Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
We have a Star White AWD ER Platinum on order that is supposed to have build week on 2/28......if it is not delayed for the third time. I was browsing on line and saw our dealer had three Mach-E's on site. Rather peeved as they had promised to call me when they got a demo. But....dealers....anyway, called and set up a test drive. Their demo is a Grey RWD ER Platinum. We arrived in pouring rain...figures...but was able to look car over good under cover and take for a test drive. The dealer (Mall of Georgia Ford in Buford, Georgia) has a grey first Edition for sale and a white and red coming in next week that were for people that canceled if anyone looking to purchase with no order.

These are my impressions. I have owned a 2018 Bolt and presently have a 2019 Leaf SL Plus.

Size: The car does not look any larger from the outside than our Leaf. It sits a little higher and hood is longer but just looks the same. Those looks can be deceiving as the inside of the Mach E is very spacious feeling. Plenty of leg room for driver and passengers. I am 6'2" and my knees are nowhere near the display pad. The Frunk is much smaller in person than in photos. I don't know how they think a kid could get locked in there. There is a nice glow in the dark release handle if some contortionist did manage to lock themselves in. With the rubber seal that goes around the frunk they would suffocate pretty quick.

Comfort: Seats are a big improvement over the Leaf's "Zero Gravity Seats". Active X has a nice soft feel and seats very comfortable but I agree with others that they could use a little bigger bolsters. Overall very nice though. Driving position and location of controls very nice....except putting that max defrost down by your left knee was a engineering blunder by someone. I have never had a car where the ventilation controls were down by your knee like that. I think it was an after thought by someone in engineering. The glass roof gives lots of headroom front and back. Really wish that you could raise the front of the seat separately to take pressure off your lower back. Also, even though there are memory setting for drivers, having to manually raise, lower, extend, retract the steering wheel is an annoyance. This should be automatic and electric.

Fit & Finish. Excellent. I did not see any issues at all. All doors and joints were even and well spaced. I did not see any damage to the bottom of frame from shipping hooks.

Electronics: Again, well designed and laid out...except the afore mentioned max defrost button. The screen was responsive and easy to read even in the light mode. Temperature slider controls were also very responsive. I listened and did not hear any electronic whine from the drivers display that has been mentioned before. Love the folding mirrors. Of note, you cannot shift the gear switch unless firmly pressing on brake. You also cannot put it in reverse while the car is moving forward. (I tried at low speed). Parking brake released automatically with brake pedal pressed and shift knob turned. I did not get a chance to try out the navigation or lane keeping modes.

Performance: The RWD ER had plenty of power. Enough my wife gave a oh SH!t when I floored it. Looking forward to our AWD model and even more power. The demo had 60 miles on it so was not able to get a good idea of miles/kwh especially when people like me flooring it in unbridled mode. I was VERY disappointed in the regen/one pedal driving. The Chevy Bolt was so good at that. The Mach E is about the same level of regen as our Leaf. Yes I know the car is heavier than the Leaf but I was still not impressed. I love one pedal driving around the mountains where I live and was hoping for much more impressive regen. Over all the handling was very pleasant with good feedback to the driver through the steering. Car took bumps (and railroad tracks) very well. When I drove for about a mile in Whisper mode it the steering did feel rather mushy though. The whisper mode felt about the same as the Eco mode on our leaf.

Although I was not really surprised, the salesperson who took us for a ride really did not know that much about the car. I went right into the various settings on the computer display to play with them while he just watched and I explained what they did.

So: Overall I like the car very very much. I don't think that the black trim around wheel wells and bottom of car looks very well with darker colors like the grey that we drove. I really like the way it looks on the white and Rapid Red however. There is one thing I really like better about the Nissan Leaf and that is having the charging ports on the front of the car. That is the most logical place to have them as when you pull up to a charger. IMO the car will look best in white, red, and infinite blue....just my thoughts. People younger than me will beg to differ I am sure. I would love to see the GT in orange or yellow.

