methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
What I cannot seem to find out is if the "Ford Connected Charger" that Ford is selling can be hard wire or plug. I have not decided which one I want to buy yet . . . I like the Grizzl-E, but I want the option of going with Ford's charger if I decide to go that route.
The Ford charger (not the mobile that comes with the car) is hard-wire only as far as I know. That's the only means of providing more than 40A charging. Only if it had DIP switches or the like to reduce the max power would it be able to have a plug-in option. (Most software based power reductions don't meet UL standards/etc).
Sponsored

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I had already decided I was simply going to install a 14-50 receptacle, in case I ever needed to quickly replace the EVSE, or move/etc. It'll provide more than sufficient charging for my needs as well. I think I've now settled on the Grizzl-E since I don't really want/need it to be "smart".

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had already decided I was simply going to install a 14-50 receptacle, in case I ever needed to quickly replace the EVSE, or move/etc. It'll provide more than sufficient charging for my needs as well. I think I've now settled on the Grizzl-E since I don't really want/need it to be "smart".
That's part of why I decided on going that route too -- I want to be able to plug the included Ford Mobile Charger in too, just to test it occasionally. And so that I have a backup if the Grizzl-E ever fails. I have no need for faster charging than that, so I figured it would be silly not to get one with the same plug (some have a 5-50 plug, or as we've said, no plug (hardwired)).

The Grizzl-E was actually a bonus in that it goes all the way up to 40A. I was only looking for 32A, but hell, for the same price (actually cheaper) it goes up to 40A. Although it will cost a bit more to have a 50A circuit put in rather than a 40A. Heavier wire and more expensive breaker.

40A adds ~26 miles per hour. The 48A adds ~32. Not enough improvement to spend twice as much ($799 vs $412).

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
What I cannot seem to find out is if the "Ford Connected Charger" that Ford is selling can be hard wire or plug. I have not decided which one I want to buy yet . . . I like the Grizzl-E, but I want the option of going with Ford's charger if I decide to go that route.
That one is hard-wired.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
That's part of why I decided on going that route too -- I want to be able to plug the included Ford Mobile Charger in too, just to test it occasionally. And so that I have a backup if the Grizzl-E ever fails. I have no need for faster charging than that, so I figured it would be silly not to get one with the same plug (some have a 5-50 plug, or as we've said, no plug (hardwired)).

The Grizzl-E was actually a bonus in that it goes all the way up to 40A. I was only looking for 32A, but hell, for the same price (actually cheaper) it goes up to 40A. Although it will cost a bit more to have a 50A circuit put in rather than a 40A. Heavier wire and more expensive breaker.

40A adds ~26 miles per hour. The 48A adds ~32. Not enough improvement to spend twice as much ($799 vs $412).
Yea, all the same reasons for me too with the Grizzl-E. Luckily I work for an electrical distributor, so parts will be cheaper. Pretty sure I'm going to install myself, I'm become pretty confident in my electrical work renovating my home and working here.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yea, all the same reasons for me too with the Grizzl-E. Luckily I work for an electrical distributor, so parts will be cheaper. Pretty sure I'm going to install myself, I'm become pretty confident in my electrical work renovating my home and working here.
I'd like to do it myself (I've done a number of 120V runs myself), but I'll just go ahead and pay for this one. I'm less sure of local code requirements on 240V. And on panel load. Even though it's a new house (well, 2014), the builder loaded up the panel pretty heavy with tandem breakers and AFCI's (those are new to me). There's only 2 open spots left, but they're both singles (one each side at the bottom). I assume a single can be moved to the other side to make room for the new double, but I've decided not to bother messing with it myself. Especially getting a 30% tax break off the total cost now.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
First post: From training doc, it indicates that Level 2 Ford Mobile Charger comes standard with vehicle, but requires NEMA 15-50 240V. I was planning on installing 14-50 outlet, for future plug-in charger of my choice. Don't see where any of the plug-ins use 15-50, only 6-50, or 14-50. Am I missing something?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1597258319565

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1597258375014

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1597258416008

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The training doc is wrong. The mobile charger includes two plugs: NEMA 5-15 and 14-50.
Great... and they are quizzing the dealer trainees based on the 54 page document. Hope v2 of the document is already out.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The same training document has the following graphic. Correct image of 14-50, just incorrect text.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1597259988618

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It would be nice if Ford had something official on that. I find media articles that say that, but nothing direct from Ford.
I agree. But the 15-50 isn't even normally available from places like Home Depot because next to no one has that in their home. And it's for three phase power, which is also generally not available in American homes. And we've already seen Ron Heiser saying that the NA MME's AC charger (built into the car) doesn't support 3P power at all.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree. But the 15-50 isn't even normally available from places like Home Depot because next to no one has that in their home. And it's for three phase power, which is also generally not available in American homes. And we've already seen Ron Heiser saying that the NA MME's AC charger (built into the car) doesn't support 3P power at all.
Not worried now, based on feedback. Probably a typo. Just hope dealer parts doesn't start stocking up on 15-50 jacks, plugs, adapters, chargers... :)

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My local utility Detroit Edison (DTE) will give a $500 rebate if I install one of the chargers listed below. I'm thinking about the ChargePoint Home Flex, NEMA 14-50 Plug. It's $699 - $500 DTE rebate = $199 net cost.

So I'll have an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 plug on a 50 amp circuit (#6 copper) so I have some flexibility with installing either the wall unit or mobile charge cord.

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/chargepoint-home-flex/

1596474712401.png
I have the ChargePoint charger and have been very happy with it. I obtained it through a program created by my power utility (Madison Gas & Electric). Under that program, I pay MG&E an extra $20/month for five years. At the end of five years, I own it outright. In the meantime, they take care of any maintenance needed. My total of $1200 in payments covered the cost of the charger and installation Including a new 50A breaker. This was a good deal for me because my installation was complicated given the location of my breaker box (in our finished basement) and the need for a long run of wiring for a long distance through finished walls and ceilings. The estimate I had been given for installation alone was over $2000. MG&E has applied to our notoriously slow Public Service Commission to use the meter built into the ChargePoint to manage time of day charging pricing. Added benefit: I get 1/2 price charging rates at MG&E owned chargers in the area.