SM 49810 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Do you notice your IPC buzz?

• Total voters

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Is it a mechanical dimmer?
I had this in my house. A more powerful or electronic dimmer switch shall do the job.
Sponsored

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Yeah, sorry, I haven’t read through you full post. Looks like you tried pretty many things.
Its off this topic, but I suggest an electrically induced noise. There is no direct translation in English, in Russian we call it “наводка”.
It may help to:
1) Decouple power and grounds of lighting and audio systems.
2) Use shielded audio cables.
3) Put audio cables at a distance from lighting cables.
4) Shield the audio source and amplifier. Basically put them to a metal box.

You need a descent electronics engineer with an oscilloscope.
Sorry if you already had these ideas. :)

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I have chatted with Ford engineers working on Mach E. I'm not going to explain how or who.

They're well aware of the noise from instrument panel (because they said it's well known and they asked me whether the noise changes when I change the brightness of instrument panel cluster display, as soon as I mentioned it.) They told me they've addressed the issue for job 2. The fix to my Mach E would be to replace the display, and it will be available in Q4. I was so happy to hear it that I forgot to ask about the logistics of the fix or whether it will be covered under warranty.

Separately, I've also been told that the fix to the bluetooth modules, related to PaaK, will be available through OTA later this year, probably around July/August.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have chatted with Ford engineers working on Mach E. I'm not going to explain how or who.

They're well aware of the noise from instrument panel (because they said it's well known and they asked me whether the noise changes when I change the brightness of instrument panel cluster display, as soon as I mentioned it.) They told me they've addressed the issue for job 2. The fix to my Mach E would be to replace the display, and it will be available in Q4. I was so happy to hear it that I forgot to ask about the logistics of the fix or whether it will be covered under warranty.

Separately, I've also been told that the fix to the bluetooth modules, related to PaaK, will be available through OTA later this year, probably around July/August.
I really REALLY hope you're correct here.

I haven't really jumped into the discussion much after my initial thread on it blew up, but I'd be VERY happy if they do end up with replacement units with no whine. It's still my number 1 complaint.

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting; 2021 Mach E GT;2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
They told me they've addressed the issue for job 2.

As someone above said, hope this right. Awesome news and thanks so much for sharing secret inside communicators.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in this forum but what is "job 2" defined as? I thought "Quality was Job 1"? ?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

That’s great news, I hope so!

I’m guessing they had no insight about how they will inform people or if they will charge for it? My guess either way will be that they won’t want to publicize it and it will be like a hidden menu item for those who know to ask for it…

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
My Panasonic Plasma TV buzzes when it's on and so did the Samsung Plasma I had. Not sure how you make a blanket statement that it's not normal. Some people have more sensitive hearing to those frequencies like me as well.
LCD (like the screens in the mach-e) and Plasma are completely different display technologies.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
@RyZt - ZOMG that is awesome news. Just having confirmation that Ford (1) knows of the issue and (2) has fixed it for a future build, is a BIG STEP.

Now, the next questions are (1) what is “job 2” and (2) will Ford warranty replace our buzzy screens?

Hopefully the “job 2” screens are compatible replacements for our screens. Probably but not for sure. Job 2 could be referencing a future redesign but sure hope not.

If the new screens are indeed compatible, I bet we can eventually get a warranty replacement.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I’m guessing they had no insight about how they will inform people or if they will charge for it?
True. Those are engineering people, not business or marketing.

My guess either way will be that they won’t want to publicize it and it will be like a hidden menu item for those who know to ask for it…
That would be good enough for me.
Now, the next questions are (1) what is “job 2” and (2) ...?

Hopefully the “job 2” screens are compatible replacements for our screens. Probably but not for sure. Job 2 could be referencing a future redesign but sure hope not.
I don't know what job 2 means. But they did say I'll be able to get the display in my Mach E fixed in Q4. So my best guess is that job 2 means model year 2022 considering "Q4".

Now, the next questions are (1) ... and (2) will Ford warranty replace our buzzy screens?

If the new screens are indeed compatible, I bet we can eventually get a warranty replacement.
I hope that's true. I didn't ask. And @ARK made a good point that I may not get anywhere even if I asked.

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
LCD (like the screens in the mach-e) and Plasma are completely different display technologies.
So? You don't even know what's causing it or why. Everyone with OCD complains about TV buzzing as well. You can look up LCD or OLED TV buzzing and find hundreds of posts about it.

Last edited:

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag

Nice - this would be great if its actually happens! Then can drive with some peace & quiet! haha

Did they happen to mention anything about the extremely slow phone charging speed with the wireless charger? Would be nice to actually place it down, get a charge, and not run out of battery while using Android auto! I have been plugging my phone in, which is annoying!

Last edited:

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I took my car to the dealership for the PAAK recall and also asked about this. They gave me a paper saying it is normal (SM 49810).

I called customer service to escalate the issue, this noise is far from normal, I can hear it when I'm taking calls from my car

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I took my car to the dealership for the PAAK recall and also asked about this. They gave me a paper saying it is normal (SM 49810).

I called customer service to escalate the issue, this noise is far from normal, I can hear it when I'm taking calls from my car
Godspeed.
Sponsored

Reactions: Nav