Maybe in six weeks ours will be here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
There is one thing I really like better about the Nissan Leaf and that is having the charging ports on the front of the car. That is the most logical place to have them as when you pull up to a charger.
I’ll disagree in part with your assessment on the charging port placement. I’ve charged the Leaf several times at EA stations and find it challenging to get the heavy duty cord stretched around to the front. It also seems to put a lot of strain on the charging port. While the front is great for some chargers, for EA I think For got it right. I’ll bet the arrangement Ford has with EA has something to do with this.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’ll disagree in part with your assessment on the charging port placement. I’ve charged the Leaf several times at EA stations and find it challenging to get the heavy duty cord stretched around to the front. It also seems to put a lot of strain on the charging port. While the front is great for some chargers, for EA I think For got it right. I’ll bet the arrangement Ford has with EA has something to do with this.
We have mostly EVgo and Georgia Power Chargers in my area and they are always at the front of the car when you pull...thus my remarks.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
We have a Star White AWD ER Platinum on order that is supposed to have build week on 2/28......if it is not delayed for the third time. I was browsing on line and saw our dealer had three Mach-E's on site. Rather peeved as they had promised to call me when they got a demo. But....dealers....anyway, called and set up a test drive. Their demo is a Grey RWD ER Platinum. We arrived in pouring rain...figures...but was able to look car over good under cover and take for a test drive. The dealer (Mall of Georgia Ford in Buford, Georgia) has a grey first Edition for sale and a white and red coming in next week that were for people that canceled if anyone looking to purchase with no order.

These are my impressions. I have owned a 2018 Bolt and presently have a 2019 Leaf SL Plus.

Size: The car does not look any larger from the outside than our Leaf. It sits a little higher and hood is longer but just looks the same. Those looks can be deceiving as the inside of the Mach E is very spacious feeling. Plenty of leg room for driver and passengers. I am 6'2" and my knees are nowhere near the display pad. The Frunk is much smaller in person than in photos. I don't know how they think a kid could get locked in there. There is a nice glow in the dark release handle if some contortionist did manage to lock themselves in. With the rubber seal that goes around the frunk they would suffocate pretty quick.

Comfort: Seats are a big improvement over the Leaf's "Zero Gravity Seats". Active X has a nice soft feel and seats very comfortable but I agree with others that they could use a little bigger bolsters. Overall very nice though. Driving position and location of controls very nice....except putting that max defrost down by your left knee was a engineering blunder by someone. I have never had a car where the ventilation controls were down by your knee like that. I think it was an after thought by someone in engineering. The glass roof gives lots of headroom front and back. Really wish that you could raise the front of the seat separately to take pressure off your lower back. Also, even though there are memory setting for drivers, having to manually raise, lower, extend, retract the steering wheel is an annoyance. This should be automatic and electric.

Fit & Finish. Excellent. I did not see any issues at all. All doors and joints were even and well spaced. I did not see any damage to the bottom of frame from shipping hooks.

Electronics: Again, well designed and laid out...except the afore mentioned max defrost button. The screen was responsive and easy to read even in the light mode. Temperature slider controls were also very responsive. I listened and did not hear any electronic whine from the drivers display that has been mentioned before. Love the folding mirrors. Of note, you cannot shift the gear switch unless firmly pressing on brake. You also cannot put it in reverse while the car is moving forward. (I tried at low speed). Parking brake released automatically with brake pedal pressed and shift knob turned. I did not get a chance to try out the navigation or lane keeping modes.

Performance: The RWD ER had plenty of power. Enough my wife gave a oh SH!t when I floored it. Looking forward to our AWD model and even more power. The demo had 60 miles on it so was not able to get a good idea of miles/kwh especially when people like me flooring it in unbridled mode. I was VERY disappointed in the regen/one pedal driving. The Chevy Bolt was so good at that. The Mach E is about the same level of regen as our Leaf. Yes I know the car is heavier than the Leaf but I was still not impressed. I love one pedal driving around the mountains where I live and was hoping for much more impressive regen. Over all the handling was very pleasant with good feedback to the driver through the steering. Car took bumps (and railroad tracks) very well. When I drove for about a mile in Whisper mode it the steering did feel rather mushy though. The whisper mode felt about the same as the Eco mode on our leaf.

Although I was not really surprised, the salesperson who took us for a ride really did not know that much about the car. I went right into the various settings on the computer display to play with them while he just watched and I explained what they did.

So: Overall I like the car very very much. I don't think that the black trim around wheel wells and bottom of car looks very well with darker colors like the grey that we drove. I really like the way it looks on the white and Rapid Red however. There is one thing I really like better about the Nissan Leaf and that is having the charging ports on the front of the car. That is the most logical place to have them as when you pull up to a charger. IMO the car will look best in white, red, and infinite blue....just my thoughts. People younger than me will beg to differ I am sure. I would love to see the GT in orange or yellow.

