Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Gahh I am torn between the Ford connected charger or the 40A juicebox. Or maybe just the 40A Grizzl-E. So undecided
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If I had a 60A space in my panel, I'd just buy the Ford Connected Charge Station and be done with it.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Gahh I am torn between the Ford connected charger or the 40A juicebox. Or maybe just the 40A Grizzl-E. So undecided
For me that was an easy decision. Ford charger is more expensive and doesn't yet exist in the wild. When you factor in the tax credit, Ford's charger is just too expensive. You just need to decide between smart charger (juicebox, chargepoint) or the other kind (Grizzle-E).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Let's unpack this and separate the 2 issues. Will 50% charging ever make the difference? I think likely. Should you spend a ton of money to get there? Probably not. My question is when the cost is the same, why would you choose the slower charging. That is if, and only if the cost is the same.
Sure, charging for an hour while eating dinner would give you 36 miles instead of 24 - but is that really a significant difference? Maybe if you're at 10% or lower and need to run half an hour away, but how often will that be the case. Charging overnight are you really going to see a benefit from the charge finishing 4 hours before you get up versus 1 hour?

WRT cameras, you may think that 30MP, or even 60MP is overkill, there is not a huge market for 20 year old 5MP cameras. I think there aren't all that many that have resolution of less than 20MP.
Right, with a 5 megapixel camera the dot pitch is only acceptable for an uncropped 11x14 print or fullscreen on a 15 inch monitor. A 20 megapixel uncropped image looks great up to 16x24, and even 24x36 is very good at normal viewing distances - far better than most classic film prints. So yes, 30 megapixels is 50% more pixels but at a diminishing return.

So yes adding a 48A charger may not be much more money than a 32A, but again the point is that it limits your options going forward. Say your wife wants to add a hot tub next year? Depending upon what other 240V circuits you have and what your future plans are, you may hit a wall for very little gain.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For me that was an easy decision. Ford charger is more expensive and doesn't yet exist in the wild. When you factor in the tax credit, Ford's charger is just too expensive. You just need to decide between smart charger (juicebox, chargepoint) or the other kind (Grizzle-E).
I like some of the features of the smart chargers like being able to track electrical usage and cost. And if your gonna get a smart connected charger why not get one that communicates with the car to get the most benefit of it being smart. But then aren't most of the smarts in the car anyways so then why not just get a dumb charger?

Round and round

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sure, charging for an hour while eating dinner would give you 36 miles instead of 24 - but is that really a significant difference? Maybe if you're at 10% or lower and need to run half an hour away, but how often will that be the case. Charging overnight are you really going to see a benefit from the charge finishing 4 hours before you get up versus 1 hour?
I've had a couple of those days -- get home sucking electron fumes and need to leave again soon.

So yes adding a 48A charger may not be much more money than a 32A, but again the point is that it limits your options going forward. Say your wife wants to add a hot tub next year? Depending upon what other 240V circuits you have and what your future plans are, you may hit a wall for very little gain.
Find a hot tub with a J1772 port and you're golden ;)

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
The new Juicebox 48 seems like it would do all you need for substantially less than the Ford Connected. I'm not sure what the Ford Connected could do that the Juicebox 48 could not do. It comes with a plug (40A), you can remove it to hardwire for the full 48A.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The new Juicebox 48 seems like it would do all you need for substantially less than the Ford Connected. I'm not sure what the Ford Connected could do that the Juicebox 48 could not do. It comes with a plug (40A), you can remove it to hardwire for the full 48A.
Wait what? It has the ability to be plug (40A) or hardwired (48A)??

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When she outgrows the PHEV and goes full BEV then she will be able to purchase a higher wattage EVSE and already have the circuit in place to hard wire into.
There's also some chargers that have two cords/handles, that can manage the power accordingly whether 1 or 2 EVs is plug in.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
The only thing I saw was an integration with the Fordpass app so you wouldn't need a separate app to manage the charger.. that said, apparently you do need to download a separate app just to get the Ford Charger set up...

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Wait what? It has the ability to be plug (40A) or hardwired (48A)??
I retract that :(, it is only hardwired, that was actually the "ChargePoint Home Flex Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger upto 50 Amp, 240V, Level 2 WiFi Enabled EVSE, UL Listed, Energy Star, NEMA 6-50 Plug or Hardwired, Indoor/Outdoor, 23-Foot Cable", which is $200 less than what my dealer wants for the Ford one. 30% tax discount until the end of the year would be very tempting

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've had a couple of those days -- get home sucking electron fumes and need to leave again soon.
With a car that has half the range than the one you're getting ;)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
With a car that has half the range than the one you're getting ;)
Quite true. However, there have been those forgetful days. Get in the car and start driving and realize the last person to use the car didn't charge it so you're starting the day low.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
apparently you do need to download a separate app just to get the Ford Charger set up...
I already have the Chargepoint app, since that is what I use at work. So no need for an extra app with Chargepoint.