SM 49810 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Do you notice your IPC buzz?

• Total voters

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
SSM 49810 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - 21 May 2021 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit a buzzing noise from the IPC that changes with the brightness setting. This is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle and replacement of the IPC and/or other parts is not recommended. If compared to like vehicles some variation may be noted and should be considered normal.

END SSM

So this is a big F-U from ford and we're not going to get these replaced. Not surprised. I'm sure they'll fix the problem but then won't warranty any of us older vehicles. Stupid. This is an annoyance for me. I've learned to live with it but I was hoping for a fix.

On second thought I did notice how they have not said DO NOT replace the IPC meaning they will still possibly warranty it, but they don't want to.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Ouch - that is a BIG fail from Ford. Hope the @FordMotorCompany team is watching. You can't say that 'some' cars have it and ALSO say it is 'normal'. That's like saying the rear bumper falls off of 'some' cars but not others and it is 'a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle'.

On the plus side, I think this is going to get BIG feedback (blowback) from those with the problem and Ford will, hopefully, replace the cluster under warranty for them. It would be the only right thing to do.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Honestly, this is the exact response I was expecting from them. Sucks, but not a huge shock.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company

I know you guys are looking at this issue. This issue gives me headaches and I love the car for all other reasons but I don't know how long I'll be able to handle having constant headaches for drives over 40 minutes. I don't want to sell this car but I don't know if I'll be forced to later.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
It would seem that many if not most of the Mach-e exemplars out in the wild have some whine in the instrument panel. Mine does, but I can only hear it when the radio is off and Iā€™m parked.

The people who are complaining about headaches are almost certainly seeing a level of whine MUCH greater than my example, and Ford should consider that they may not have actually observed the problem these owners are complaining about.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ouch - that is a BIG fail from Ford. Hope the @FordMotorCompany team is watching. You can't say that 'some' cars have it and ALSO say it is 'normal'. That's like saying the rear bumper falls off of 'some' cars but not others and it is 'a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle'.

On the plus side, I think this is going to get BIG feedback (blowback) from those with the problem and Ford will, hopefully, replace the cluster under warranty for them. It would be the only right thing to do.
I think thatā€™s being a little dramatic. A very faint electronics hum thatā€™s normally drowned out by road noise or the sound system is definitely several orders of magnitude less of an issue than the bumper falling off of a new car while itā€™s moving.

Racdos

First Name
Rac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium, Audi Q5
Country flag
SSM 49810 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - 21 May 2021 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit a buzzing noise from the IPC that changes with the brightness setting. This is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle and replacement of the IPC and/or other parts is not recommended. If compared to like vehicles some variation may be noted and should be considered normal.

END SSM

So this is a big F-U from ford and we're not going to get these replaced. Not surprised. I'm sure they'll fix the problem but then won't warranty any of us older vehicles. Stupid. This is an annoyance for me. I've learned to live with it but I was hoping for a fix.

On second thought I did notice how they have not said DO NOT replace the IPC meaning they will still possibly warranty it, but they don't want to.
Was hoping for a fix on this as well. Always notice it at least for a few minutes until I get used to it. Very annoying to have to notice this everytime I get in the car.

Hope they change their mind and offer a fix in the future

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
It's annoying, I'll agree, and I can't believe this wasn't noticed by someone in development.
That being said, I've "learned to live with it", but that isn't exactly the case with everyone. @methorian for instance I know has grievances with it.
Here's hoping they change their mind on it-- at least, we know, they have acknowledged that it exists.

cyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select AWD Mach E
Country flag
This is a disappointment on a brand new car - I notice the whine the entire drive and can't listen to things like podcasts or audio books since the voices don't cover the whine even in motion.

I'll still bring it up to the dealer, hopefully FMC changes their mind if there are enough complaints.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
The big problem is that unless they actually fix the root cause of the problem, replacing it isn't a guarantee of a fix (or even an improvement for that matter). If we find out that later production MME's have a hardware revision that removes this then I'd definitely ask for a replacement, but until that point it's something that I have to live with.

FWIW I definitely hear it even with the radio on... some days it's worse than others (and no, I'm not referring to if I stick my ear up to it. I could hear it from a seated position). But the MME that I test drove was HORRIBLE. Couldn't drown it out with music even if I tried.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/high-pitched-electrical-whine.3225/post-118830

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I think thatā€™s being a little dramatic. A very faint electronics hum thatā€™s normally drowned out by road noise or the sound system is definitely several orders of magnitude less of an issue than the bumper falling off of a new car while itā€™s moving.
While I agree that my analogy was a bit extreme I still think it is bad form for Ford to say that the issue with 'some cars' is 'normal'. If it's 'normal', I'd think it would be present in *all* cars. And, if it is, for it to vary to such an extreme degree would, in my opinion, indicate a problem with that module that should be addressed - at least on a case-by-case basis.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
While I agree that my analogy was a bit extreme I still think it is bad form for Ford to say that the issue with 'some cars' is 'normal'. If it's 'normal', I'd think it would be present in *all* cars. And, if it is, for it to vary to such an extreme degree would, in my opinion, indicate a problem with that module that should be addressed - at least on a case-by-case basis.
Yeah, I'm probably taking delivery of my MME in late July or early August (best guess), and the instrument panel whine is going to be the first thing I listen for. It will probably make or break acceptance, unfortunately.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Do all builds have this issue or mainly early ones?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Iā€™m going to go off the deep end and speculate here. Itā€™s likely an issue with the type of backlighting used in the LCD panels and how the brightness of that backlighting is adjusted (and hence the brightness of the display). For example, if the displays are using older CFL backlighting technology, there well could be a small transformer involved in the backlighting circuit. Varying voltage (duty cycle? Iā€™m not sure - this is out of my field) would definitely cause transformer ā€œhumā€. You can also sometimes hear a ā€œā€humā€ from some fluorescent lights in offices.
About all Ford could do would be to switch to a different technology for backlighting, which may have issues such as cost or durability (these displays have to last for many years and have to be highly visible in a lot of lighting conditions).
Iā€™m not trying to be an apologist here - Iā€™m just speculating on what may be going on and why Ford May reasonably be saying itā€™s ā€œexpected behaviorā€ (or however it was worded).

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I don't know how many of you are PC gamers, but this reminds me of coil whine, something you hear on only some graphics cards. The loudness/pitch changes depending on what the card is rendering at the moment. This is also considered normal, even though only a minority of the products have it. And it's not covered by warranty iirc.
Sponsored