So now we have "Ground Speed" in the dash display?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Pilots have to deal with airspeed and ground speed as the aircrafts speed while in the air is affected by the wind. So Pilots need both. But whats up with ground speed in a car??
It's just meant to be cheeky since it was named after a plane. And since the speed that it's showing really is the ground speed, it's not wrong.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It's just meant to be cheeky since it was named after a plane. And since the speed that it's showing really is the ground speed, it's not wrong.
Is it named after the plane, or are the car and plane named after the same horse?

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My 11 GT500 did not say “ground speed”. I had to go back and double check old pictures to be sure but it’s definitely not there.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Is it named after the plane, or are the car and plane named after the same horse?
I am pretty sure that Ford would not have named their car after an aircraft that was designed and built by a General Motors division. There is a reason the aircraft had an Allison engine in its first few incarnations and it didn’t get the Rolls-Royce designed Merlin until a license could be worked out with Packard. ?‍♂?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Horse > Plane > Car
Had to google. I guess it’s not so simple. But with a bunch of dudes in the room coming up with name ideas, the real answer is probably “both.”

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/66494/10-things-you-might-not-know-about-ford-mustang

“
Quickly nicknamed the “Pony,” the Mustang name has a surprisingly complicated history. According to designer John Najjar, he suggested the name Mustang after the World War II P-51 Mustang fighter plane. That was rejected because it was too "airplaney," so he pitched the name again as a type of horse, and everyone loved it.

But Lee Iacocca remembers it differently. He says there was a trend of naming cars after animals, so an advertising consultant gave them a list of mostly animal names for the car. And one of them was Mustang. Whichever version is true, according to Ford Motor Company, other names considered for the car as it was developed in 1962-63 were Cougar, Torino, Allegro, and Avventura. “

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I always thought it was simply to pay tribute to the aircraft of the same name, not that the car was named after the plane.??‍♂
Sponsored