(Solved) Best alternative for Ford's charger and possible rebates..

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
[Update]

Thank you everyone for your valuable assistance. I'm going ahead with Charge point CPH50

This particular model has $500 rebate from my utility provider and also qualifies for clean energy tax credits for the cost of charger and installation.

Washington state Snohomish PUD. https://www.snopud.com/?p=3808

------------
Original post
------------

What are you guys going with? Ford's connected charger? or are there any better or equal products out there which cost less and possibly have incentives from your utility provider.
In my area, the utility provider is giving a rebate of $500 for charges that cost 599/699, https://www.snopud.com/?p=3808

What is the best recommended one?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
What are you guys going with? Ford's connected charger? or are there any better or equal products out there which cost less and possibly have incentives from your utility provider.
In my area, the utility provider is giving a rebate of $500 for charges that cost 599/699, https://www.snopud.com/?p=3808

Read https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-48amp-charger-vs-other-makes.2490/

Ford provided a 240V/32A charger for free. You can just use that.

Some people like to keep one in the garage, one in the car. And some people can install a charger pretty much for free, like you.

Grizzl E, Charge Point, Clipper Creek, Juice Box (Enel X) are some well known brands.

If you want to have an EVSE with a plug, go with 32A or 40A charger. If you want to go hard-wired, you can go up to 48A. Anything higher will not charge your Mach E any faster, but will work just fine.

At 32A, Mach E Extended Range can be charged from 10% to 80% in 8 hours, which is more than enough for most people.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Well, I ordered the Ford charger after much hemming (still on backorder so can't cancel). However I read the charge cable is only 20ft butmay be wrong on that. The only plus I see is app integration. If the 20ft cable is not long enough I will get a Grizzl-E as those come with 25 foot cables.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Personally I'm just using a wall outlet.

But the Ford Connected charging station is hardwired, which would take it out of consideration for me. If it was plug-in, I guess I could see it, but as it stands, the Mobile Charger already uses a 14-50 outlet at 32A which seems more than enough for 99% of people.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I guess it all depends on application. My charger will be living outside close to the ocean, an outlet box is just a future point of failure.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag

If your utility is offering a rebate, check to see if they limit which chargers qualify for the rebate.

My local utility only offered the rebate on qualifying chargers from either ChargePoint or Enel X (JuiceBox) ... but no others.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
My 32amp Juice Box has worked for two vehicles so far and I guess I will use for the Mache as long as it keeps working. I am not sold on the application thing though. The Juice Box has one but I have never used it. Our power rate is 9.2 cents/kwh regardless of the time of day. We just plug car in when we are done using it for the day. The only way I could see using the application on phone is if your power is cheaper deep into the night and want to start the car charging then.

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
I decided to get a Grizzl-e (in addition to the mobile charger) instead of a hardwired version for the following reasons.
1) allows me to keep the mobile charger in the car for emergencies
2) if the unit fails, I can just unplug it and then use the mobile charger as a backup
3) since nobody has been able to confirm we can limit the current usage on the mobile charger (lower than 32A), I may actually take the Grizzl-e with me on trips to my parents house since they have a 30 A outlet I can use. You can set the current limit on the Grizzle-e.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I went with the Chargepoint Flex. I'm very happy with it. Pretty much free after Fed and local electric company rebates (including the installation).

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I have a
HCS-50P Plug-in, 40A, L2 EVSE, 240V, NEMA 14-50
  • Brand: ClipperCreek
  • Product Code: 0922-00-004
  • Availability: Pre-Order
  • $659.00
It works admirably. It has a 40 Amp (9.6kW max) capacity, which will be more than adequate for everyday use as well as for more miles. Plus it has the NEMA 14-50 which is what the Ford supplied 32A utilizes.
Order it now so it beats the MME to your garage.
If you want to future proof or think you require more, try a hardwire
HCS-80, 64 Amp, Level 2 EVSE, 240V, with 25 ft cable
  • Brand: ClipperCreek
  • Product Code: 0920-00-001
  • Availability: Pre-Order
  • $969.00
15.4kW(perhaps a truck or VW van are in your plans)
Interestingly, they now have all the MMEs listed for the HCS-50P. Both have the SAE J1772 connector .

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Home Depot offers two - both highly rated.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If your utility is offering a rebate, check to see if they limit which chargers qualify for the rebate.

My local utility only offered the rebate on qualifying chargers from either ChargePoint or Enel X (JuiceBox) ... but no others.
I know I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that DTE would be adding Ford's 48A charger to their list of approved equipment. Although I see that DTE hasn't yet included it on its website, I'm sure that if you called them to discuss the setup you could probably get some information on the Ford charger. I get my MME in late March or early April, and I plan on getting my Ford charger installed in March; I'm hoping the DTE list is officially updated by then.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
I went with the Chargepoint Flex. I'm very happy with it. Pretty much free after Fed and local electric company rebates (including the installation).
I bought the Chargepoint Home Flex based on a consensus of good reviews, it is UL listed, has a 3-year warranty, and CP states that the hardware is OCPP compliant, so it can talk to utilites. Even though my utility does not currently have TOU rates/discounts, so hopefully this charger will be able to help me take advantage of that should it become available in the future. It's installed, but no car so I have not used it yet!

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just to confirm, for the Federal tax credit, is everyone who has already purchased using IRS 8911 to get their credit? Or, is there another Federal program that has incentives for the residential purchase of a charging station?

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911
That form is what I am planning to file. I'm not aware of any other.
Sponsored