Maybe in six weeks ours will be here.
Thanks for sharing. I find it very interesting and entertaining to read everybody's impression on driving their new Mach E or test driving. I also find it so interesting that people manage to remember and check so many things during their tests :)

I also just came back from a test drive - tested Shadow Black RWD Standard Premium model. To sum everything up right away - I absolutely, to some degree, surprisingly - loved it. Just loved it. Could not stop my heart beating for some time after the test - it was so much fun. My goal was to test dynamics of the car and sound system. I had my whole family during the test and my personal DJ - my daughter. I know, the model was Standard and it was RWD - but it was quick like lightning. Sure, I probably didn't have a punch in my belly (like people testing Tesla are saying), but every time I was hitting pedal to the floor - my heart started pounding from joy, my daughter was constantly giggling and saying "Holy s%%t" and my wife was shouting at me with accusations that I want to kill our whole family :).

I didn't check the 0-60 times but the way I felt - it was faster than 5 seconds. And if it was not - that's fine - I think the faster would be way too dangerous to my and my passengers well being :).

We tested sound too - because we are music lovers - I liked it, and main thing - my daughter loved it. Again, maybe if tested B&W system, I would love it more, but what I heard was great and way way better than what we had currently in both of our Hondas. And music sounded great from at any of the seats in the car - opposite from our Honda Pilot where back seats get too much bass. And btw, the seats in the back felt as comfortable as in the front, if not even more comfortable.

My only concern was - the car felt a little bit unstable, despite, obviously, being so heavy and despite the others saying it was very stable - to my taste, the wheel felt too light, I would love to have a little bit more feedback from it. And while driving at a high speed (85-95) the car felt a little bit wobbly. Just my impression. I probably need to test drive it a little bit more to make sure - but it felt that unstable at a faster speed and I think it felt fine at 65-70 mph.

Anyway, a resume - we loved, all of us. My daughter said after the test - "I will be really mad if we don't get this car" :) - that sums it up :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My only concern was - the car felt a little bit unstable, despite, obviously, being so heavy and despite the others saying it was very stable - to my taste, the wheel felt too light, I would love to have a little bit more feedback from it. And while driving at a high speed (85-95) the car felt a little bit wobbly. Just my impression. I probably need to test drive it a little bit more to make sure - but it felt that unstable at a faster speed and I think it felt fine at 65-70 mph.
Were you driving in Unbridled?

OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Unstable at 85-95......Not around here. I don't think I have driven that fast since my late teens and I stopped doing that or I would have lost my license.....Tickets and insurance got too high...lol

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I offer to share 3 videos we made while testing Mach E today. Totally sporadic, unedited and a lot of conversations in Russian. A warning - the videos are totally crazy but that's how we felt while testing :) Sorry for anything you won't like but I thought I would share - and I personally liked the sound system which plays big part in here - btw, listening with headphones shows the sound so much better in these videos :).

I think it will be blocked in some time as we listened to quite a few well known songs for quite a long period of time :(

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Engaged. I didn't risk driving in Unbridled as I have never driver in OPD mode...
Steering is tighter in Unbridled. However, there has been mention from some reviewers that the steering isn't as responsive as they would like.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Good review. Agree with many observations - particularly being underwhelmed by frunk size.

Only thing I found a bit odd was observing a comparable size to the LEAF. The MME is nearly a foot longer and a few inches wider and taller. It looked plenty beefy to me - certainly not the size of a full SUV but quite a bit larger than a LEAF.

OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Good review. Agree with many observations - particularly being underwhelmed by frunk size.

Only thing I found a bit odd was observing a comparable size to the LEAF. The MME is nearly a foot longer and a few inches wider and taller. It looked plenty beefy to me - certainly not the size of a full SUV but quite a bit larger than a LEAF.
I did not measure by tape. Just the side by side comparison to the naked eye there did not seem to be a huge difference. The hood of MME is of course longer and that is where the difference of the 10 inches lies. The actual exterior cabin size is very close. Inside is where you can really see difference. Our Leaf is the newer body style also. It is much larger than old Leaf style.
Sponsored