Sink or swim with PaaK. Anyone else besides me doing this?

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
So, I decided to jump in head first and see what happens. I suppose worst case is I call Ford's Roadside Assistance so they can flatbed tow it home. Right? :)

I placed my key fob in the key box at home and haven't seen it for a day and a half now. Feels like I am going Commando a little bit. So far it's been okay. (knock on wood...) You guys will be first to know if I get stranded and can't use my car.

Feels like I am in Vegas and putting all my chips into the center of the table.....

??????
I don’t use the fob at all. Remember, if your phone dies, you can punch in the codes you set to enter and start the vehicle. Both work great.
Sponsored

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Question: What happens if you are using PAAK but need to leave your cellphone in the car, but still want to lock it?

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Question: What happens if you are using PAAK but need to leave your cellphone in the car, but still want to lock it?
You can always turn off the blue tooth. Although, I have tried to turn of the wifi and it keep turning itself back on to connect to the car.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Believe you can do so by pressing 7/8 and 9/0. That said, the glove compartment doesn't lock, so if the car's broken into, the car can essentially be driven off...

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
You can force lock the car two other ways I believe. Operate the interior lock switch on the door just before closing it. Also, touch and hold the 7/8 & 9/0 buttons for a few moments
I started copying and pasting all these good tips into Notes labeled “Troubleshooting MME”. Hope I never need them (especially the screen going black one) but I feel more secure having them at my fingertip. Also feeling more adventurous now and will give it a try —for short distances at first, like a wean of the fob.

Last edited:

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I do find that I have to activate the app sometimes to get it to unload doors. Not the worst thing in the world.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I also am running 100% PAAK. It's been a week and a half now. So far, the only issue is that sometimes If I go somewhere, but don't get far enough away from the car for bluetooth to disconnect, it won't unlock as I approach the vehicle. I think it goes into the mode where it kind of ignores the phone so its not unlocking constantly.

Aside from having to charge my phone a few times a day, its great only having to have my phone with me when I go somewhere.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do find that I have to activate the app sometimes to get it to unload doors. Not the worst thing in the world.
...and, the puddle lights work all the time for me. Don't know if it's because of paak, but many others couldn't get them to work.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
iPhone 12Pro for me
iPhone 7 for my wife.

Haven't needed the fob for anything but setting up the car at first.
One reason I've been hesitant in setting up and using PAAK is because I have an antique iPhone 7-plus.
I guess you're saying that using the 7 hasn't been an issue? Thanks!

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also am running 100% PAAK. It's been a week and a half now. So far, the only issue is that sometimes If I go somewhere, but don't get far enough away from the car for bluetooth to disconnect, it won't unlock as I approach the vehicle. I think it goes into the mode where it kind of ignores the phone so its not unlocking constantly.

Aside from having to charge my phone a few times a day, its great only having to have my phone with me when I go somewhere.
I agree. Just check my phone and it says that the FordPass app is using 27% of my phones battery operating in the back ground. That will definitely have to be addressed.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
You can force lock the car two other ways I believe. Operate the interior lock switch on the door just before closing it. Also, touch and hold the 7/8 & 9/0 buttons for a few moments
Thank you I tried both methods you mentioned and they worked perfectly.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Made 7 trips today. Paak worked fine on the first 6. 7th was too much to bear and it didn't let me in. I had to unlock with FordPass and then use the start passcode.
All the way home....I kept getting a message saying SYNC lost connection to my phone so I presume the bluetooth on my phone was intermittent.

I shut down my phone for about 1/2 hour and then restarted. Works fine again. We will see how tomorrow goes. Fob still tucked away in the drawer.....

:p

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
You can always turn off the blue tooth. Although, I have tried to turn of the wifi and it keep turning itself back on to connect to the car.
I went for a walk today and wanted to leave everything in the car and use the keypad to get in once done, but the car would not stay locked.

I hit the door lock on the inside and closed the door. It locked, mirrors folded then it honked and unlocked.

I didn’t have the key fob, I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and even closed the Ford pass app. It wouldn’t stay locked.

I just ended up taking my phone with me.

There was another phone in the car set up as PAAK, and it stayed locked.

I didn’t turn off WiFi on my phone so I wonder since it was still connected to CarPlay that’s why it didn’t lock?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Decided there are too many compromises with PaaK so I ordered 2 fobs today.
The PaaK system has worked for the most part but it's not elegant. It can be a bit embarrassing at times to walk up to my car and it won't let me in. I think some people at the office are even making side bets if it will work or if I end up pulling out my phone.....or worse, having to punch in the code. :)

Also super annoying to get out to set the alarm or check mail and then get back into the car and my range selector is locked out and the screen says "no key detected". In a running car no less......crazy.

The thing that happened to @ChasingCoral with no cell service is bothersome.

And FordPass kills my phone battery. I would rather not have that running all day long.

And the very unexpected additional reason why PaaK sucks......
I can't let other people drive my car very easily. It's already bitten me in the butt a few times. I was at my daughter's house installing her EVSE and she decided to get some lunch but my car was blocking her driveway. Normally I would just hand her my fob and let her take my car. Can't do that with my phone though......
On a different occasion I was out with my wife and I was getting a haircut while she was shopping next door. She finished first and wanted to put her stuff in the car. That time I was thinking ahead and gave her my phone but she couldn't figure out how to get it to work.
Today I was supposed to pick up some visitors from our head office at the airport but their plane landed early and I was in a meeting. Normally, just hand my keys to my assistant and she could go pick them up. Not happening with PaaK.

It sucks having a vehicle that only I can use. For many people that isn't a problem because they are the only one who drives it but I have always shared my vehicles with others that I trust when it makes sense to do so.

So, when the fobs arrive they are getting programmed and PaaK is going away. Looks like I can turn it off with FordPass app. Then I will try and find a setting to avoid having FordPass always running in the background.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I agree. Just check my phone and it says that the FordPass app is using 27% of my phones battery operating in the back ground. That will definitely have to be addressed.
My iPhone 12Pro indicates FordPass is only using 8% -- fine with me. Of course, maybe if it worked more reliably it would require more.
Sponsored