So I joined the Mustang Club of America . . .

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
So I joined the Mustang Club of America to get the X Plan pricing (I used to get A and Z when dad was still around), and because I thought it would be neat to join - and WOW. I would say 99% of the posts over there on their forums have absolutely NO love for the Mach E. And when I say no love, it is pretty much hatred.

I'm beginning to wonder if they find out that I have an order placed if I will be kicked out.

I have loved the Mustang since I was a kid. Life never made it practical for me to have a car that was not practical, so I have never owned one. The Mach E gives me the opportunity to do that, and I am enthusiastic that Ford is expanding the brand.

Whoever is the first guy or gal to show up at an MCA show with a Mach E though will probably not escape with their life.
Sponsored

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
This is so unfortunate that these folks can't keep an open mind. I am sure I have fervently disliked a change to my favorite product by a company, but heck it is THEIR company to do what they think is in their best interest. I am 100% sure that Ford figured out with data that the pros outweighed the cons by a huge margin. And that they acknowledge that there will be diehards who will not accept the design change. Again, as previous more learned members here mentioned, the same was true about BMW and Porsche, and their SUV's and 4-door products are equally if not more successful than their legacy smaller and sportier cars.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
This is exactly why what Ford did is amazing. When you think about it, people are extremely resistant to change. The Mach E is exactly what Ford needed to do. Imagine how difficult it must have been to release an electric mustang, and make it a CSUV.

It speaks volumes to the seriousness this car has for Ford and how Ford is showing they can adapt to changing consumer and governmental demands.

I think this move is equal to their move about winning LeMans. People doubting, saying are you crazy, stupid, etc.

They did right by calling it a Mustang. Those that can't see that are still stuck in the past.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
If you have never driven an EV, such as a Tesla, there is a BIG reason why Ford went with an SUV design.

The handling will be much better and performance will be better than any previous mustang in certain metrics. A lot of this has to do with all 4 wheels being driven with instantaneous torque and the CG (center gravity) being the lowest out of any mustang ford has made. It will handle better even in a small SUV package for that very reason. Why sacrifice on space when you can have the best of both worlds? Making it a car is like cutting off their legs, and for what reason exactly? To please the mustang fanboys that will never buy one anyway? The car business is in the tanks worldwide.

People want performance and space. They can get both. The raptor does this quite well. Mach E will set the bar very high and really it's genius.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's disappointing but not surprising. Hardcore fans of any product are also the most resistant to change, even if that change literally has no effect on them.

I've seen a few online comments from people who said they would buy the Mustang Mach-E but since it's called a Mustang, they'll just buy a Tesla instead. That makes zero sense to me but whatever, if Ford sells a ton of MMEs the old guard will get drowned out.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
It's disappointing but not surprising. Hardcore fans of any product are also the most resistant to change, even if that change literally has no effect on them.

I've seen a few online comments from people who said they would buy the Mustang Mach-E but since it's called a Mustang, they'll just buy a Tesla instead. That makes zero sense to me but whatever, if Ford sells a ton of MMEs the old guard will get drowned out.
xD

Yeah right. That's just people talking out their you know what! IT isn't like Ford stops making the Mustang GT or anything..

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
xD

Yeah right. That's just people talking out their you know what! IT isn't like Ford stops making the Mustang GT or anything..
Exactly. The Mustang purist will still have their car to love, maybe because of the Mach E. And if Ford gets to expand their branding into a family of Mustang inspired performance vehicles, why not do it? Sounds like a win, win, win.....for everybody.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, it is a shame that so many of the diehards have taken it as a personal betrayal. Ford is doing what they have to in order to not just survive but to thrive- which means the v8 ponies will continue to be available well into the future. I too have been a fan of mustang since I was a kid, enough so that I had one concurrently with having little kids. It wasn't easy putting booster seats in the back, but that was nothing compared to driving a car I loved to drive.

The mach is not a traditional mustang, but who cares if it's fun to drive? For that matter, who cares if the diehards dislike it? As !omg as the mach e lives up to its potential I will be happy.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This brings a few thoughts too mind:
1) Don't tell them until you have your X-plan pricing document in hand -- just in case
2) Look back at the original Mustang. It was never about a particular styling, it was about an attitude. Here's an original 1964 Mustang ad from the NY Times: "The Unexpected...here today", "This is the car you never expected from Detroit." "Mustang brings you the look, the fire and the flavor of the great European road cars."
3) This petrol heads who think nothing but an ICE coupe can be a Mustang never got it and never will.
4) Ford has now done for the EV what the original Mustang did for Ford: it brought attitude and fire.
I look forward to driving up to my first MCA of Maryland event in my First Edition Grabber Blue Mach E. They can say and think what they want.
Ford Mustang Mach-E So I joined the Mustang Club of America . . . 1964 Mustang ad

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Not surprising at all. Tribalism is deeply ingrained in many. You've got the Tesla fanboys on the Tesla forums acting much the same. And don't forget the Tesla haters right here on this forum! ;) There is a high capacity in the human race to hate that which is different. Rational thought is something that's always in short supply.

Be prepared when you you get your Mach-e for a variety of strong reactions. Many will be thrilled and curious. Many others will hate--yes hate--both you and your car. I think you're going to find more acceptance from Tesla owners than from Ford enthusiasts. EV owners are still a small group. Even here on the Left Coast, there is a lot of hate towards EVs, regardless of brand.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Funny, but it has almost become a symptom of current society. If you read the posts on the MCA forum some even mix in the political tribalism with their MME hatred.

When I was at the Cleveland auto show admiring the MME, a guy came up beside me and said "disgusting isn't it?". I told him, not really, I have my deposit in on an order, and he quickly scuttled away.

I'm planning on putting the MCA decal that I get with membership in the rear window of my MME when I get it. :)

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I said that in the other tread that Mustang sales throughout the years has been dropping from the high 600K+/year to under 100K/y in 2019. What do you think Ford will do, bring in the growing demand EV to the Mustang family. This is the right thing to do. Who cares what the die hard fans said. The market is changing. I'm for one who likes Mustang over the years but with the family obligation, a 2-door coupe cannot suit the need. I own the 2013 Model S and now reserve the Mach E. People like me would not consider Mach E if there is no Mustang classic design and features. I really applaud Ford doing this. I remember when I first purchased my Model S, there are so many naysayers about EV (still do today), I'm the one who enjoyed driving my Model S each day and that's true for most Tesla owners. Hope Ford can build the Mach E so enjoyable to drive like Tesla cars.

TOBG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I got two decals when I joined. One for my wife's Mustang GT and one for my Mach E.
Sponsored