install is probably gonna cost me $500 or something already, so I'd like to stay under $500 on a basic 32A charger too (that's more than plenty fast enough for an overnight fill-up). I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Siemens US2 VersiCharge ($412 on Amazon). Looks like it was designed in 1958, but oh well, it's just going in the garage anyway.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger s-l400

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing... they all seem more expensive than I would expect for being not a lot more than a heavy-duty extension cord with a specialized plug on the end.

I know it's more that just that, as it has to have the smarts to communicate with the vehicle. And some have extra features like wifi management. But seems like the simple ones should be closer to $200 than $600. I'd never really sat down to seriously price them before. Oh well, not much we can do.

The outlet install is probably gonna cost me $500 or something already, so I'd like to stay under $500 on a basic 32A charger too (that's more than plenty fast enough for an overnight fill-up). I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Siemens US2 VersiCharge ($412 on Amazon). Looks like it was designed in 1958, but oh well, it's just going in the garage anyway.

s-l400.jpg
That Grizzl—E that I mentioned is $419 on Amazon, and looks a bit more compact and better than that thing. That looks like a 1950’s design.
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzl-Level...ild=1&keywords=Grizzl-e&qid=1596581316&sr=8-3

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger s-l400
Yes - will do something similar.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Siemens units are well known for being very reliable, large, and really ugly. I think the latter is part of why you can grab them at more than $100 off retail. Clipper Creeks are competitive with the retail cost of the Siemens but not the deep discounted ones. However, also consider the factory refurbished ones from Clipper Creek at more than $100 off:
https://store.clippercreek.com/used...UvJnPf-dHWBhXJRAHUP8U-BHQh0cxlahoCWlIQAvD_BwE

You'll have to call to see what they have available.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That looks like a 1950’s design.
It really does. (But then, so am I.) ?

But OTOH, I also like that it has a large rounded top to drape the cord over without stressing it. Many of the others have a flat holder with sharp edges, or a narrow one that looks like it could stress the cord over time.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That Grizzl—E that I mentioned is $419 on Amazon, and looks a bit more compact and better than that thing.
That one is tempting too. I might go with it. One plus is that it has a 14-50 plug instead of the 6-50 that the Siemens has. That way if I ever needed to plug in the Ford Mobile Charger (as a backup, or just to test it), I don't need an adapter.

It appears that a small holster is included with that one (at least in the pictures). And it's the 24' cord (20' on the Siemens). I can't go shorter than 20' (we have a large garage and the car sits 12' from the nearest wall). So 24' is a plus.

Hmmm. Maybe I will go with the Grizzl-E. I watched the video and it seemed a little, well, almost like a couple of guys selling stuff out of their garage. I know that's not fair, it just kinda came across that way. Seems like they're new to making EV chargers too so not sure of dependability.

OK, you talking me into it. After looking at that one further, I'm gonna go with it. Thanks for the recommendation!

This review helped too...

https://insideevs.com/reviews/426618/grizzl-e-ev-charger-review/

Last edited:

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
That Grizzl—E that I mentioned is $419 on Amazon, and looks a bit more compact and better than that thing. That looks like a 1950’s design.
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzl-Level...ild=1&keywords=Grizzl-e&qid=1596581316&sr=8-3
I do not trust Amazon for this kind of purchase due to its inventory commingling practice, its FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) program, and its SBA program (sold by Amazon) program.

Grizzl E has its own website. You can buy directly from the manufacturer: https://grizzl-e.com/product-category/usa/. The price is the same: $399, $419, $439 depending on the kind of charging cable.

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium 4X, Focus Electric
Country flag
I bought one of these a few days ago to replace a Bosch (cable bit the dust).

https://www.amazon.com/Electrify-America-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B07T32RMJ2/

Super easy install, good looking, cool LED indicator, pretty cheap ($449.00+free shipping) for 32A - 24.6' cable. Got it in one day. Good thing, since my Bosch was useless.

BTW - the cable seems like TWICE the gauge of the Bosch (which did work great for 6 years on my Focus Electric).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger EA Charger

Last edited:
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do not trust Amazon for this kind of purchase due to its inventory commingling practice, its FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) program, and its SBA program (sold by Amazon) program.
Does that really make any difference to the customer though? Other that maybe delivery time.

I use Amazon a lot because I get 5% back on their credit card, returns are fairly easy, and the purchase is so easy.
Sponsored