First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Diverge gravel bike
Country flag
According to this video (starting at the timestamp of interest):

it is tricky getting a rear dash cam wire from the car into the liftgate. Best option is the cable channel boot depicted, but the author says he would need a special tool to remove it. So he went through the washer fluid grommet, and thought he might need to put silicone on it.

In contrast, this person seemed to get it through the boot by hand (again right at the timestamp of interest):

How have others gone about this?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I used a piece of 10AWG as a snake. I popped the body side of the rubber conduit out of the car (4 clips molded into the end of the conduit) and threaded it through, taped the dash cam wire to it, pulled it through, then popped the body end of the conduit back onto the car. Easy-peasy. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
For me the hardest part was figuring out how to get the boot off. I ended up pulling off the black outer cover so I could see how to release the inner clips. I couldn't figure out where to squeeze or put a screwdriver to release the clips until the outer cover was removed.

I just had to make sure to put it back together before clicking it back to the car.

The actual fishing was easy. I used a metal clothes hanger bent into the shape I thought most appropriate.

OP
OP
atacama

atacama

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
According to this video (starting at the timestamp of interest):

it is tricky getting a rear dash cam wire from the car into the liftgate. Best option is the cable channel boot depicted, but the author says he would need a special tool to remove it. So he went through the washer fluid grommet, and thought he might need to put silicone on it.

In contrast, this person seemed to get it through the boot by hand (again right at the timestamp of interest):

How have others gone about this?
Best thread about Dashcam installation. A lot of information with pics and clarifications. I followed this thread when installed Dashcam in my GT. Good luck!

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...hardwiring-a-dashcam-and-radar-detector.5542/

OP
OP
atacama

atacama

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ORG

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium, 2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Country flag
I was able to go through the boot channel and replace it without a special tool. It just takes some patience to get the boot sealed around the inner plastic adapter and back into place. Because of the angle, the adapter on the gate is easier to get back in.

To guide the cable through, I used a wire hanger and looped the leading end. This helps to hang on to any cable youā€™re trying to guide through, and also removes any sharp edge that might poke a hole in the rubber. Just be gentle and donā€™t use excessive force and itā€™ll eventually go through.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I skipped the boot and just looped the cable from the headliner to the glass. Wasnā€™t worth the hassle to me after dealing with the Bpillar for way too long. You donā€™t notice it really.