Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
I don't think it's the strip itself, but rather the endcaps at each end of the strip. I'd say the strip is about 3/16" thick.
I'm wondering if the longer length option (70") would solve this - by using the extra slack to move the ends away from where the hood seats? You'd have an extra 5-1/2" on each end to "turn" it into the frunk, moving the thicker clip ends out of where the hood comes down?

OP
OP
rascalif

rascalif

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1970 Mustang Fastback, 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm wondering if the longer length option (70") would solve this - by using the extra slack to move the ends away from where the hood seats? You'd have an extra 5-1/2" on each end to "turn" it into the frunk, moving the thicker clip ends out of where the hood comes down?
I actually considered getting the 70", but I would have had to hide the excess under the rubber moulding on the sides of the trunk, and that would likely cause the same issue. Also the 59" ends almost exactly where the amber light strip starts (see video) so it was a good fit.

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess what I was wondering is if you could get the clips somewhere where they wouldn't interact with the closing of the hood = victory. So that extra length would allow for it to close on just the strip, not the extra width of the clip(s).

I do agree, however, that your 59" install make for the perfect length/look (well, however perfect an aftermarket strip light can look, anyway ;) ) ... so running an extra 11" of strip beyond the "threshold" would probably not look quite as "perfect".

Chris D

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Aston Martin Vantage V8, Mustang Mach-E Premium EX
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
rascalif

rascalif

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I guess what I was wondering is if you could get the clips somewhere where they wouldn't interact with the closing of the hood = victory. So that extra length would allow for it to close on just the strip, not the extra width of the clip(s).

I do agree, however, that your 59" install make for the perfect length/look (well, however perfect an aftermarket strip light can look, anyway ;) ) ... so running an extra 11" of strip beyond the "threshold" would probably not look quite as "perfect".
I wouldn't worry too much about long term damage to the hood, this strip is made of very soft materials so I don't think it would hurt anything.

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess I always worry about the dealer/manufacturer looking for reasons to nullify an actual issue - say there is an issue with the latch down the line, easy to point to the additional resistance introduced by the the light strip etc.

Full disclosure, I've never been a big mod guy -- so in the same school of thought as above, does anyone see any issue in tapping into the headlight power? Not so much the pull (I know it's negligible), moreso that the factory wiring has been altered.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I
Shoot, I should have taken some photos since it required taking out the panels and tub in the frunk. It's really very simple, just clamp a wiretap into the left headlight brown/blue and black/green wires and connect them to the red and black wires of the strip, respectively. The LEDs will light every time your headlights power on.
I think I'll be tying into the DTRL on my premium.
It will look good with them

OP
OP
rascalif

rascalif

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I

Is that the white wire? I did that at first but the LEDs stayed on too long after I turned off the car. Just bugged me to have the unnecessary drain.

Mauser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e GT-PE Space White
Country flag
We’ll I have to say this mod is

AMAZING.
adding it to the spring to-do list. Maybe I can set them to do green on startup then change to white so it’s legal while driving.
Sort of like how the Rivian lights turn green when charging. If you get that figured out, you'll definitely have to post some tutorials.

Dzrhino

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Occupation
Wildlife and Cultural Photographer
Country flag
Could you take a couple of pictures of where it is installed? Can you see it when it is off?

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
I

Bought two kits for our two FE's. What is DTRL? I think I want mine to engage when I walk up to the vehicle like the lights and pony projection do. Is that possible?

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is that the white wire? I did that at first but the LEDs stayed on too long after I turned off the car. Just bugged me to have the unnecessary drain.
I haven't looked yet through the wiring diagram

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bought two kits for our two FE's. What is DTRL? I think I want mine to engage when I walk up to the vehicle like the lights and pony projection do. Is that possible?
The Daytime Running Lights required by Canada
If the headlights aren't on when dark enough the DTRL are always on. I want the hood trim on at the same time
Picture of not my car, but representing the DTRL that's on
Ford Mustang Mach-E Silly LED mod, but I like it... sweeping lights download
Sponsored