So….. 100 miles from home…. How screwed am I?

OP
OP
atomdeathstroke

atomdeathstroke

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mache E Premium
Occupation
I make stickers
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your failure, I'm glad you were able to safely make it to the dealership! Just curious, do you have the standard range battery or the extended range?
Extended premium.
Sponsored

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Maybe maybe not.

All I know is pre-recall in a year, the failure rate was super low.

Post recall, in just a month, the failure rate is super high.
Again, for me, personally, it's much better to get a false positive of future failure, schedule an appointment with a service that I know and trust (hopefully), and maybe even keep driving the car, or at least come home from a trip.

It's the same as "Check engine" warning in ICE cars - go to the dealer and let them fix it, without towing the stalled car at the worse possible time.

jeffvick2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 TSX, 2017 Civic, MACHE GT grabber blue
Occupation
CPA
Country flag
Couple thoughts:

Perhaps next step?: I guess we really would next like to hear Ford announce that all effected cars now will have an extended warranty for HVBJB failure to replace it and associated parts/labor whenever that happens in the future.

Side effects of this disaster?: One might hope that more infrastructure will come sooner for distributing OTAs to a greater number of vehicles (since that saves Ford from paying dealerships) AND perhaps more dealerships will get equipment, e.g. lift with battery sled, and training knowledge/skills to work on the electric vehicles and their batteries sooner.

I can see from Ford's perspective they would prefer to just replace the HVBJB on cars when they fail. It spreads out the timeline and prioritizes cars that need it most. It also keeps this from being a public relations disaster and saves a ton of money. Latest info suggests for GM to replace all the batteries in the 100,000+ Bolts will take 4-5 more years (but the public thinks that is already over) so 40,000 Mach-Es might take 2-3 years? If soon(?) it could become possible to get an immediate prompt/professional HVBJB replacement at most dealerships and fully covered by warranty that would be reassuring. I imagine Ford hopes many of the potentially effected HVBJB parts do not fail, ever, and were within specs due to the variation part to part, and/or variation of owner's who drive like grandma and never DCFC charge?
We know that existing cars (manufactured before XX/2022?) have a potential faulty HVBJB part. I wonder if they are still manufacturing MY22 cars with the same faulty part, have already fixed it - maybe at the time of the software update - or won't correct until MY23? It seems prevalent enough that they would fix the hardware for new vehicles being manufactured as soon as possible, or do they close their eyes and hope for the best.

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
When my car bricked itself because of the HVBJB (pre software update), I was parked, but I was in a deserted strip mall. There weren't any open businesses within a 5-10 minute walk of me according to Google maps. I waited 2 hours in 100 degree heat for a tow. Luckily I had water and there was shade. I had my 2 elementary aged kids with me - fortunately I was able to call someone to pick them up so they didn't have to spend the whole time with me. I would vastly prefer being able to get a warning and drive my car to the dealer than not be able to drive it at all. Especially since reports say it's drivable at normal speeds. But that's just me.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
We know that existing cars (manufactured before XX/2022?) have a potential faulty HVBJB part. I wonder if they are still manufacturing MY22 cars with the same faulty part, have already fixed it - maybe at the time of the software update - or won't correct until MY23? It seems prevalent enough that they would fix the hardware for new vehicles being manufactured as soon as possible, or do they close their eyes and hope for the best.
Ford claims and others found evidence to support that a new HVBJB Part has been installed in all Mach-Es built in Mexico starting May 26, 2022.

Those built in China never had the faulty part.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When my car bricked itself because of the HVBJB (pre software update), I was parked, but I was in a deserted strip mall. There weren't any open businesses within a 5-10 minute walk of me according to Google maps. I waited 2 hours in 100 degree heat for a tow. Luckily I had water and there was shade. I had my 2 elementary aged kids with me - fortunately I was able to call someone to pick them up so they didn't have to spend the whole time with me. I would vastly prefer being able to get a warning and drive my car to the dealer than not be able to drive it at all. Especially since reports say it's drivable at normal speeds. But that's just me.
That sucks! Folks, this is why you want the recall update done at your dealer NOW, especially if you drive with kids in the car!

