Should I reserve a Mach-E now if I want the car in late 2021?

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Hello all!
Long time reader first time poster.
Couldn’t be more excited for this car but I’m confused by the reports of it nearly being ‘sold out’.
Per the source posted below; “According to reports from the Mach-E forum, Ford now has more than 40,000 reservations for the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E, representing about 83% of the 50,000 unit production capacity for the 2021 model year. ”

I’ve looked at the reservation schedule and understand that people reserving now are hoping to take take delivery winter this year/early next. However, if I want to buy later in 2021 and take delivery then would I be able to?

If they are only building 50K with about 25K in the US, does that mean that if majority of reservation people ended up buying, there wouldn’t be any left for other people to buy until 2022?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/402070/ford-mustang-mach-e-nearly-sold-out/amp/
Sponsored

OP
OP

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TLDR - are my only choices to reserve now and take delivery late 2020/
early 2021 OR take delivery early 2022 ?

(assuming reservations open for next year??)

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
TLDR - are my only choices to reserve now and take delivery late 2020/
early 2021 OR take delivery early 2022 ?

(assuming reservations open for next year??)
Reservations for the 2021 model year seem to be filling up. If you want to take delivery in late 2021 then reserve a GT since those are scheduled to start delivery for spring/mid 2021.

Or because we’re nearing the end of reservations for the 2021 model you may be really far down the list for production sequencing on the other trims so you may have a shot at taking delivery later in 2021. The other reservation holders will be ahead of you for production at this point.

If you don’t put in a reservation you probably won’t get a 2021 model. Otherwise wait until the 2022 model.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for reply. I’m actually looking at premium model and pushing budget for metallic paint and AWD extended range so that is a good suggestion since another push of $1800 would get me there and that battery option comes as standard on GT. But I’m not huge fan of fake mesh grill, prefer infinite blue, and would rather swap the extra 20 miles of range on premium for speed and higher insurance cost.

I don’t expect any significant benefits for waiting for 2022 model (eg better battery tech) so it may make sense to just make a reservation and bow out if it’s too early.
Does anyone know how long we’ll have to turn a reservation into an order though? Since reservations don’t actually reserve a car but the ‘opportunity’ of a car. At what point would they give up your reservation to someone wanting to buy off street?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Does anyone know how long we’ll have to turn a reservation into an order though? Since reservations don’t actually reserve a car but the ‘opportunity’ of a car. At what point would they give up your reservation to someone wanting to buy off street?
Rumor is that ordering for non-GTs will start within a couple months from now. I haven’t heard officially how that process will go. Will Ford ask reservation holders to come in the order of their reservation to place their order or will the order book be open to all non-GT reservation holders at the same time?
My guess is that when Ford contacts you to place your order you’ll have a limited time to do so or surrender your place in line.

I don’t think there will be any units available to buy from a dealer that weren’t reserved. I don’t see Ford making any dealer inventory units for the 2021 model year because of the limited battery capacity and high number of reservations. I think your only shot at getting a vehicle off of a dealer lot is if someone declined to take delivery of their ordered vehicle (I would expect that to be rare).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think your only shot at getting a vehicle off of a dealer lot is if someone declined to take delivery of their ordered vehicle (I would expect that to be rare).
Or a demo car in whatever configuration they have. I concur with those who said if you want a 2021, sign up now. Otherwise you’ll probably be waiting for a 2022.
I’m guessing even a premium ordered this late won’t arrive until after the new year.

OP
OP

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rumor is that ordering for non-GTs will start within a couple months from now. I haven’t heard officially how that process will go.
Hopefully we'll have more details by then, can't imagine people willing to lock in their order configs without real photos of paint finishes/etc. If people bow out of their first edition orders will they open it up again or just utilise those units for test drives/etc?

Anyway, decided to dive in - or more accurately, step on the diving board since it's all refundable. I'll just bow out If they want to deliver it to me too early in 2021. PLUS who knows where we'll be with the 7500 tax credits in 2022. For anyone interested, they are in the low hundreds the 44K mark if it's sequential (been told it is)

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Hello all!
Couldn’t be more excited for this car but I’m confused by the reports of it nearly being ‘sold out’.
Per the source posted below; “According to reports from the Mach-E forum, Ford now has more than 40,000 reservations for the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E, representing about 83% of the 50,000 unit production capacity for the 2021 model year. ”

I’ve looked at the reservation schedule and understand that people reserving now are hoping to take take delivery winter this year/early next. However, if I want to buy later in 2021 and take delivery then would I be able to?

