So I joined the Mustang Club of America . . .

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
I loved my '67 Mustang but there was no hiding the fact it was a 2-door Falcon. Early '70s Mustangs were fat and lazy. in '74 the Mustang II was an obvious Pinto. The mid-'80s Fox body I had briefly was mechanically dreadful. Today's well built rather costly independent rear suspension Mustangs share Zero DNA with the original other than tail lights, number of doors, and a pony on the grille.
Sponsored

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Those are the same people who LOST THEIR MINDS when Chevy released the mid-engine Corvette.

...Just wait until the electric Corvette comes out ?
And went nuts when the taillights were changed from round to rectangular...there are WAY TOO MANY rigid, tunnel-visioned people in our country. "The only constant is change."

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
What's weird is while I thought the NAM crowd was a bit short sighted with Ford calling it a Mustang, I myself can't bring myself to call it a Mustang. Like, if someone said what car to you drive, I would say "Ford Mach-E, you know, the electric crossover". Because I know if I say Mustang, they will go to the V8 coupes in their minds, and the discussion will be longer and more complicated, etc. I didn't really even think about it as I waited all this time about whether I would call it a Mustang. I just wanted a good looking EV and all I have are Fords, so easy. But, I have never owned a Mustang, so I would feel like a bit of a poser saying I have a Mustang. I really should be in therapy.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
i dont think if called anything else would have caused anyone to look at it. Ford has built ICE mustangs that were less than stellar and sold that way. i think Ford knows how important the mustang brand is to the Co. If it succeeds all will be forgotte, if it fails will be huge fail for Ford and mustang brand. Will be hard for Ford to recover if this car fails. IMO

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
What's weird is while I thought the NAM crowd was a bit short sighted with Ford calling it a Mustang, I myself can't bring myself to call it a Mustang. Like, if someone said what car to you drive, I would say "Ford Mach-E, you know, the electric crossover". Because I know if I say Mustang, they will go to the V8 coupes in their minds, and the discussion will be longer and more complicated, etc. I didn't really even think about it as I waited all this time about whether I would call it a Mustang. I just wanted a good looking EV and all I have are Fords, so easy. But, I have never owned a Mustang, so I would feel like a bit of a poser saying I have a Mustang. I really should be in therapy.
Agreed, I have never been a huge fan of the mustang. I am a ford fan though.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I call it the Mustang Mach E. My neighbor is a 40 year member of the MCOA, and yesterday he wanted me to show him my car. He was impressed, and is not a member of the NAM crowd. Kind of hard not to call it a Mustang with all those ponies.

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So I joined the Mustang Club of America to get the X Plan pricing (I used to get A and Z when dad was still around), and because I thought it would be neat to join - and WOW. I would say 99% of the posts over there on their forums have absolutely NO love for the Mach E. And when I say no love, it is pretty much hatred.

I'm beginning to wonder if they find out that I have an order placed if I will be kicked out.

I have loved the Mustang since I was a kid. Life never made it practical for me to have a car that was not practical, so I have never owned one. The Mach E gives me the opportunity to do that, and I am enthusiastic that Ford is expanding the brand.

Whoever is the first guy or gal to show up at an MCA show with a Mach E though will probably not escape with their life.
I'm in the same boat. Wanted a Mustang since I was 16, now a couple decades later I get one. My 16 year old self would be a bit puzzled that his future self ended up with a Mustang SUV though. :)

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I'm in the same boat. Wanted a Mustang since I was 16, now a couple decades later I get one. My 16 year old self would be a bit puzzled that his future self ended up with a Mustang SUV though. :)
But I bet your 16 year old self would enjoy 0-60 in 5 seconds!

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
What's funny is that I have had the opposite experience. If I tell somebody I am getting the Ford Mach-E, they look at me like "what is that?" And then I say the electric Mustang and they say "Oh Ya I saw that"

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
but realistically I haven't encountered ANYONE that calls it a Mustang Mach -E, without fail everyone calls it a Mach-E

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
but realistically I haven't encountered ANYONE that calls it a Mustang Mach -E, without fail everyone calls it a Mach-E
Mustang Mach-E. When anyone asks me, every time, without fail. I LOVE that it's a Mustang. I previously owned a 2003 Mustang GT, and this car is faster, more fun, has more room, and looks just as good or better in my opinion. Just today, picking up lunch, I got asked about it a couple of times. Yes it's a Mustang. Yes I've gotten it sideways. Yes it's better than a Tesla in my opinion, but I also get that a lot of that is subjective. YMMV, but to me it'll always be a Mustang first.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
But I bet your 16 year old self would enjoy 0-60 in 5 seconds!
its like the first Dodge Viper that came out I wanted it. 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with a big V10. The MME is better. Does the same but at least it wont consume 2MPG
Sponsored