Software update speculation and wish list.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
With the news of Ford looking at a more google model of making money from the software and also over the air updates. I think that there will be lots of software updates like Tesla.
What do you want to see and what could be coming?

Definite.
Autopilot $1400

Wish list
Launch control
Netflix
YouTube
Driving stats
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Pretty good list. Maybe "dog mode" and some games to play while charging, a 'la Tesla?

Since the UI is html5 based, I'd like to see them open up a "sandbox" (maybe in a virtual machine) for webpages, although I can see where they'd be cautious about allowing plugins and extensions to be installed.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
All of those above are great.

1. Software unlocked performance upgrades (faster 0-60)
  2. iPhone or Android screen share feature (share your iphone screen to your Mach E screen)
  3. Dash cam recording feature
  4. Highly customizable HUD LCD features (change the background, different fonts, colors ,etc)
  5. Driving statistics such as battery degradation, estimate tire ware feature (based off driving dynamics like they do for oil changes) and active car power delivery graphics (show power to each wheel or slippage based on conditions like snow).
  6. Car smart range feature option that shows maybe underneath your battery range what your true range will be taking into account outside air temperature, wind conditions, weather forecast, how you like to keep your interior climate, and daily driving habits (i.e. car records and knows your daily driving habits, knows if you put in a far destination and calculates range loss accurately/accordingly).
  7. Upgradeable computer that runs the Mach E so for many years to come the vehicle can always keep up to date with features.
  8. Automated Garage door opening and closing when leaving/entering home.
  9. Automated cabin controls/heated seats based off OAT/Cabin temperature that can be customized to suit each individual. Phone app needs to have those features available as well.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
* Dog Mode
* Some sort of Sentry and/or Dash Cam
* Driving Stats would be neat
* Some kind of overheat protection while parked in the sun unplugged -- May have it already, I don't know.

I have zero interest in Netflix/Web Browsing

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  1. Car smart range feature option that shows maybe underneath your battery range what your true range will be taking into account outside air temperature, wind conditions, weather forecast, how you like to keep your interior climate, and daily driving habits (i.e. car records and knows your daily driving habits, knows if you put in a far destination and calculates range loss accurately/accordingly).
You mean this? https://media.ford.com/content/ford...19/ford-mustang-mach-e-intelligent-range.html

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Don't know if it already does this, but I'd like some energy reports so I can track miles per kilowatt hour.
  • Ideally, I'd like to have the car upload its data to Ford and let me go to my laptop to export my data to a spreadsheet.
  • I'd also love to see how my driving efficiency compares to my "neighbors" (like maybe a 50 or 100-mile radius). Similar to an ecobee thermostat.
Might someday use a camping mode, which would keep climate control running while parked and plugged in (or even not plugged in, for awhile) for many hours.

I definitely want some sort of battery temp management to happen while the car is unplugged and parked in a hot place.

Would be nice to have some maintenance monitors/reminders. Let me know when airflow is too far reduced due to a dirty cabin filter, for instance. Let me know when coolant should be flushed, etc.

I don't want Ford to blindly copy everything Tesla does. I don't care for the fart mode or launch control or a web browser, though I could see launch control being sold as an add-on with certain warranty caveats. I definitely don't want gimmicky ADAS functions. Put another way, don't disregard the top importance of road safety while adding new "Autopilot" or "FSD" functions.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't know if it already does this, but I'd like some energy reports so I can track miles per kilowatt hour.
  • Ideally, I'd like to have the car upload its data to Ford and let me go to my laptop to export my data to a spreadsheet.
  • I'd also love to see how my driving efficiency compares to my "neighbors" (like maybe a 50 or 100-mile radius). Similar to an ecobee thermostat.
Might someday use a camping mode, which would keep climate control running while parked and plugged in (or even not plugged in, for awhile) for many hours.

I definitely want some sort of battery temp management to happen while the car is unplugged and parked in a hot place.

Would be nice to have some maintenance monitors/reminders. Let me know when airflow is too far reduced due to a dirty cabin filter, for instance. Let me know when coolant should be flushed, etc.

I don't want Ford to blindly copy everything Tesla does. I don't care for the fart mode or launch control or a web browser, though I could see launch control being sold as an add-on with certain warranty caveats. I definitely don't want gimmicky ADAS functions. Put another way, don't disregard the top importance of road safety while adding new "Autopilot" or "FSD" functions.
A robust API would be nice. I know there are 3rd party Tesla apps that can keep track of battery degradation and other statistics.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • The ability to go deeper into the battery for "emergency range" on a limited basis (a few uses per year?). Not so much that it does serious battery damage, but enough that a few rare times going deeper than the 88 kWh limit won't hurt. Maybe it already does that (we don't know yet what actually happens when you hit 0%... maybe it already allows an extra 5 kWh to be used?).
  • An easy app button for "Condition Car Now", so when we're nearing ready to leave the restaurant or store, we can just click the button for the A/C or heat to come on.
  • Strong reminder alarms (customizable) in the app for when the car is nearing full charge on an L3 charger, so that people don't get distracted doing other things away from the car and forget they've run over and are blocking the charger for others.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Diagnostics mode that lets me see a view of CAN2 operational parameters. I don’t want to deal with an external scanner and software (in view only mode of course). Bonus points, let me build a custom dashboard.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Yeah that's one of the things I really hope they have - I am addicted to the by-the-minute drive and charge data I get from a third-party service called TeslaFi on my Model 3. It's cleary a good business model - thousands of Tesla owners pay $5 a month to get this data from TeslaFi. I'd gladly subscribe to $5/month "FordFi."

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
My top priorities for OTAs I'd like to see are:
  • Integrated dashcam
  • "Camp Mode" (cabin HVAC on, all other lights (and screen) off overnight)
  • Integrating the Universal Garage Door Opener with the FordPass app
I hope they do work on some small games, etc. and other customization things that will enhance the experience further.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Diagnostics mode that lets me see a view of CAN2 operational parameters. I don’t want to deal with an external scanner and software (in view only mode of course). Bonus points, let me build a custom dashboard.
I suspect without evidence that dashboard customization would have to be limited for legal reasons, especially since there are no analog gauges - meaning for example you'd have to have a speedometer of some sort, for example. I could see a current-for-Ford set of left and right widgets, for example, while keeping the middle portion much more locked down.
Sponsored