I personally would not drive around kids in hot weather until I had the updates done.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I still am pretty angry that Ford isn't just fixing our cars by putting in a part without defects.

But I'm very glad I had the recall software on my car when it failed on a road trip with my 4 and 7 year olds in the car. I would be even more pissed off if I was bricked and stranded and needed a tow when I stopped to charge at an EA station in the middle of nowhere with my family in the car.

This all comes down to your risk tolerance -- and mine is lower with my family in the car than it would be if I was driving solo.

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I still am pretty angry that Ford isn't just fixing our cars by putting in a part without defects.

But I'm very glad I had the recall software on my car when it failed on a road trip with my 4 and 7 year olds in the car. I would be even more pissed off if I was bricked and stranded and needed a tow when I stopped to charge at an EA station in the middle of nowhere with my family in the car.

This all comes down to your risk tolerance -- and mine is lower with my family in the car than it would be if I was driving solo.
I thought I'd be fine since it was a 15-20 minute drive from my home (depending on traffic), no highways, typical suburban streets, and I rarely fast charge or floor the car. (How did ford phrase it? Multiple Wide open throttle events? Lol) I think it was the heat that did my car in, though plenty of people live in places where 100 F plus heat is common instead of unusual.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Again, for me, personally, it's much better to get a false positive of future failure, schedule an appointment with a service that I know and trust (hopefully), and maybe even keep driving the car, or at least come home from a trip.

It's the same as "Check engine" warning in ICE cars - go to the dealer and let them fix it, without towing the stalled car at the worse possible time.
Again, maybe maybe not.

Some people here have had multiple failures……. Even after having Ford “fix” it.

I’m not sure I trust the fix yet.

They do have a history of putting bandaids on bullet holes. Taylor Swift even knows that doesn’t work.
Ford Mustang Mach-E So….. 100 miles from home…. How screwed am I? B13BCD80-0CB9-4934-94EA-D69546B47D8E

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I thought I'd be fine since it was a 15-20 minute drive from my home (depending on traffic), no highways, typical suburban streets, and I rarely fast charge or floor the car. (How did ford phrase it? Multiple Wide open throttle events? Lol) I think it was the heat that did my car in, though plenty of people live in places where 100 F plus heat is common instead of unusual.
I think it's impossible to predict the state of your contactors from your driving behavior. These parts clearly weren't spec'd properly for the loads they would be asked to handle, but it's obviously a combination of driver behavior cumulatively, as well as environmental conditions and part variability in the whole system.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Again, maybe maybe not.

Some people here have had multiple failures……. Even after having Ford “fix” it.

I’m not sure I trust the fix yet.

They do have a history of putting bandaids on bullet holes. Taylor Swift even knows that doesn’t work.
Ford Mustang Mach-E So….. 100 miles from home…. How screwed am I? B13BCD80-0CB9-4934-94EA-D69546B47D8E
We haven't seen anyone have a failure yet with the redesigned part. I've not altered my style of driving and put about 900 miles on the new part (including a 500+ mile road trip), so I call that a pretty strong bandaid so far.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
We haven't seen anyone have a failure yet with the redesigned part. I've not altered my style of driving and put about 900 miles on the new part (including a 500+ mile road trip), so I call that a pretty strong bandaid so far.
IMO ^^^ THIS is the greatest concern for Ford, if cars built with the *new* part at some point begin failing, then shit gets bad-er. Same thing happened to GM when Bolts with batteries made in Holland MI started catching fire, up till then was just those from LG’s Korean factory and they thought they had “contained” the issue.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Knowing @Mach1E, I think he's talking about the software being a bandaid, not the new, revised part.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
More cars getting higher in overall mileage over time, all continuing to damage the HVBJB ... Why are people surprised we're getting more reports of this now? Time on road is a clear factor here.
Can you show a source for that? Haven't seen that yet.
Sponsored