Shopping for a Home Charger

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

what use is the Juicebox 80 charger then?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

It's overkill for the Mach-E. Must be a few BEV models out there that charge that fast on AC. Probably a rarity though.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

It might be set up to charge two vehicles at once? I know my juicebox 48 is designed to alter its load if another juicebox is on the same circuit to charge 2 Bev’s, supposedly maximizing charge as necessary to each Bev.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I paid around $3 a foot at Lowe’s for 6 gauge Romex 3 conductor and ground wire.
I paid about $300 for 60' of 6/3 wire, electrical box, 14-50 outlet, and flex metal conduit. I did the job myself to save cash.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It's overkill for the Mach-E. Must be a few BEV models out there that charge that fast on AC. Probably a rarity though.
It's future-proofing. But... I'm not sure it's worth it if that requires a major rework of your electrical panel to accommodate such a high-load device.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Has there been a poll on which chargers people will be opting to buy and install? The Ford charger looks like it will not deliver until late-December or more realistically early January. In addition to the Ford charger, I'm looking at Chargepoint, Juicebox, etc. but still struggling to understand differences/advantages of one over the other. Thought a poll would highlight a leader.
I bought a JuiceBox 40 about a year ago. I like that it is not hardwired and has a 14-50 plug on it. It delivers up to 40A of juice which is more than my current car can use (it tops out at 30A), but I wanted to future-proof a bit.

What I really like about it is:
  • It's very solidly built. I suspect that I could run it over and it would still work. Although it looks like they redesigned the JB 40 since I bought mine.
  • It has a phone app which shows charging history, statistics while charging, and lifetime kWh's used (which is helpful to track month-to-month usage & electric cost)
  • It lets you set time-of-use schedules for when electricity is cheaper in your area and will hold off on charging until those windows are reached

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 22 Escape Hy, 20 Fusion Hy, 20 Escape
Country flag
I went ahead and ordered the ChargePoint Home Flex EVSE with a 14-50 plug and variable 16-50 Amp. It is $699 on Amazon with a $250 rebate possible from Georgia Power and $25 credit for future public charging; that $25 expires 10/15. It was $100 cheaper than Ford and plugs in instead of hardwired. I'm planning to set to 40Amps and see how it goes. I can return until the end of January if something better comes along.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I went ahead and ordered the ChargePoint Home Flex EVSE with a 14-50 plug and variable 16-50 Amp. It is $699 on Amazon with a $250 rebate possible from Georgia Power and $25 credit for future public charging; that $25 expires 10/15. It was $100 cheaper than Ford and plugs in instead of hardwired. I'm planning to set to 40Amps and see how it goes. I can return until the end of January if something better comes along.
Just had my ChargePoint Home Flex installed today with a second meter on a dedicated 50 amp circuit (+ a 20 amp outlet which is the reason for the conduit).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Shopping for a Home Charger 1602692553476

Last edited:

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I paid about $300 for 60' of 6/3 wire, electrical box, 14-50 outlet, and flex metal conduit. I did the job myself to save cash.
I'd probably burn down my house if I tried to do this myself...hence the $1,500 fee to the electrician.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
It think I am going to buy the Juicebox 48. $659 from their website.

Only downside versus the 40 is this one is hardwired in versus a plug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

That's part of why I ended up getting the 40A Grizzl-E ($419), because it has the same 14-50 plug as the included Ford Mobile Charger. I wanted to be able to test it periodically, like before heading out on a road trip. Not that there's much chance it would suddenly stop working, I suppose. I just like the little extra piece of mind to be able to plug it in when needed, and use it as a backup.

40A is overkill for my needs. We're in our 60's and this will probably be our last new car purchase. I don't envision buying a 250 kWh pickup truck or RV anytime in the future that might need more than 40A.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag

This was my choice. Had to get a new electrical panel for anything (was ikr and maxed) so went for the higher circuit.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
do you have to uncoil the whole cord to use or can most of the cord remain coiled? Seems somewhere I saw they said to uncoil do to heat build in the cord during charging. Is that is correct?

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
do you have to uncoil the whole cord to use or can most of the cord remain coiled? Seems somewhere I saw they said to uncoil do to heat build in the cord during charging. Is that is correct?
I only uncoil as much as I need to charge. The cord does get a bit warm while charging but not dangerously so. If it did, they would have used a heavier gauge cable.
Sponsored