mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
Wow, 80mph is considered reckless driving? When was that law passed, the Truman Administration?
Was that way when I got my license back in the stone age and has never been serious talk of revising it even since max speed limits were increased back in 2010 I think.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: ARK

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
My father used to have a serious problem of buying cars in Europe and bringing them here to the US. In 1978 he bought a Porsche 911 and got the call that it was at the dock in NJ and come pick it up. This was in the Jimmy Carter days. On his way back to San Diego he stopped in Las Vegas and headed out early to make the drive on the 15 to San Diego.

My mom woke me up early on a Sunday morning with an envelope and sent me to the State Patrol office in Barstow to bail my father out. It was a felony to goy over 90 at the time and they clocked him over 100. He told me it seemed like a huge accident ahead with tons of lights ahead. As he approached, there were cops behind open doors with shotguns pointed at him. He hired a lawyer and pled it down to less than 90 so he could keep his job.

He passed away 3 years ago and I found a picture of him with that wicked red 911. Perhaps his favorite car even if it did cost him a fortune. So, yes, he would enjoy the MME.

• Love
Reactions: ARK

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
Hypothetically, it's possible to drive a 1995 Mustang GT Convertible at 145 MPH on a wide-open New Mexico interstate at about 5 am to prove that it can go faster than a V6 Honda Accord that one's boss drove at 140 MPH and bragged about it.

Hypothetically.
Hypothetically, a 2012 Porsche 911 can do at least 165 mph on a wide open stretch of highway. With the top down. A friend told me. Hypothetically of course.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Hypothetically, a 2012 Porsche 911 can do at least 165 mph on a wide open stretch of highway. With the top down. A friend told me. Hypothetically of course.
17 years is a long time in car years, not hypothetically ;)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Way back when there were NSL roads there was a hypothetical guy with a hypothetical car that allegedly did 2 flying miles in 37 seconds and change one way, 36 and change the other. The hypothetical guy allegedly doesn’t do that kind of hypothetical stuff any more.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My father used to have a serious problem of buying cars in Europe and bringing them here to the US. In 1978 he bought a Porsche 911 and got the call that it was at the dock in NJ and come pick it up. This was in the Jimmy Carter days. On his way back to San Diego he stopped in Las Vegas and headed out early to make the drive on the 15 to San Diego.

My mom woke me up early on a Sunday morning with an envelope and sent me to the State Patrol office in Barstow to bail my father out. It was a felony to goy over 90 at the time and they clocked him over 100. He told me it seemed like a huge accident ahead with tons of lights ahead. As he approached, there were cops behind open doors with shotguns pointed at him. He hired a lawyer and pled it down to less than 90 so he could keep his job.

He passed away 3 years ago and I found a picture of him with that wicked red 911. Perhaps his favorite car even if it did cost him a fortune. So, yes, he would enjoy the MME.
Back then the law of the land was 55, wasn't it? so yeah, twice the speed limit might piss the state troopers off.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
A friend told you??? I thought you were going to say you read it on the internet. Remember Abraham Lincoln's famous advice "Don't believe everything you read on the internet".

dennsity

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 4XE (on order)
Country flag
If true, it's not much different than Virginia. We have a top speed limit (for all cars) of 70 mph—which is only even on a very precious few highways, most are 55 mph—and regardless of the speed limit, 80 mph is an automatic reckless driving citation. So, while I have no idea if it's really going to happen in CA, it wouldn't surprise me if it did...basically the same here.
That’s not quite right. Virginia (and most other states) have statutory speed limits of 70mph, but what the OP described is an imposed limitation of the car itself. The suggestion was that California would impose mandatory changes to vehicle software or other mechanism to make it physically impossible to exceed 65mph.

There’s no state in the US right now that has such a rule, I’m aware of no such plans in the works, and in the absence of a reliable source I assume the OP was trolling.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A friend told you??? I thought you were going to say you read it on the internet. Remember Abraham Lincoln's famous advice "Don't believe everything you read on the internet".
I don't want my "friend" to get into any trouble just in case the NSA is reading these posts and can track him down... LOL

The brochure for my 911 says it can do 186mph. I will just trust that one. My "friend" tells me 165+ was a bit scary. Mainly because it was not done accelerating. Some things are best left untested.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I “hear” that 195 doesn’t look much different than 175. 204 definitely doesn’t look different from 195. Or so I “hear.”

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't want my "friend" to get into any trouble just in case the NSA is reading these posts and can track him down... LOL

The brochure for my 911 says it can do 186mph. I will just trust that one. My "friend" tells me 165+ was a bit scary. Mainly because it was not done accelerating. Some things are best left untested.
Speaking hypothetically again, anything above about 110 MPH starts to get a bit scary and it gets worse as it goes up.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Speaking hypothetically again, anything above about 110 MPH starts to get a bit scary and it gets worse as it goes up.
I am told the scariest part of the 911 above 110 is that it is not scary, and leads you to believe (wrongly) that it is not dangerous at all.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
You guys and your Contour SVTs going 150+ crack me up. I was big into drag racing and street racing out in the country (or Mexico ?) when they came out and they struggled to run the 1/4 in the low-mid 15s in the 88-90mph range and they took forever to get to terminal velocity in the low 140s. The reviews of the day agree. You guys had some very optimistic speedo calibrations ?.
I almost bought a Contour SVT, but I read on a forum about PaaK not working very well and canceled my order. I even had a name picked out and a start to a nice gripe list... thank God I dodged that bad decision ?
Sponsored