Should I buy an L2 home charger, or just use the Ford one that comes with the car?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It appears to have been renewed in the latest tax bill, although what that includes is still up for debate.
It has requirements for the install location to be in a designated low-income area. Not sure how many people will qualify.
Sponsored

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Love my 48A EVSE - $450 Emporia UL listed hardwired to 60A breakers.

Super reliable - shared with my Lightning and my wife's PHEV (still waiting for our MME to replace)...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Should I buy an L2 home charger, or just use the Ford one that comes with the car? IMG_9107.JPG

Energy tracking on the Emporia app helps a lot!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Should I buy an L2 home charger, or just use the Ford one that comes with the car? Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 6.52.43 AM (1)

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
I decided to get a chargepoint because that was offered with a discount from my Electric company. Otherwise I would have just used the one provide with the Mach e.

And while is showed as being an automatic discount once you registered - I was deigned from the electric company saying I didn't have an account. Been paying them for 38 years so I"m hoping just 10 or so phone calls will clear it up.

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is the convenience of a permanently installed EVSE. Using the Ford provided unit works, but if you go on a trip, you will need to disassemble it, and pack it in the car. I found plugging in and removing the cable was a pain. A lot simpler to buy another unit; Install it at a convenient location; and use it. As you follow this Forum, you will see other threads about installing EVSE's for awkward situations. Like having to extend the charger cable across your car or share with another one. It is easier to accommodate with a permanently installed, often more powerful unit. Do not rush out to buy one unless there is some reason, like a temporary discount or tax credit, requiring a faster decision. You have time to learn from the experiences of others on the Forum before investing in a permanent unit.

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xE HA/Range Rover Sport SVR/Audi A7
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
Electric vehicles are still relatively new and each have some quirks. If you already have the capabilities in place, I'd absolutely buy a reputable charging station so you can fully enjoy your new investment. And, if you encounter unexpected charging issues, you know the quirks are probably from the car instead of trying to troubleshoot both!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Buy a dedicated ChargePoint, JuiceBox, Wallbox, Grizzl-E, etc. The Ford one isn't reliable. Might as well go the full 40A route.

RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
All opinions welcome - all I ask is that you please explain the "why" for your decision. Thanks!
[/QUOTE]
We have used mobile chargers daily as our source for charging for both our evs. We have used the mobile charger that came with our Tesla for 3 years now with no issues. We used the Ford mobile charger for a year before it would suddenly no longer charge. Cable was replaced under warranty and is back in service. Both mobiles charge overnight to 85% as we usually set it, or 100% for trips, based on our settings for charging. We've never needed the mobile charger on the road, but if we were to stay at a B&B we could easily unplug and put it in the car. Also, I get charging info, including kWh, in charging details in fordpass.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have never plugged in the Ford Mobile Charger (FMC) that came with my GT-PE. I already had an L2 EVSE that I installed for my Fusion Energi. My brother’s Fusion Energi and My GT-PE share the use that EVSE now. 😊🐩

That said, there are numerous threads on the forum that indicate the FMC is not reliable long-term(especially in higher temperatures). My personal opinion is that I would get a quality third-party EVSE for daily use and keep the FMC under the cargo floor for occasional on the road use. 😎🐩

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
You’re all wrong.

I’ve had my MachE for over a year and a half. I exclusively use the included Ford mobile charger. I’ve unplugged it and taken it on road trips if I think I might need it but not every road trip. Contrary to another opinion, it’s pretty easy to “unplug” and pack it up, IMHO. I had the amber light this summer but it still always charged overnight and hasn’t failed (Charging right now). If I ever have to go to the dealer for something else, or, it fails, I might try and get a replacement but for now it’s still charging. It’s the $500 to $600 price of the other EVSE’s that turns me off - my utility isn’t offering any money.

Moomin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 civic hybrid - upgrading to MME 4 Premium
Country flag
If I actually received a MME and their charger I could evaluate it. To me, I plan to to an occasional over night trip and may be further away than planned so I want a charger in the car and one hardwired to use the max 48a charge if I ever need to. The constant unplugging at the wall is a typical issue for any unit. I researched and thought the ChargePoint Flex was the best option for me. If I installed an outlet I was required by code to have a gfci breaker and the installers said they constantly get calls back that the keep flipping since the ChargePoint has sn internal gfci. So recommended hardwire. One day I hope I can actually use it. It’s only been since early February.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
Most power company's offer incentives to buy a charger of a certain model or even offer a discounted EVSE. They want customers to buy smart ones so they can communicate with them for power saving in low usage times for throttling and reduced electrical rates during off times to protect the supply. Personally, I'm happy with a dumb one like my Grizzl-E. And am in the process of buying a second one. If you live in a area that the ambient gets below 40F, the car will benefit from being plugged in any time it's not in use. It actually tells you this when you shut it off. A smart charger will not want to provide power in outside of charge times. But a dumb one will. The Mach-E already is the smart part and a smart charger isn't necessary. It will use the needed heating and cooling power for the battery without charging till set charge times. Easily set with Fordpass and/or SNYC4. Also, the mobile charger is not rated as a NEMA 4 for exterior use. Mine are outside on a yard panel. Being an electrician I looked for something with adequate cooling, GFI protection, longevity, and NEMA4. That meant a robust cold weather rated cord and large heat sink. Not found with plastic cases. I also wanted to be sure I could easily obtain any replacement parts. After 19 months of service, I've had one fault with mine from a severe ice storm that was easily resettable.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
1) We are not all wrong
2) we are each of us relating our experiences
3) we have a Cripple Creek EVSE. Five years now. Initially, while I was still working and before the solar was set up correctly, we used the EVSE most of the time for three years. Works fine. No problem, ever.
4) We use the (GM)110 electrical supplier now almost exclusively. Electrons supplied directly from solar production. 95%+ of our energy from solar (we do run the EVSE on occasion to make sure it still works!). EVSE directly from solar is in the future for us. (must double number of panels, etc. We produce more energy than we use right now, but we want to produce more for immediate usage [EVSE]).
Two EVs, one is usually plugged in most of the daylight hours. We alternate vehicles. Obviously, only when both EVs are on the road does the 110 not get used.
5) Use the GM 110 supply equipment only (five years now). No problems here either.
6) Used the Ford 110 supply equipment once. It tripped the breaker in less than a minute. The same breaker the GM supply equipment uses. The Ford supplier is in the trunk.
7) all charging done inside (garage).
8) A reliable EVSE (numerous choices discussed on this forum) is worth it. For those occasions when you require faster charging and for future usage. Assuming when you enter the EV world, you are here to stay.

Have fun driving your MME.

am142j

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD
Country flag
Is there a list or poll of chargers everyone likes? I see the Grizzl E mentioned a lot. I'm having trouble choosing one through my electric provider.

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Should I buy an L2 home charger, or just use the Ford one that comes with the car? IMG_3505

I park outside, (no garage) and thus my charger is outdoors - So I went with the Grizzl-E Classic factory refurbished model. They are $369 USD at their site's shop. Excellent choice. very rugged. Mine is hooked to a 50 amp breaker so I chose the factory-set 40 amp model. These things are built for Canadian winters (much like yours). I also sprung for the $15 outdoor lock -worth it. All in all, I'm very satisfied and the less sturdy (but free) Ford charger stays in the car.