Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
The new pics of the spotted testcar confirmed my fear, that Ford is doing some crazy stuff with the tail lights. On a normal Mustang the tribars are alle 3 the normal lights, all three are also the brake lights and sequential turn signal. On European Mustangs the two inner bars are brakes and the outer one is the turn signal.

I'm sure this is an EU Mach-E thing, but with the current pictures it seems like the Mach-E has all bars as normal lights, but only the upper half as brake lights and only the lower half of them as turn signals (maybe sequential) - I really hope they think about these lights again. This doesn't look right to me.

Ford Mustang Mach-E So Ford messed up EU taillights again? mache_lights
Sponsored

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
On some of the videos of the Mach-e, the turn signals are sequential on the US version. But, only the lower half seemed to illuminate. I hope that changes between the prototypes and production. The entire light should light up in a sequential pattern a la 2015+ Mustangs.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
The new pics of the spotted testcar confirmed my fear, that Ford is doing some crazy stuff with the tail lights. On a normal Mustang the tribars are alle 3 the normal lights, all three are also the brake lights and sequential turn signal. On European Mustangs the two inner bars are brakes and the outer one is the turn signal.

I'm sure this is an EU Mach-E thing, but with the current pictures it seems like the Mach-E has all bars as normal lights, but only the upper half as brake lights and only the lower half of them as turn signals (maybe sequential) - I really hope they think about these lights again. This doesn't look right to me.

Ford Mustang Mach-E So Ford messed up EU taillights again? mache_lights
I like the taillights the way they are but would mind see the alternative

Kouakuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A
Country flag
I actually would like to have amber rear turn signals here in the US for the mach e even if it is in that weird implementation. Really hate red turn signals.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you watch to 1:06 in the video it shows the lower half of the taillights are the turn signals and they blink in yellow and are sequential.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I actually would like to have amber rear turn signals here in the US for the mach e even if it is in that weird implementation. Really hate red turn signals.
Would add as many +1 as possible to this, red turn signal are awful how it is allowed from a safety point of view I never know.

I know I am biased but originally hailing from the other side of the pond sorry to say but usa car lighting standards are antiquated garbage, every time I go back home to visit family over the festive period and end up driving at night it is such a joy to have some proper matrix headlights compared to the candles in jam jars that pass for lights over here :( and nice animated amber turn signals on the rear that are clearly visible without having to confirm to ridiculous size requirements

Blinkingicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Mustang GT, 2015 Taco
Country flag
What is the reason for the upper/lower split anyone know? Why not just do it like the S550?

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is the reason for the upper/lower split anyone know? Why not just do it like the S550?
Styling is the most likely reason. Having the brake lights on top and sequential turn signals on the bottom are neat.

Last edited:

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S550
Country flag
Styling is the most likely reason. Having the brake lights on to and sequential turn signals on the bottom are neat.
probably to get around exactly this -US style sequential (even if amber) not legal in EU -brake light needs to be more visible when used together with indicator

electric_boogaloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Elantra
Country flag
Sorry to revive this but I have had some information from my brother who is a Ford Engineer working on the Mach E. I don't mind the red turn signals and I think the Mustang sequential lights are iconic at this point and would like that to continue for future Mustangs., at least in North America where the amber lights aren't required. And I hate the look of the horizontally split brake/turn signals.

Anyways so I asked my brother why they made it like this. Mind you, he is not in the team that designs/works with the taillights. But he says the prototypes he has seen definitely has a regular full red sequential turn signals like the current Mustangs. According to him the promos/pics must have been the European one. I did ask him why they had the European taillights on the left hand drive Mustang at the LA Auto show and it didn't make sense to him either.

But according to this it sounds like they are planning the horizontal split for Europe but regular Mustang taillights for North America - which I am excited to hear.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Well lets hope that it is easy to retro fit the European lights for those of us that hate red turn signals with a passion how the nhtsa allows for such ambiguity between braking and turning by sharing the same light & color in this day and age is shocking.

The clear tail light also looks equallly awful :( however multiple euopean vehicals have amber turn signals in a full red tinted tail lamp assembly, the only reason for not having done it properly on fords part is pure bean counting :(

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hope Ford leaves the taillights with the yellow lower turn signals I really like those.
Sponsored