DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
The Daytime Running Lights required by Canada
If the headlights aren't on when dark enough the DTRL are always on. I want the hood trim on at the same time
Picture of not my car, but representing the DTRL that's on
download.png
Agree. Would want the hood trim on at the same time as the DTRL. What do we wire to for this?

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Also interested to know if this could be wired to turn on with the DTRLs (not only when the headlights are activated)?

I really love how this looks and agree that I'd want it to do it's thing everytime I turn on the car - just too bad that I'd rarely see it myself, lol.

OP
OP
rascalif

rascalif

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1970 Mustang Fastback, 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Also interested to know if this could be wired to turn on with the DTRLs (not only when the headlights are activated)?

I really love how this looks and agree that I'd want it to do it's thing everytime I turn on the car - just too bad that I'd rarely see it myself, lol.
Yes that would be the white (+) wire, but I chose not to use it because it would stay on 5 minutes after the car had been turned off.

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, got it - you did mention that, I guess I missed that white=DTRLs.

Your concern was pull, correct? I can't imagine that strip pulls much in addition to whatever the car already keeps on, right?

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Ah, got it - you did mention that, I guess I missed that white=DTRLs.

Your concern was pull, correct? I can't imagine that strip pulls much in addition to whatever the car already keeps on, right?
My light strip came in, but I haven't installed it yet. I didn't check was how much it pulled, but I do know that a regular 9v battery lights it up just fine! That's what I used to test that it was working.

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My light strip came in, but I haven't installed it yet. I didn't check was how much it pulled, but I do know that a regular 9v battery lights it up just fine! That's what I used to test that it was working.
Nice! Did you order the shorter or longer one?

When you do install, would love to see how you connect it to the (and which) wire. Once I pull the trigger I'll be sure to document as well.

Thanks and good luck!

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Mine came in
About to do the 9v trick just for fun!

Install this weekend, after a good cleaning of under the hood...
Frunk is a bit frunky!

voerman

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Space White Premium AWD ER MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the strip and have not installed it yet. I am waiting to decide if I want to do a lighted pony install at the same time. I measured the current at various voltages:

12.0V 653ma
12.5V 657ma
13.0V 657ma
13.5V 663ma
13.8V 663ma

The voltage and current measurements were as reported by my variable power supply which seems reasonable but has not been checked for actual accuracy.

Lou

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, mine is installed and working. Here's a couple of tips for those going to do it:

1) The glue/sticky that came with the light strip is of the devil! While trying to peel the red tape off the glue, the glue keeps coming off the light strip. The glue is a clear tacky goop that wants to stick to everything but the light strip!
2) Mount the light strip further forward than you think you should initially. If it's just a bit too far back, the lip of the hood will cover the light strip and you can't see part of the strip from near the car. It's visible from a distance, but not up close.
3) Consider having some other double-sided tape on hand. I'm going to have to relocate it a little and replace some of the sticky parts that I had trouble trying to peel the tape from.

Here's some pics... excuse all the pollen inside the frunk area. It's spring in the south!

I did have to remove the Frunk tub to get access to the left headlight connector. I also lost a couple of the clips from the back cover, so I'll need to order a couple to replace.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Silly LED mod, but I like it... sweeping lights IMG_0440

View of the headlight connector from inside the frunk.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Silly LED mod, but I like it... sweeping lights IMG_0441

Headlight connector pulled out into the frunk space to get to the wires
Ford Mustang Mach-E Silly LED mod, but I like it... sweeping lights IMG_0442

Connectors...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Silly LED mod, but I like it... sweeping lights IMG_0443

Ford Mustang Mach-E Silly LED mod, but I like it... sweeping lights IMG_0444
Ford Mustang Mach-E Silly LED mod, but I like it... sweeping lights IMG_0445

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks so much for the photos!

The red film on the exposed side of the strip is covering adhesive, correct? Has anyone who has done this/is about to do this considered peeling it off and trying to either cover the adhesive with something more permanent than the film/or remove the adhesive altogether?

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks so much for the photos!

The red film on the exposed side of the strip is covering adhesive, correct? Has anyone who has done this/is about to do this considered peeling it off and trying to either cover the adhesive with something more permanent than the film/or remove the adhesive altogether?
Yes, it has the tape on the top and bottom. My plan is to peel it off and use 3m doublesided mounting tape.

steide

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME CO GTPE
Country flag
Any ideas why the white DTRL wire stays energized for 5 minutes? I'm ops testing mounting the strip light to the hood in front of the weatherstripping.

cknasaboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
ISS and Orion Flight Controller
Country flag
Anyone have more finished installation pictures??? I’d love to see what it looks on the car while driving as well (aka in motion)

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Installed!
I totally agree with @dfcliff about putting it more forward than you think.
I'm happy with how it is.
My first time removing the frunk! It was fun!
I installed the "always on" option so it's on with my DTRL. It does stay on for a few minutes, but I'm not worried about a small amount of LED draw.
Heres a video of me walking up to the car and it comes on with the "welcome" lights!