John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
So the consensus seems to be that the Ford Charger is only 48 amps without any ability to use a lower amperage circuit, and is ONLY hardwired. Honestly, that seems kind of dumb on their part. I'm going to get my estimate first, see what he says about cost, but I too am leaning toward the Grizzl-E at 40 amps should be more than enough and save the money.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Heavier wire and more expensive breaker.
Just looked at breakers for my Square D panel online with Home Depot, and 40, 50, or 60 dual pole 240 breakers are all the same price. $22.68. Am I missing something?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So the consensus seems to be that the Ford Charger is only 48 amps without any ability to use a lower amperage circuit, and is ONLY hardwired. Honestly, that seems kind of dumb on their part. I'm going to get my estimate first, see what he says about cost, but I too am leaning toward the Grizzl-E at 40 amps should be more than enough and save the money.
The Ford is hard-wired but I recall it may be Software adjustable but you’d have to check.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Just looked at breakers for my Square D panel online with Home Depot, and 40, 50, or 60 dual pole 240 breakers are all the same price. $22.68. Am I missing something?
In California (and states that adopted NEC 2017), "210.8(B) Other than dwelling units: All single-phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less and three-phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 100 amperes or less installed in the following locations shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel."

Take your Square D brand as example, 50 amps GFCI breaker (QO250GFICP) costs $129 on home depot. It is only available for in store pick up (in my area), not available for shipping. 40amps GFCI is unavailable (and I couldn't find it in any reputable online retailer).

So 60 amps will actually be cheaper ($22.68) if you choose to go without GFCI (whereas you don't have a choice for 40, 50 amps assuming you're going to follow the rules.)

The above is wrong, home is a dwelling unit, and that section doesn't apply. 210.8(A) applies to residential units. But 210.8(A) says "Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptables installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (10) shall have ground-fault circuit-interruptor protection for personnel." Therefore, it doesn't apply to 240V outlets.

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
In California (and states that adopted NEC 2017), "All single-phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less and three-phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 100 amperes or less installed in the following locations shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel."

"Following locations" includes garage.

Take your Square D brand as example, 50 amps GFCI breaker (QO250GFICP) costs $129 on home depot. It is only available for in store pick up (in my area), not available for shipping. 40amps GFCI is unavailable (and I couldn't find it in any reputable online retailer).

So 60 amps will actually be cheaper ($22.68) if you choose to go without GFCI (whereas you don't have a choice for 40, 50 amps)
Yup. See that now. None of those are available at my HD or online. I assume GFCI would also be required in Ohio, but I guess I will find out.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yup. See that now. None of those are available at my HD or online. I assume GFCI would also be required in Ohio, but I guess I will find out.
That really confused me too. My panel is an Eaton. The basic double-pole 50A breaker on HD is $11, while the GFCI is $102. Huge difference. I'm guessing a garage outlet requires GFCI in CO but I'm not sure.

Just like working on cars, this was all so much simpler 50 years ago. ?

Got an electrician coming out to give me an estimate next week. I'm afraid my $500 guess (to install one stupid outlet!) is gonna be even more than that. Oh well, I just keep repeating "30% tax break... 30% tax break...".

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well this is interesting. I was just reading through the installation manual for the Grizzl-E. It says do NOT install a GFCI breaker, because the unit has GFCI protection in it. I wonder how that meshes with local code for a garage outlet, since it's not hardwired (i.e. uses an outlet that could be unplugged and something else plugged into)?

Guess I'll see what the electrician says.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 20200812_163250

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Well this is interesting. I was just reading through the installation manual for the Grizzl-E. It says do NOT install a GFCI breaker, because the unit has GFCI protection in it. I wonder how that meshes with local code for a garage outlet, since it's not hardwired (i.e. uses an outlet that could be unplugged and something else plugged into)?

Granted I'm in Michigan and my wiring was done back in 2013 but: My EV plug in the garage doesn't have a GFCI on it. It goes straight from the plug to the breakers.

I walked around with the city inspector when they came for final inspection and he didn't mention a thing about GFCI (it is possible they make an exception because the plug is for an EV). He was actually more interested in the car at the time LOL. "Focus Electric? Don't see many of those?"

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 20200812_163250
It does say you can hardwire.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag

20200812_163250.jpg
My statement about NEC 2017 was wrong. That section I quoted doesn't apply to homes. I edited my original comment.

@JamieGeek @jhalkias @dbsb3233 sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My statement about NEC 2017 was wrong. That section I quoted doesn't apply to homes. I edited my original comment.

@JamieGeek @jhalkias @dbsb3233 sorry for the confusion!
I just have to believe that because of the nature of these devices, and that they can be installed outside, that they have GFIC built in like the Grizzl-E

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It does say you can hardwire.
I don't want to though. I want the outlet so I can also use it to test the Ford Mobile Charger periodically, and use it as backup if necessary.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
So the consensus seems to be that the Ford Charger is only 48 amps without any ability to use a lower amperage circuit, and is ONLY hardwired.
Don't include me in this consensus. I haven't seen an installation manual or any real details. Until I do, I'm thinking it will have an internal dial or dip switches or similar, to configure it to match the circuit. But maybe not. Don't know yet.

Further, Ford says to hardwire. But, if it does have current limiting options built in, and you reduce it to 40A or less, than I see no reason why I couldn't wire it to a plug if I wanted to. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Nope - Amperage rating generally doesn't increase the cost/price of the breaker. If you have any local electrical distributors nearby, you could probably get that breaker and other supplies cheaper than a big box store.

In regards to a GFCI breaker...

I believe you generally are not required to use a GFCI receptacle/breaker for dedicated circuits. Like your washing machine/dryer/etc which should hold true for your EVSE receptacle as well.
Sponsored