If they are only building 50K with about 25K in the US, does that mean that if majority of reservation people ended up buying, there wouldn’t be any left for other people to buy until 2022?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/402070/ford-mustang-mach-e-nearly-sold-out/amp/
I’m in a similar situation regarding not needing/wanting to take possession of the Mach E I’ve reserved until mid-2021 and am confident in being able to do so. This is a very premium purchase across all trims and I’m confident Ford will make that possible.

I’m also troubled by how much conjecture from within this forum - whether about reservations placed, potential range, etc - ends up bleeding over into more mainstream news sources. And even if it is accurate, nobody collectively knows how many reservations will translate into actual sales once the rubber gets a little closer to hitting the proverbial road.

Frankly, I think Ford’s confidence is low regarding sales - they’ve disincentivized dealers from cutting prices below MSRP and have not offered any solid reservation numbers. Particularly given their battered stock price, it seems like they are ‘playing scared.’

Call me out when/if I’m proven wrong, but I think: the size of the purchase; current economic uncertainties; and the infant state of the EV market will keep Mach Es available throughout 2021 whether you have a reservation already or not.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I’m in a similar situation regarding not needing/wanting to take possession of the Mach E I’ve reserved until mid-2021 and am confident in being able to do so. This is a very premium purchase across all trims and I’m confident Ford will make that possible.

I’m also troubled by how much conjecture from within this forum - whether about reservations placed, potential range, etc - ends up bleeding over into more mainstream news sources. And even if it is accurate, nobody collectively knows how many reservations will translate into actual sales once the rubber gets a little closer to hitting the proverbial road.

Frankly, I think Ford’s confidence is low regarding sales - they’ve disincentivized dealers from cutting prices below MSRP and have not offered any solid reservation numbers. Particularly given their battered stock price, it seems like they are ‘playing scared.’

Call me out when/if I’m proven wrong, but I think: the size of the purchase; current economic uncertainties; and the infant state of the EV market will keep Mach Es available throughout 2021 whether you have a reservation already or not.
I don't agree that there will be a lot of Mach E's available on various dealer lots thru 2021. Limited battery packs, too many have to be shipped to Europe for this to occur. I would not be surprised if the same is true the following model year. Ford will produce more EV's but with the addition of different vehicles such as the F-150, Transit Concept and yes, the Lincoln EV vehicles are also to arrive.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
There might be some flexibility on picking delivery date when you order. In which case, might as well reserve now...

That said, if you want delivery in late 2021 instead of late 2020 or early 2021, you shouldn't have much trouble getting a 2022 model year in late 2021 without a reserve... Might even be September or October of 2021 that 2022 model year will be available.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Hello all!

I'm not sure that would be the case at all. For every reservation holder to take delivery during that time frame, it would mean that Ford would complete all of its promised quota for 2021 (with the exception of the GT) within 2-3 months of the start of production. I don't see that happening. I'd be surprised if someone reserving today would see their car before the middle of next year.

Of course with the bottom falling out of the oil market today, electric & PHEV cars are going to be a much tougher sell. Look for sub $2 gas before long...if some parts of the country aren't already seeing it.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I'm not sure that would be the case at all. For every reservation holder to take delivery during that time frame, it would mean that Ford would complete all of its promised quota for 2021 (with the exception of the GT) within 2-3 months of the start of production. I don't see that happening. I'd be surprised if someone reserving today would see their car before the middle of next year.
You are forgetting about select trim, which isn't expected until 2021 too. but before the GT.

Although reservation numbers are mostly sequential (probably some regional variance from blocks), people are still assuming that they have no gaps. Being in IT, I would not make such assumptions... it's possible, maybe even likely, but is a big assumption.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Look for sub $2 gas before long...if some parts of the country aren't already seeing it.
Only for those in the lucky 48 other states. Think only one more expensive than the republic of California is the Hawaiian islands. We still see $3.50+ here...lucky us huh :mad:

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
You are forgetting about select trim, which isn't expected until 2021 too. but before the GT.

Although reservation numbers are mostly sequential (probably some regional variance from blocks), people are still assuming that they have no gaps. Being in IT, I would not make such assumptions... it's possible, maybe even likely, but is a big assumption.
I think summer of 2021 is a good bet to fill all current orders.
Sponsored