John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Just got into an accident in a parking lot. Both of us were backing up at the same time out of our spaces. I looked in the cam and saw her car, but she hadn’t started moving. Looked parked. I looked over my shoulder to make sure oncoming traffic was clear and started backing out, and BANG.

Sigh.
Sponsored

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Just got into an accident in a parking lot. Both of us were backing up at the same time out of our spaces. I looked in the cam and saw her car, but she hadn’t started moving. Looked parked. I looked over my shoulder to make sure oncoming traffic was clear and started backing out, and BANG.

Sigh.
was your car moving at the time of "bang"

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Emergency reverse braking has triggered on my vehicle a few times now... It does a great job when it senses the need. But it can't see or predict everything, nor can it make you move forward out of the way of other driver's activities.

Sorry to hear this happened. It's a major bummer for the vehicle's appearance and repair costs. I assume everyone is ok since it was car on car in a slow parking lot.

OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Emergency reverse braking has triggered on my vehicle a few times now... It does a great job when it senses the need. But it can't see or predict everything, nor can it make you move forward out of the way of other driver's activities.

Sorry to hear this happened. It's a major bummer for the vehicle's appearance and repair costs. I assume everyone is ok since it was car on car in a slow parking lot.
Everyone is fine, thanks. Damage to the back is more than I’d expect for a 2+2 mph collision, but it is what it is.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
dang man, I'm sorry. First the charge door and now this

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
nor can it make you move forward out of the way of other driver's activities.
still at least
1) the hit would be half the strength
2)it wouldn't be his fault

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
still at least
1) the hit would be half the strength
2)it wouldn't be his fault
Reverse brake assist is a crash mitigation system, not crash prevention. It's hard to know if it did or did not activate in this circumstance. Either way, my other point stands that it does not detect every situation requiring brake assist.

In a parking lot with two cars reversing, it can be difficult to pin fault on one party. Especially if it's a private lot (like typical shopping plazas) where fewer driving laws apply.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Sorry to hear, I got into a similar accident once (not with the Mach-E). I was completely out and shifting from R to D when all of a sudden the person just started to reverse and went straight into me. Luckily he sort of made contact with my right rear tire, and basically no noticeable damage on a 7 year old car, which already had its share of dings and whatnot.

Rfehl62

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Ford Sales consultant
Country flag

Sigh.
Reverse brake assist only works when a vehicle is oncoming from the left or right. The car you hit was essentially in the blind spot of the system since it was out of that cone of vision.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Reverse brake assist is a crash mitigation system, not crash prevention. It's hard to know if it did or did not activate in this circumstance. Either way, my other point stands that it does not detect every situation requiring brake assist.
it should have sensed approaching to the obsticle and stop..... am I wring?

In a parking lot with two cars reversing, it can be difficult to pin fault on one party. Especially if it's a private lot (like typical shopping plazas) where fewer driving laws apply.
Usually there are cameras on the parking lot....... There is also some sort of "black box" on the modern cars... I don't know the details but I've heard that from car accident attorney.... so there are ways to prove

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Damage to the back is more than I’d expect for a 2+2 mph collision, but it is what it is.
Really sorry for you. Bumpers used to protect the cars from damages in collisions like that, but not any more.
What's the damage?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
it should have sensed approaching to the obsticle and stop..... am I wring?
Sort of... It's two separate steps:

1. Detect the approaching obstacle. This might or might not happen, depending on the limits of the current technology. (What can it sense, when can it sense it, etc.)

2. If step 1 says there's an obstacle approaching and the driver is continuing to allow the vehicle to move towards it, then activate mitigation measures. This itself has phases:

a. not imminent threat, not multi-second threat, either: do nothing

b. multi-second threat: beep

c. imminent threat: cut off accelerator input, apply strong braking force, flash big red rectangle with message in it on instrument cluster

Usually there are cameras on the parking lot....... There is also some sort of "black box" on the modern cars... I don't know the details but I've heard that from car accident attorney.... so there are ways to prove
Fair enough. I guess I was thinking of how it typically works when there's an accident on a public road. You have an officer come by to take statements and record observations of the scene... You give this to your insurance companies and they determine how fault is split. In a private parking lot, an officer may not be willing to do that first part. (This happened to a friend of mine... the officer said it's a private lot, sorry can't help at all.)

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Fair enough. I guess I was thinking of how it typically works when there's an accident on a public road. You have an officer come by to take statements and record observations of the scene... You give this to your insurance companies and they determine how fault is split. In a private parking lot, an officer may not be willing to do that first part. (This happened to a friend of mine... the officer said it's a private lot, sorry can't help at all.)
insurance also asks you for any evidences you have - witnesses, picturs, camera footages , etc

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Sort of... It's two separate steps:

1. Detect the approaching obstacle. This might or might not happen, depending on the limits of the current technology. (What can it sense, when can it sense it, etc.)

2. If step 1 says there's an obstacle approaching and the driver is continuing to allow the vehicle to move towards it, then activate mitigation measures. This itself has phases:

a. not imminent threat, not multi-second threat, either: do nothing

b. multi-second threat: beep

c. imminent threat: cut off accelerator input, apply strong braking force, flash big red rectangle with message in it on instrument cluster
But according to the description of the accident even warning did not happen. Otherwise why would he keep moving........
Sponsored