Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
So the Grizzl-E needs to be set to 32Amps for a 40 Amp circuit. If you buy directly from Grizzl-E, they have an option to preset the DIP switches to the correct values.
Gotcha, makes sense now.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Product nomenclature usually is misleading and has little to do with actual circuit and rating requirements.
Actually both of those nomenclatures make sense. One uses the number 40 to talk about the charger amperage, the other uses the number 40 to indicate the circuit capacity you need.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Mine showed up today! Now I just need to find an electrician at a fair price.

Oh, and my Mach-e. ?

20200807_154739.jpg
Once you get your electrician you could Turo an EV for a weekend just to drive one around (even a Tesla as long as they have the J1772 adapter).

When I was considering the Bolt I Turo'd one on vacation for a week--that was a real adventure: Travel to a city I wasn't familiar with and rent an EV (granted I'm pretty familiar with EV's but still it was a little risky).

Last edited:
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
FYI - For the Grizzl-E I ordered from Amazon, the manual says the default dip switch setting is 40A (thus requiring a 50A breaker, or more). So unless you order direct from the company website (where there's a place to designate the power you want it set at), it comes set to 40A.

Good to know without cracking open the box unnecessarily.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
I am still trying to get ramped up on all this electric car stuff, so please forgive my ignorance, but just to make sure that I am understanding correctly, we actually have the option to use a different home charging solution than the Ford Connected Charging station that Ford will be offering? What are the benefits to going with one of the alternatives like the ones mentioned above in this thread, as opposed to simply going with the Ford Connected one that we can buy with the Mach E?
For one, you may already have a unit. In my case, I am moving from a Chevy Volt to the Mach-e. I do not need a new unit. The other is that you may be able to get a better price or options you like.
One thing to consider is "what is available in your home?". I live in an older house and only had room for a 30 amps 240 Volt outlet. The ChargePoint home flex mentioned earlier would work in that situation as you can set the maximum amps to 24 (that's how high you can go on a 30 amps fuse). If I move or upgrade the electrical system of the house, I can reset the home flex to what will then be available.
As an interesting aside, the Tesla home charger is like the home flex. It has a dial inside you set up to let it know the maximum amps available.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Mine showed up today! Now I just need to find an electrician at a fair price.

Oh, and my Mach-e. ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 20200807_154739
Please provide a pic after you have it installed.

I was waiting closer to car delivery for mine, but, depending on the timing I may
just get it and borrow my neighbors Tesla to test. I'm getting my bathrooms remodeled and there will be a drywall people on site for that, so may as well just have them patch up after the electrician. More cost effective than to make two trips.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I was waiting closer to car delivery for mine, but, depending on the timing I may
just get it and borrow my neighbors Tesla to test. I'm getting my bathrooms remodeled and there will be a drywall people on site for that, so may as well just have them patch up after the electrician. More cost effective than to make two trips.
Will do. I really don't think I needed a separate charger, TBH. The Ford Mobile Charger would have been fine, as I never expect to need it in the car anywhere but road trips. Just had to remember to throw it in on those. But the 30% tax credit in 2020 made it tempting enough to just go ahead and get. Now the included mobile charger will just permanently stay in the frunk (or under the cargo floor if there's room).

Bdunn

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Explorer XLT, 2018 Ecosport Titanium,
Occupation
Aviation Consultant
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
If you click “buy now” you get a 404 error.
(alternate joke) so it's one for each day I'm going to have needed to get my car from when I put my reservation down?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
There was a bulletin out today that says due to COVID the availability of the connected charge station is delayed until November.
Man, that’s cutting it really close for those of us who hope to get the car this year.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

I think it’s been mentioned on here, but there could be a federal tax rebate for installing a EVSE. May be best to do it before 2021, as that deduction is set to expire.
Sponsored