Sink or swim with PaaK. Anyone else besides me doing this?

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
So, when the fobs arrive they are getting programmed and PaaK is going away. Looks like I can turn it off with FordPass app. Then I will try and find a setting to avoid having FordPass always running in the background.
I use the fob exclusively, no desire to deal with the intermittent failures of PAAK. Don't have a 2nd fob yet, I am keeping the Ford Pass as backup #1, code as backup #2.

I use Fordpass to check charging status/other stuff from time to time, I just open the app when desired and force stop it when finished. A couple of extra steps to stop it, but eliminates all the battery drain while I am not actively using it.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My iPhone 12Pro indicates FordPass is only using 8% -- fine with me. Of course, maybe if it worked more reliably it would require more.
8% of an iPhone battery to maintain a car key for less than a day is nuts.

I've been leaving the key fob at home since Sunday... It seems to be about four times the volume of the Fiesta's slender key fob, which is really odd considering the key blank on the Mustang fob isn't even useful.

So I've been using only PaaK on my Pixel 3a and it's been fine. Not awesome, not as quick or at the ready as a dedicated key fob, but fine.

If I've restarted my phone, I have to relaunch FordPass so that the key service is running in the background. Other apps are able to start their small services at phone startup. This should be easily fixed.

If the screen is off, sometimes the key works, sometimes it doesn't. Not sure what can be done here unless Ford can modify its key protocol to work more consistently while remaining in Android's power management constraints.

If the screen is on, it seems to work reliably... Mostly. Sometimes I have to hit the door button on the b-pillar, wait a beat for it to light up, and then repeat the action. Not very welcoming when it behaves like that.

So I might start carrying the fob, again.

PaaK is one of the features I was excited about... I hope we see it improve.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
2 days PaaK free and loving it! My car opens every time. Starts every time. The rear liftgate opens with my foot........(wait for it.....).......EVERY TIME! :) :) :)

AND........
I have yet to see ONE of those Phone is Not Connected messages since I turned off FordPass. I have not had one dropped call or any of the other weird bells and chimes that sometimes plays from my phone through the car speakers.

I am so happy RKE took me back. I was a fool to let my wandering eye stray and have a fling with PaaK. I think I am going to by my fob some roses and have them delivered while all her friends are watching......

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I only made it a day using PaaK without the fob. When it worked, it worked fine, but it was flakey enough that I’d rather just carry the fob for now. Shortly after I made that decision, I updated my iPhone 12 Mini to iOS 14.4.2. Now PaaK isn’t working at all. In the FordPass app, it says Bluetooth Disconnected. Not sure if it was a direct result of the iOS update or just more PaaK flakiness.

PaaK has potential, but it’s clearly not there yet. I’ll try it again after each OTA update to see if it’s any better, but for now I’m using the fob.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I only made it a day using PaaK without the fob. When it worked, it worked fine, but it was flakey enough that I’d rather just carry the fob for now. Shortly after I made that decision, I updated my iPhone 12 Mini to iOS 14.4.2. Now PaaK isn’t working at all. In the FordPass app, it says Bluetooth Disconnected. Not sure if it was a direct result of the iOS update or just more PaaK flakiness.

PaaK has potential, but it’s clearly not there yet. I’ll try it again after each OTA update to see if it’s any better, but for now I’m using the fob.
That is one of my concerns as well with phone as a key. Historically my cell phones last about 2 years and get updates regularly so functionality changes often. The fob seems to always work as long as the battery is good.

I have three fobs now. One for me. One for my wife and a spare for general use such as when it goes to the dealer or if friends and family want to borrow the car.

I still have PaaK and FordPass installed but I don't use them hardly at all. I turned on FordPass for a few hours yesterday for the first time in weeks.
Sponsored