SM 49810 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Do you notice your IPC buzz?

• Total voters

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
the left curved corner is way high leaving a big gap at the top
It's the gap I couldn't fix in the design, just fix it with the tape.
If the acrylic can't fit in the cover - cut it a little, its a soft material.
Sorry, the whole cover thing is not a commercial product, its a DIY stuff.
Sponsored

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Did a quick screen recording which shows the frequencies at which the IPC is noisy. At 01:05 in the video you can see what happens when it turns off. Prior to that I step through the various dimming levels.

Fun fact: noise is from 1800Hz which is right where a lot of people drop off if their hearing...

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
I've seen comments that even some GTs have the IPC buzz. Is there anyone with a late August build date (GT or GT PE) who can comment on whether their vehicle has the IPC buzz? This item is going to be a deal breaker for me if my GTPE has it and I can hear it. Thanks!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I've seen comments that even some GTs have the IPC buzz. Is there anyone with a late August build date (GT or GT PE) who can comment on whether their vehicle has the IPC buzz? This item is going to be a deal breaker for me if my GTPE has it and I can hear it. Thanks!
Not sure it matters what anyone else can or can't hear on their GT... From what you stated, it only matters if you hear buzzing on your ordered vehicle.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yes it's there, but it isn't as bad as my FE. It doesn't bother me in this car. The ONLY time I notice it is if it is absolutely silent, and I'm sitting in the car with it in park. Even the pedestrian noise is louder.

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
Yes it's there, but it isn't as bad as my FE. It doesn't bother me in this car. The ONLY time I notice it is if it is absolutely silent, and I'm sitting in the car with it in park. Even the pedestrian noise is louder.
That's good news! Thanks.

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
Not sure it matters what anyone else can or can't hear on their GT... From what you stated, it only matters if you hear buzzing on your ordered vehicle.
Yes, absolutely. I have read several threads on this topic, with some folks saying Job 2 would have an improvement, and then others saying it's maybe or maybe not better, etc.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford Norway has informed my dealer that they are working on a software fix to reduce the noise.
Sounds far fetched, but it could be a voltage regulation controlled by software.
If they succeed and if the noise is sufficiently reduced remains to be seen.

Reactions: ARK

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
No buzz in my July built GT.

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
Ford Norway has informed my dealer that they are working on a software fix to reduce the noise.
Sounds far fetched, but it could be a voltage regulation controlled by software.
If they succeed and if the noise is sufficiently reduced remains to be seen.
I agree with you that such a fix sounds far-fetched. It seems like they are running the PWM for the backlight driver or the dimming at an audible frequency. Although, if it's just the dimming frequency, I can see how they might be able to change that through an update to the processor that's sending the PWM signal-- but typically, these backlight drivers can't take a very high (20kHz+) signal for dimming. It'd probably be better if they reduced it dramatically, to, say, 400Hz, which wouldn't be a piercing noise, but would instead be more of a hum.

Anyway, I'm pleased to see that some recent builds do not have the noise concern. I have sensitive ears and I'm certain this would be a problem for me if it's obvious in the vehicle. Even the motor drive whine in some EVs gives me headaches (Tesla Model 3: yes. 2nd gen Volt: yes. BMW i3: no).

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For those without buzz, have you ever heard on other units?
Android app specdroid can visualize it.
And I agree, if they can lower the frequency it will be drowned by natural noise. It's currently placed from 2kHz where there isn't much else.

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
For those without buzz, have you ever heard on other units?
Android app specdroid can visualize it.
And I agree, if they can lower the frequency it will be drowned by natural noise. It's currently placed from 2kHz where there isn't much else.
That's right around the peak of human ear sensitivity since human voices are in that range. It's the worst possible frequency! The PWM must be exciting a physical resonance in some component, and that's what we are hearing.

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
The buzz I heard was not electronic. It was a buzz coming from the screen area and seemed to be temperature sensitive. Now that it's cool weather the buzz was more constant. I found putting pressure on the passenger side of the screen eliminated the buzzing sound. Sooo, I took a small piece of a plastic Chinese takeout container with the raised area for the lid attachment and wedged it behind the screen with the raised area in the space. This allows for pressure, yet will also allows for temperature variation.

Sad to have to do this on an expensive vehicle. I know Ford as a Rattle, Squeak and Buzz department. Hopefully they have corrected this going forward.
Sponsored