So what does the button by the charge port do?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So what does the button by the charge port do?
Only for DCFC charging.....not used for AC charging.....

It is there for a "just in case" the lock doesn't release after your DCFC session.

If your DCFC station hangs and you aren't able to stop the DCFC session from the station controls......then you can press that lock button and it should send a signal to the station to stop the charge event and then will unlock that pin once the car has confirmed there is no current on those DC pins.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
When I charge at home using my FCCS, I have to press the button before it will release the plug.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
When I charge at home using my FCCS, I have to press the button before it will release the plug.
Does your FCCS connector not have a thumb button?

The Ford Service Manual says that button is for DCFC only.......but there isn't anything saying that pin can't also lock in the J1772 connector if the car chooses. ?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The Ford Service Manual says that button is for DCFC only.......but there isn't anything saying that pin can't also lock in the J1772 connector if the car chooses. ?
It does have a thumb button. Now I'm doubting myself. When I charged the first time, I swear it wouldn't unplug until I pressed the release on the car, so I've been doing it ever since. I'll check it again.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It does have a thumb button. Now I'm doubting myself. When I charged the first time, I swear it wouldn't unplug until I pressed the release on the car, so I've been doing it ever since. I'll check it again.
If that lock pin is activated.....then it would not allow your thumb button to operate mechanically, it will feel like its locked or something is blocking it. Ford redesigned the lock pin for the MME. I compared it to my FFE and it has a different mechanism. Comes down from the top. The MME comes out horizontally (if I remember correctly.....)

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
What charger do you have? I have a Grizzl-E and I find that I need to push the button to get it to release.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I have a Chargepoint - no need for the button to remove the plug. Just press on the thumb button, which lifts the latch on the plug.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I just wanted to update this topic. I charged last night using my FCCS. I definitely could not remove the connector without pressing the button on the car.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I just wanted to update this topic. I charged last night using my FCCS. I definitely could not remove the connector without pressing the button on the car.
Interesting. Have you charged from other Level 2 EVSEs? Is the FCCS the only one that locks the connector?

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
The thumb button is locked when in use foe my OpenEVSE as well...
Sponsored